FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » If you could ask OSC one serious question, what would it be?

Author Topic: If you could ask OSC one serious question, what would it be?
Observer
Member # 7256

- posted      Profile for Observer   Email Observer         Edit/Delete Post 
I attend Bethel College in Kansas and have been taking notes and thinking about OSC, and I have found that I have many questions to ask him on many different levels. Questions that I've always dreamed about asking him face to face. I figure that if I posted a new topic, where anyone could ask a question, whether it be philosophical, historical, etc., we could learn more about each other throughout our questions. I sincerely hope that this is a fruitful topic.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_11
Member # 7232

- posted      Profile for Saint_11   Email Saint_11         Edit/Delete Post 
I would ask what inspired him to write these books, about these topics, and how did he come up with these amazing charactors? [Dont Know]
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scott, Who do you think will make the Super Bowl?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
If he comes to my party in June I will ask him if he wants a hamburger, a hot dog or a bratwurst.

And if he wants corn on the cob.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
That's two questions msquared. [Wink]

*spoilers*

I asked him my question already at the signing last year...I said something like:

"Aside from your wonderful family, which is the piece of work that you feel the most attached to, or proud of?" Basically, what's your favorite book that you've written? [Wink]

He said something like: "You already mentioned that my family is the most important and it's the same in my books...Lost Boys is the book that I'm most attached to because it is about my family. It was the hardest book for me to write (having to imagine the death of your own child) and I'll probably never try something like that again."

Those are extreme paraphrases. [Smile] That's the gist though and I thought it was pretty cool.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
"Can my wife and I take you and your wife out to dinner?"
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have two patients and both are going to die at the same time and you can only save one. Which one will it be?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmph. More like two IMpatients....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I thought that book was autobiographical. I think it's my favourite. It made me cry last time I read it and I rarely do that...
Perhaps I'd ask him a nice safe question about opera or music in general rather than a political one.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I would ask him, Have you read Douglas Adams?
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
"Can I co-author a book with you? (with me as first author, of course)." [Smile]
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I know what Icarus would ask, these days.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
"Would you like to come to my wedding?"

(Or, if it's after I get married, I'd ask them out to dinner)

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked him once about walking around our Bootcamp classroom in bare feet-- only because Geoff said that as kids, they were never allowed to walk around barefoot.

OSC said he did it because his sandals made his feet sweat.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you be my lifeline?

Gee, what a convenient thread!

[Big Grin]

[ January 12, 2005, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wait. . . you said serious question.

My bad, yo.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably ask him if he had his vision of the physical laws in the Enderverse as a factor of his faith, of if he gained faith by what he found creating that universe.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
"What are you doing talking to me when you could be writing books?"
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I would ask he what he thinks about constantly getting bashed on his forums (much more so on Ornery). I suspect he would make some comment about how he doesn't let himself take it personally, but it would be really hard not to, which is why I think he doesn't go there much.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strawcatz
Member # 7215

- posted      Profile for Strawcatz   Email Strawcatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd ask if he has any regrets, and if so, what are they?
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
And he'd say there was this one guy, once, back in college . . . .

[Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjmelberg
Member # 7099

- posted      Profile for jjmelberg   Email jjmelberg         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you believe the spiritual things you believe?
Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why don't you come to Utah anymore?"

Actually, if I asked him this it would probably mean he was IN Utah...

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.