FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alvin VS Nafai

Author Topic: Alvin VS Nafai
MagusFire
Member # 6780

- posted      Profile for MagusFire   Email MagusFire         Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting little question that gets me thinking from time to time here . Who would win in an anything-goes flat-out battle between these two protagonists?
It would probably depend on where the battle took place. So let's say it's as on a neutral ground as possible. Somewhere on Earth, with varying terrain around (Alvin would have access to the forests and such, and Nafai would be wearing the Cloak). And just them- Alvin couldn't ask Peggy what to do, and Nafai couldn't have Mebbekew bash anyone over the head with a shovel [Razz]
I'd probably have to throw my money with Alvin, but I think it'd be a good fight anyway. Thoughts?

[ January 15, 2005, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: MagusFire ]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bork
Member # 7283

- posted      Profile for Bork   Email Bork         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing would happen, Alvin wouldnt want to kill Nafai and Nafai wouldn't want to kill Alvin, are you forgetting the mercy Alvin showed to Mike Fink and the mercy Nafai showed to Elemak? Both characters are generally good natured and wouldn't want to hurt anyone, if they ever met Nafai would more likely join Alvin than turn against him...

And dont talk about the slave trader Alvin killed, anyone who thinks people deserve to be enslaved because of their skin gets whats coming to them...

[ January 15, 2005, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Bork ]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagusFire
Member # 6780

- posted      Profile for MagusFire   Email MagusFire         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I thought someone would say this [Razz]

The fight is, obviously, hypothetically speaking. maybe the characters aren't fighting to the death, and just want to test eachother's powers. For argument's sake here though, let's say that they're fighting.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bork
Member # 7283

In that case Alvin would win without any trouble whatsoever, he could cripple Nafai before Nafai could even think to react. It wouldnt even be close...
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
And Nafai could fix himself in no time. Plus Alvin needs more time and thought to fix his energy. Also, I doubt Alvin could find a way into the Cloak.

Alvin has an advantage, though. He's not hooked up to the Oversoul so Nafai can't delve into his mind. And he can read Nafai's intentions a little early in his heartfire.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Close match, but Alvin has to kind of... go out of himself for his Doodle Bug. A perfect time to strike with the energy arc. While Alvin can read movements from muscles, Nafai can read the mind. So.. I'm with Nafai.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bork
Member # 7283

Alvin can hurt Nafai alot quicker than Nafai can heal himself, Alvin can work of will and doesn't have to put alot of thought into what he does, he just does it. He had to think about it when he was younger, but later on he gets to the point of doing it as easy as he breaths.

[ January 15, 2005, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Bork ]

Lille Mu
Member # 7115

- posted      Profile for Lille Mu   Email Lille Mu         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that both would die of jealousy when they 'd realize that the other is so strong and so good... ans so proud of himself...
Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm provided that the two of them could use their abilitis (Alvins "maker" and Nafai's cloak)

Alvin has the greater power/ability but I doubt he would use them...Nafai wouldn't want to use his powers but I think he would do what he thinks is best for "the future of the human race"

overall im not sure and I doubt that either would fight each other in the first place.

cool idea though...

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Ender would destroy them both, and then agonize about it for at least three more books.

He might even write his own book about it.

[ January 18, 2005, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, we had an "If ender and alvin fight, who will win" thread back in my n00b days. Alvin may have killed in anger before, but Nafai killed because the Oversoul told him to. So I can envision a case where Nafai might have to kill Alvin. Maybe that's how the next book ends. Seriously, I think Nafai would win. Because sci fi is better than fantasy.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In high school, we endlessly debated who would win -- high level D&D wizzard or a mechwarrior in his mech?

Which is even more lame than the lamest of all speculations -- who would in in a battle of the Enterprise vs. a Star Destroyer.

(answer? Star Destroyer.)

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play a fair amount of Gamma World, and was always struck by how easily a good mech from that game could have defeated a high level D&D wizard.

So what's your logic on the Star Destroyer being the victor against the Enterprise Porter? Oh, and which Enterprise?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and which is geekier--the Enterprise vs Star Destroyer debate, or arguing about what alignment various comic book characters would have, in D&D terms?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll put my money on Lanik Mueller.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
So what's your logic on the Star Destroyer being the victor against the Enterprise Porter? Oh, and which Enterprise?
The logic is actually pretty irrelevant. The real reason is that star destroyers are much cooler than the Enteterprise, and Darth Vader is cooler than any Star Trek captain.

But arguing about alignment might be even more geeky. I personally hate the D&D alignment system, and always have. It just doesn't match what real people are like.

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
"If two makers fight, that means that one of them is not a maker, but the contrary."
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lille Mu
Member # 7115

- posted      Profile for Lille Mu   Email Lille Mu         Edit/Delete Post 
But is Nafai a maker ?
Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dafadox
Member # 6885

- posted      Profile for dafadox   Email dafadox         Edit/Delete Post 
This is easy --- Nafai could use his connection with the Oversoul and make Alvin stupid, and make Alvin kill himself. Knowing Nafai, he would take a few shots and make Alvin feel bad about it =P
Posts: 31 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
First of which kind of stardestroyer are we talking about. While the enterprise might give a victory class stardestroyer a run for its money both an imperial stardestroyer and a !SUPER! stardestroyer would crush the enterprise like an insignificant bug. Also the turbolasers in starwars were way cooler/more powerfull than the puny "phasers" in startrek. [Evil Laugh]
As to Alvin vs Nafai it wouldn't be a matter of Nafai healing himself because Alvin could just make all his organs meld into eachother at once his organs would all become one big unfunctioning organ. Alvin could simaltaneously meld his lungs and heart shut aswell. No contest. Not to mention that Alvin could probably do the same organ melting trick to a brain and thus shutting down Nafai before he could react.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dafadox
Member # 6885

- posted      Profile for dafadox   Email dafadox         Edit/Delete Post 
Alvin could do all those things, yes, but Nafai would make the Oversoul make Alvin stupid and probably make him do it to himself first.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

I never got that far in the homecomeing series. I only read the first book and have meant to go back to it but I thought someone said that you have to be plugged into the oversoul for it to stupify you. Which Alvin would not have been.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"While the enterprise might give a victory class stardestroyer a run for its money both an imperial stardestroyer and a !SUPER! stardestroyer would crush the enterprise like an insignificant bug."

Nope. Why?
Because, all else being equal, the Enterprise can fire at warp, and can fire torpedoes that are themselves capable of warp velocities.

Think about that for a second. That means that there is absolutely no way -- none -- that the slower-than-light turbolaser batteries of an ISS could hit the Enterprise, and no way for an ISS to evade any of the Enterprise's shots.

Any scenario I've seen that involved a "fair fight" that didn't end with an Enterprise win either neglected warp-speed combat altogether or arranged to somehow knock out the Enterprise's warp drive.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall ever seeing warp-speed combat on ST.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Yes but because you have to take two completely different versions of physics (hyperspeed Vs.Warpspeed) you have to take some things into account. First off is that in starwars you can't fight in hyperspace so if we merge the phisics the stardestroyers would be able to fight at warpspeed aswell. Secondly the stardestroyers have numerous tracking beams that could grab the enterprise and hold it in place. Then the fact that turbolasers are slow would make no difference. Also a Superstar destroyer is so big and is protected with so many sheilds that it would take a long time for the enterprise to do any significant damage.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.