FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » My Bad...

Author Topic: My Bad...
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to say that I had this forum all wrong. I come from online boards where you have to crack some skulls in order to get anything heard. I mistakenly assumes the same was true of this board. I'm not above admitting when I am wrong and in this case I was definitely wrong. It looks like you guys have a quality community here and I didn't mean to frazzle so many of you by claiming that the "Oldies" were too present in every discussion thread. I didn't mean to piss anyone off. If there's one thing OSC has taught me it's to never stop learning and I'm glad I've had the opportunity to see the error of my ways. I think I have something to contribute to Hatrack and I'm sure the vets do too. My bad.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'll do fine.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's pretty classy of you. [Smile] Again, welcome aboard. [Wave] (And if OSC really taught you to never stop learning, I bet he'd appreciate it if you dropped him an E-mail to let him know. *grin*)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

how would I go about getting his e-mail address? [Wink]
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/contact.shtml

He has a lot of fans, and can't always reply. I find especially that thank you emails don't get replied to. But I think he really does appreciate them.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Ramdac. [Smile]

[ February 15, 2005, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Classy indeed, Ramdac. [Smile] Welcome to Hatrack.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Professor
Member # 5319

- posted      Profile for the Professor   Email the Professor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you think we have a good community here. I like it because there is a lot of continuity here, unlike many areas of the web where any interaction is gone once you log out for the night.

There are cliques, but cliques are inevitable in any social network, and they are not too excessive or distracting here, IMO.
quote:
In actual groups, imbalances develop because not everyone is interacting equally with everyone else at the same time. But once the imbalances make themselves felt, they exert force to resolve themselves, leading to changes in the group structure.

Cartwright and Harary showed mathematically that the outcome of this process is necessarily a group subdivided into cliques within which all ties are positive and between which all ties are negative. All groups in which there is any imbalance are in a state of slow transition towards cliques.

From http://www.analytictech.com/networks/history.htm
a brief history of social network analysis.
--Morbo

[ February 17, 2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: the Professor ]

Posts: 111 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

Hay Prof, the links work better if you don't include the comma in the link. Good input though.
Rasputin
Member # 5409

- posted      Profile for Rasputin   Email Rasputin         Edit/Delete Post 
No, cliques here are a giant pain and distracting.
This forum is mostly filled with naval-watchers and other boring folks. Become a Trekkie, you'll be better off. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

Hey Rasputin,
Take some friendly advice and don't go off on a tear making fun of those who post on this site, you will regret it later if you ever come around. Trust me. [No No]

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hee, I think I was one of the ones that made you regret that Ramdac. Nothing but love for you though. No hard feeling??? [Smile] [Blushing] [Big Grin]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Ramdac - Rasputin is also Morbo, and he's just saying the cliques are a pain because of the all the services I demand of him in my hoochie stable.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
WooHoo! I 've been promoted to hoochie! 'Bout time!
Toni [Kiss]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
You can recognize clique members by their tell-tale cry of "Hey, you, get on AIM!" in the second post of any given thread [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

I'd tell you to get on AIM, Geoff, but that last time was scarring.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm not in a clique........I don't have an AIM............. [Cry] [Evil]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

That's funny, Puppy.

Steve, you don't have to have AIM to be in a clique.

The term "clique" has very negative connotations, partly because of the cliquishly bullying, insulting and excluding that people in HS and grade school do.

But clique basically (at least from a mathematical POV) just means any subgroup of a large group where everyone knows everyone in the subgroup, (even if they don't realize it, it would show up on a social network graph.)

If you haven't guessed, social network analsis is my latest obsession.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=clique

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Ramdac- Advice........don't lie at all on Hatrack.........or your Hatrack life will be scarred forever.........and people won't trust you........and they will all start yelling at you about how much of a liar you are.........believe me I just suffered through it..........
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Ramdac- Advice........don't lie much on Hatrack.....that way when you decide to tell a real Whopper, some people will fall for it. [Evil Laugh]

Just kidding. Tell the truth. And stay in school kids, just say no.......

Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Ramdac- Advice........don't lie at all on Hatrack.........or your Hatrack life will be scarred forever.........and people won't trust you........and they will all start yelling at you about how much of a liar you are.........believe me I just suffered through it..........
It blows my mind that people are still coddling this kid.

[ February 22, 2005, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! I never got coddled! [Mad]
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

[Confused] ???? [Dont Know]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.