FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender's Game RPG for Xbox

Author Topic: Ender's Game RPG for Xbox
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
how sweet would that be? c'mon.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not that much because whats great about Enders game is you get in his head and get to see what hes going through. If you took that out theirs really not that much for an RPG. I mean thats a REAL big world the ENTIRE battle school! I mean it might be alright if done correctly but it would have to be so suped up that it wouldn't even be much like the book by the end of it. Better to leave well enough alone. Sorry I don't agree. No hard feelings. [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mindbowels
Member # 7407

- posted      Profile for Mindbowels           Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree that an Enders Game game should be made, a stand alone one player xbox game is not the way to go (IMHO). I think the game could be best implemented in a MMO environment. Imagine it, joining in a lowly newbie army, getting drafted and working your way up the ranks, interacting with other players between games in the game room. This idea is one I think about often; it would be a lot of fun.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think an Ender's Shadow RPG would be awesome OR combine Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow into one RPG. Ya, that would be really cool. At the beginning of the RPG, you can play as either Ender or Bean (you can choose which character you want to play). Then you start as that character and you'd go through their storylines. I think what would be really cool about the Bean storyline is that Bean got to explore the Battle school more. So if you want a character who explores the Battleschool more and is part of Ender's team, then you can play Bean. If you want a character that is more about the Battleschool games and is the leader, then you pick Ender.

Also, you could even have two unlockable characters. Maybe Petra and somebody else. Not sure who. Heck, if they wanted to, they could just have Bean and Petra as unlockable character. Or just Bean. Play Ender's storyline and beat it and you unlock Beans! [Smile]

I think the game could be alot of fun no matter how they did it. They could easily make the Battleschool enviorment (Star Wars: KOTR is a huge RPG that spans worlds. The battle school area, which is one huge area, would be no problem). Though prob not a turn-based system. The system would prob be more action-RPG.

I definitly don't want it to be an on-line RPG, cause I'm not into those. I want a cool off-line RPG!

DF2506
" Why is everybody so obessed with on-line games anymore...? "

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
A single-player RPG or platformer set in the Battle School would be almost impossible to do well. As has been pointed out, a MMO -- especially with FPS elements -- might actually work.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
And of course there is VBS which you could all join........*humbly promotes VBS* [Big Grin]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game isn't a broad enough IP for an MMO, in my opinion. It would work well as multiplayer shooter based on small, individual servers. But an MMO would get boring really fast.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* I was thinking a multiplayer shooter built around something like league play, actually. But you still run into issues like "won't that be like an anti-grav mod for UT?" Even what I consider the best game concept -- the spaceship simulator -- is most likely to come off feeling like Homeworld with more realistic physics.

It's hard for me to come up with a really compelling game idea; the ones that would be fun are also universal enough to mostly seem cliche nowadays.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game would make a pretty good MMO, if was set in in Battle School and you chose your own battle schooler your Army and worked your way up the ranks till you became a commander. I guess it'd be kind of like VBS, no?
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
whats VBS? email me at sid_meier@hotmail.com in case I end up in a coma or something.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
It WOULD feel somewhat like Unreal with zero-G. I'm hoping, actually, that they could make it more like Unreal Championship 2 with zero-G and the squad commands of Brothers in Arms.

Not everything has to be completely out-of-the-blue original to be great.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Star Craft, for example.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I'm hoping, actually, that they could make it more like Unreal Championship 2."

Spoken like someone who's thinking too much about consoles and not about REAL games. [Smile]

It's Unreal Tournament, Geoff, and don't you forget it. *grin*

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I meant Unreal Championship 2 — specifically, the acrobatic movements through space. Ender's Game would work much better from a third-person perspective so that you can see your character and use him as a reference point for the confusing 3D space ... and then execute acrobatic moves like the ones Ender trained his army with.

I can't imagine a game doing that stuff nearly as well from a first-person perspective. Hence the reference to Unreal Championship 2. Have you seen how good that game's movements look? Don't dismiss something because of its platform [Smile]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Okay, okay. [Smile] But I gotta tell you, this whole "shooter with a gamepad" thing just doesn't work for me.
quote:

ppppppppppppppppppppppp

As I was typing, Sophie felt so passionately about this issue that she leaned over and grabbed the keyboard, apparently to express that she shares my opinion of console shooters. [Smile]

So if you've got any pull, be sure to tell the people in charge that if they want to keep the all-important Tom-and-Sophie demographic, they need to design it for PC. *smile*

[ February 23, 2005, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

The starcraft idea got me going. What if they stayed away from "Ender" completely and simply made a RTS (Real Time Strategy) like starcraft where you have to lead Earth troops against buggers. Also their could be a bugger campaign aswell. That COULD be cool. Your thoughts...
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of what you guys were mostly thinking. A third person shooter type of deal with a matchmaking thing like Halo's. I dunno, it could be an awesome game, but it would take some work to get it right.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The starcraft idea got me going. What if they stayed away from "Ender" completely and simply made a RTS (Real Time Strategy) like starcraft where you have to lead Earth troops against buggers. Also their could be a bugger campaign aswell. That COULD be cool. Your thoughts...
In other words, Starship Troopers the video game. In other words, Starcraft. I already own that game. I don't need to buy it again.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

VBS= Virtual Battle School; a forum on this website were you select an army to join and write a fictional Battle School studnet. It is set 3-4 years before Enders's Game. If you wish to join now isn't the best time because right now we are implementing the schoolwide plot, //Integration.

Game- I was thinking. Maybe there could be two or three games in one box. One game is Battle School, another is the simulator, and the final the Buggers. In all of them but the final disc you would command an army, you could also shoot and etc, and on the final disc you are a lone Bugger ship and you follow commands you recieve from the Queen. It could be for XBox, Playstation 2, GameCube, and PC. I don't know just a crazy little idea of mine.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. I remember when ideas like that sounded so beautiful and realistic ... [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Anticool their are tons of RTS out their each with their own things to add to the game. In Red Alert you can run over enemy foot soldiers, in starcraft you get three very different species, in Total Annihalation you can get hit with friendly fire, in preatorians you can ambush and you get bonus points for flanking an enemy. Each game is essentially different versions of the same theme but each is different and a true RTS lover, like myself, appreciates them all equally. Also it would not be starship troopers because the buggers had ships and advanced technology, this would differantiate them from the zerg in starcraft aswell. I think a Enders game would be fun but as I said before I thought it *could* be a nice idea not that I was gung ho for it. I just think that it would work better than an RPG or a first person shooter. The only really good movie or book spinoff game I have played was "Enter the Matrix" and that was because it had original characters set in the same world so it didn't have to follow any preset movie/book storyline which can be hard to do. I think this is the biggest problem you would run into.
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only really good movie or book spinoff game I have played was "Enter the Matrix" and that was because it had original characters set in the same world so it didn't have to follow any preset movie/book storyline which can be hard to do
The LOTR games? Goldeneye? A few of the Star Wars games are good.

There's been some good movie games in the past couple of years. I wouldn't really call Enter the Matrix one of them.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
The only really good movie or book spinoff game I have played was "Enter the Matrix" and that was because it had original characters set in the same world so it didn't have to follow any preset movie/book storyline which can be hard to do.
Steve?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I didn't say that......the PS2 version is pretty good..........but I think the best movie video game is Lord of the Rings:Return of the King.........it is a great game.........great action.........and because it is based on a book and/or movie it has a good story..........
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Allright I concede that their are a few exceptions to every rule and I have not played the LOTR games. As with the starwars games those again alot of the time had independant story lines within the "Star Wars Universe" just like enter the matrix. As to the bond games those are really good but there really isnt a ton of storyline to them, for the most part its just a great shooter game. The perfect example is Perfect Dark was goldeneye only better and it wasnt bond at all and still was just as good of a game. Like I said I havent played the LOTR games but a lot of spin off games do turn out suckie. I mean their are exceptions to every rule but come on you have to agree with me atleast somewhat on this one.
ThumperXC
Member # 7455

- posted      Profile for ThumperXC   Email ThumperXC         Edit/Delete Post 
The physic involved in a null g shooter would be very hard, specially when it comes to the rebounding off walls. The complex enviroment would be hard to make acessible unless it is a part of a MMORPG, I'm not a RPG guy but this one would keep me hooked. If it would need to be third person with maybe first person like splinter cell shooting. The rebounds and manuvers would be easier to do and more complex as a player gains skill in a system. That would be great but need to be done right and ture to the books, yet not set in the same timeperiod, make it a few yearts before ender comes. Thaat's just My thoughs on it.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.