FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » SOTG- 1st Three Chapters

Author Topic: SOTG- 1st Three Chapters
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I am intrigued, but once again the whole (admittedly intended to smoke out council members) conversation between Alai and Peter was entirely too full of commentary about the present situation in the Middle East for me. It's not that the views bother me, but that it takes me out of the story. That's my problem with all the Shadow books. Having them set only a century or so away (when reading EG, I'd always imagined that several centuries had passed) from the present makes them too obviously thinly veiled political commentaries rather than books crafted with story in mind. The Han Tzu sequence also was tinged with this sort of barely concealed commentary.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to add that the return of

SPOILER!

Mazer Rackham was really badass!

[ February 23, 2005, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: David Bowles ]

Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
You make a good point. One thought is it thinly vieled commentary in the sence that OSC is trying to get his points across or is it just OSC trying to get us to think about things that we have not before. Like ways that these other countries could think and react to the things the United States does.
Also I do feel that the political feel of the shadow series has dampened it a somewhat. I like the Ender series better and now that you have pointed it out, I think the politics running through the shadow series is one of the reasons that I like it less. Still like it though, just less.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HappyPanda
Member # 7326

- posted      Profile for HappyPanda   Email HappyPanda         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the political aspect.

It feels like I'm watching a giant game of Axis and Allies being played out.

I can sympathise with your point of view though... Since I pretty much agree with all of OSC's essays, I'm bound to like the politics of his books.

( :

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"One thought is it thinly vieled commentary in the sence that OSC is trying to get his points across or is it just OSC trying to get us to think about things that we have not before."

What would be the difference, exactly?

The issue is not whether he's trying to get us to think, but rather whether he's being didactic in so trying. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.