FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » SOTG Bean Q *SPOILER*

Author Topic: SOTG Bean Q *SPOILER*
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question for anyone who has already read (or written) SOTG...

************* BIG SPOILER ***********************

At the end of the book, Bean and his chidren are zipping away from earth, never to be heard from again...

Will we? Will there be another book in the Enderverse where Bean returns? I'm thinking that with Jane's instantaneous transportation technology and all that good stuff, that Bean could be healed.

Otherwise, just letting him blast off into nowhere until the end of time would really suck - it's not a heroic death, but rather much more of a death-in-life.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's apparently gonna be one more book that ties the two series together, and I was thinking pretty much the way you were. Bean could probably use the instantaneous transportation to heal himself, although by the time they get 3000 or whatever years into the future, he'd probably be dead, even with the relativity(but maybe not, [Dont Know] ). His kids could certainly live that long.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I never even thought of that. Going "outside" to cure them.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
As for curing Bean, why wouldn't stopping his pituitary glands as done with most giants after they've had their Guiness Book glory work?

It's a shame that Card used the Speaker Trilogy to follow Ender through his entire life. That being said, there could be some FUN, twisted encounters with Bean meeting Ender's erm, shall we say "posterity."

And we all thought Children of the Mind was strange taken out of context.

edit: Fixed unclear syntax.

[ February 27, 2005, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: theamazeeaz ]

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what will happen to the baby with Randi …..
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gingerjam
Member # 7113

- posted      Profile for gingerjam   Email gingerjam         Edit/Delete Post 
great i looked at this thread thinking "how bad can the spoiler be the book isn't out yet"... so i had to order it from Amazon cos it's not out in Australia and i think i'll have to stay away from hatrack until the book gets all the way over here!

maybe i can do some memory repression therapy till then.... [Wink]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
gingerjam,

The official release date is March 8th but we started to see them in the bookstores last week over here in the US. I got my copy on Friday. Be careful where to look on the board. Sometimes people slips without “spoiler” notice. Of course you shouldn’t be reading this thread. [Wink]

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished it last night. I loved the book. An author like Robin Hobb writes incredibly beautiful prose, in my opinion, but she takes 10 chapters to have the protagonist meet disaster. I like OSC's tempo. In every chapter they are kicking but and taking names.

I was happy with how it ended. It wasn't happily ever after for everyone, but I think the ends were tied up as much as they could be. Things are earth were as settled as they could be. When I started reading the early chapter about Randi (was that her name?) I though, "crap, how many books is it going to take to finish this?" But I think the way they ended it worked. Obviously there is more that can be written, but it doesn't leave the earth stuff hanging.

One part that I didn't like was how the members of Ender's Jeesh, when they got together, still bantered with each other and Graff/Rackam like they were 14 years old still. Then I realized I just WANTED them to act more mature, but you could make an argument that while they managed adult geopolitical/war kinds of issues like adults, there would be good reason to suspect that their social development would be lagging.

The first chapter, with Hot Soup in China, is one of my favorites the series.

Someone should have a site where people can submit short stories about all of the Battle School grads going to the new colonies.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it would have been an interresting tie-in if Volescu's virus would have been somehow launched into space and was the start of the descoladers. Although 3000 years might be too short for the descoladers to develop, send out the probes, and then the piggies develop.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet Anton's Key is probably related to what happened on Path, except, it was altered so that OCD, and more convenient control over the geniouses was the result.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.