FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New Interview with OSC with new Enderverse Info

Author Topic: New Interview with OSC with new Enderverse Info
regis
Member # 2223

- posted      Profile for regis   Email regis         Edit/Delete Post 
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp ?userid=Lf4070zA4k&ean=9780312857585&displayonly=ITV#ITV

Extract:
OSC: I am definitely writing a novel that takes place after the events of Children of the Mind, which brings together a few threads from the Shadow books and all the dangling threads from the Speaker trilogy (Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind). That one will be called Shadows in Flight. I will also write a novel about Mazer Rackham that is a prequel to the whole series. It is also possible that Tor Books and I will initiate a series of novels (or at least short story anthologies) by other writers about what happened to the kids from Ender's Jeesh after the events of Shadow of the Giant. But no final decision has yet been made on that. But if we don't find writers who can create stories that in my judgment carry on the kind of story I tried to write in my Ender stories, we simply won't do it. Better not to do it at all than to do it badly. And...this next Christmas [2005], we will publish A Battle School Christmas (or some variation on that title), which takes place before Ender comes to Battle School. It will not be a "feel-good" Christmas book in the normal vein -- for one thing, angels and miracles have no place in serious science fiction. It will be as tough a story of kids training for war as any of the other stories in the series. And some of the kids who end up in Ender's Jeesh will be in the book.

[ March 09, 2005, 03:54 AM: Message edited by: regis ]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
*my head a-splode*
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

quote:
PGA: Out of all the Battle School graduates, which character is most like the young Orson Scott Card and why?

OSC: None of them. I was never that smart and never that willing to submit to authority. I would have been one of the kids turned down for Battle School, who then told anybody who listened that Battle School only tested for a certain kind of intelligence and actually the smartest and most creative kids were never sent up into space. But I wouldn't have believed it myself and would have considered myself a failure all my life because I hadn't been chosen

So basically, the answer is Peter. Interesting.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Considering he's the coolest character in the series, it's not too surprising.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, good point AC. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
YEAH!!! I remember, probably five years ago, writing an e-mail to the site administrator asking about a sequel to Children of the Mind. I was kindly, but firmly, told that there would never be a sequel. I'm so glad that OSC changed his mind. YEAH!!!
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
My word! Its official! More Ender books. *Pounding Chest to Restart Heart*

I can't wait but did anyone else think that the Ender in First Meetings sounded different than the Ender we know. It has been a while since OSC last wrote ender. Does anyone think that the Ender in these new books might have a different feel and in doing so take something away from the story?

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmine
Member # 7370

- posted      Profile for Jasmine   Email Jasmine         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!! After reading SotG, i was all sad cuz there wouldn't be anymore books on ender and bean, etc. Now there's gonna be another one [Big Grin] YES!!!
Posts: 146 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

20-year-old Ender did sound different from 10-year-old Ender or 30-year-old Ender.

But then, I sounded different at 20 than at 10 or 30.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Does anyone think that the Ender in these new books might have a different feel and in doing so take something away from the story?"

Where do you see any suggestion that Ender will be in any of these new books? Do you mean Neo-Peter?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, at least three more promised Enderverse books. I'm particularily looking forward to the Mazer Rackham novel, since it will give OSC a chance to make a fresh new story without any need for re-introducing already-developed characters. I hope it makes a pretty good stand-alone novel.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they have Ender as the main character in the sequal to Children of the Mind. I have never, and will probably never, read the Enderverse novels. My main Interest was always Ender. As soon as he left the picture as center stage, I no longer continued reading the series.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

You are missing out on some good fiction then.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I hope they have Ender as the main character in the sequal to Children of the Mind."

Have you read Children of the Mind? Because it would be a very, very dull book indeed if the Ender at the end of that book were the main character in its sequel. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom you were right in your post earlier but OSC himself is now asking for a Ender related title and this book would have Ender so my fears are real. I am not terribly worried because of how good a writer he is but it is a point to ponder.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the book OSC is speaker of would take place well before CotM. Currect me if I'm wrong, I'm too lazy to look it back up, but he's talking about a story about Ender after leaving the first colony. During the time of "Speaker" while he is still young. So, don't fear. Ender will not have taken the turn yet into the character you grew to like less. [Smile]
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the title of the after-CotM book is "Shadows in Flight" and Ender isn't in it (except insofar is Peter, operated by Ender's aiua, "is" ender).

The book with Ender in the title will be after Giant and before Speaker, and Ender will definitely be in it - ender the teenager or young adult, not ender the middle-aged guy looking for a family.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I know at a signing you said that you didn't want to write a book after COTM since you felt that especially with the Desecoladors (can't remember how to spell that, sorry [Embarrassed] ) the moral dilema was so simple, and really, not even a dilema. Does this mean that it will mostly be about Peter (and his companion [Smile] ) in a "quest" for power/recognition for Lustiana?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, even if you don't respond to this question, something inside of me is telling me you're going to object to the use of the word "quest", though I'm not yet sure why. So if that little voice is right, I apologize. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, the title of the after-CotM book is "Shadows in Flight" and Ender isn't in it (except insofar is Peter, operated by Ender's aiua, "is" ender).

The book with Ender in the title will be after Giant and before Speaker, and Ender will definitely be in it - ender the teenager or young adult, not ender the middle-aged guy looking for a family.

Thanks Hatrack Member # 209! [Smile]
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
I think most of us would like to know more about the Descoladores (Heh, I'm not sure if that's right either). But I'm not sure what a whole novel based around them would be like. There would be the obvious question of Ramen or Varelse, of course, which could lead to some interesting plot-lines, but a lot of that kind of stuff was covered in the Speaker books.

But I'm just blowing hot air, since I won't be writing the novel. However, it's good to know that whatever Card does with it, it'll be good!

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.