FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Question For OSC About the SOTG Ending

Author Topic: Question For OSC About the SOTG Ending
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Because Mr. Card has been making appearances on the board these last few days, I wanted to take the opportunity to ask him something that has been on my mind since I finished Shadow of the Giant:

We all know that Mark Trevors presented the idea of SOTG ending with a conversation between Peter and Ender. It was stated that you preferred his idea over the one you had previously conceived. However, out of pure curiosity, how was Shadow of the Giant originally meant to end?

Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
with a six-year-old Ender waking up in bed screaming that he'd just had the most intense and bizarre dream about saving the world...
His loving older brother Peter consoled him and suggested that he go back to sleep since he was beginning the first grade the next day.

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Brian, i wish YOU had made YOUR suggestion before I made the horrible mistake of ending Shadow of the Giant the miserable way that I did.

My original plan was simply to end it with the departure of a certain spaceship. In other words, omit the chapter that centers on the scene between Ender and Peter, and you have the ending I was going to use.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sooo glad you put that chapter in. You did a great job with it.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I heard that Bean was going to die at the beginning of the book. What ever happened to that idea?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagusFire
Member # 6780

- posted      Profile for MagusFire   Email MagusFire         Edit/Delete Post 
something tells me that it was scrapped [Big Grin]
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really surprised that Bean survived. In a sick way, maybe even a little disapointed. Leaving him alive really leaves me hanging. It doesn't feel like the shadow series is really over yet.

Of course since the next book will have the word shadow in it maybe it's not over at all.

Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a tiny bit more about Peter and Petra together, but after thinking about it I guess there probably wasn't very much to say about it.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

- posted      Profile for Suri-cool   Email Suri-cool         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I just have to say that the ending was amazing, and soooo sad too. [Cry] Yes I cried. But also I have a question, does that mean you wouldn't have had Peter and Petra marryying if you ended it like that? Also another reason I'm happy you made that last chapter is the whole coming home thing I liked.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.