FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Storytelling As Archaeology

Author Topic: Storytelling As Archaeology
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Something I've come to realize in my own crafting of a story, I've now seen come across in the ever-expanding Ender Saga:

A basic story was conceived, and thought complete. Then, new elements are written/discovered that tie into the overall story, elements that some readers, if not familiar with the original previously-thought-complete version, would think must have been originally planned in there, because of how well the puzzle-pieces fit.

This is happening with my own Story. There was a concept that first came to me in high school, and I immediately wrote an outline.

That outline, 8 years later, while still extremely accurate, is now very much out of date detail wise. New things have come to light about the characters, whole new characters, events, cultures, and history have been developed - but, amazingly, they never destroyed or changed the original progression and purpose of the story - they enhanced it.

It's like explorers who'd find pieces of an ancient civilization - definitive conclusions would be made based on those first observations, and a history of these people would be written.

Later down the road, new fragments are found that don't contradict the previous assumptions that came from the fragments, but increase the understanding - more puzzle pieces added creating a richer, more fascinating picture.

I love to think of storytelling and the crafting of a story being somewhat the same way - the story already exist - it's there. We just need to dig it up, and not remain content with mere fragments. The 'idea' is the primary fragments found. The story is within the details that take time and effort to find.

One of the things that makes being a writer worth it are those moments of epiphany - when a new fragment is discovered, and you notice that this is exactly what was missing. You know a caracter did a particular action, that it was a very important element to the story, but the reason why he did it wasn't quite clear yet. Then, another character materializes out of the fragments and, through a course of events unforseen, creates the motivation for the original character to act the way we always knew he would.

Some would say it seems like I'm being rigid and forcing the characters to follow the story - but the amazing thing is, the story and characters are COMPLETELY fluid - I've made what I thought were major departures in story development, abandoning an earlier concept, only to find that this new 'departure' actually creates a bridge to make the orignal 'un-usable' idea actually have a real integral purpose, and actually have more meaning than it originally had.

It's these epiphanies that make storytelling a joy, and keep me going. It's confirmation to me that yes, this is a good story, this is worth telling - I just needed more time and more experience to fully grab the 'tools' to be able to properly display this work to the world.

I'm reminded also of what Scott said in writing the story 'Philotes' which eventually became a part of Xenocide. Not only does the story have to be ready to come forth, we have to be ready to do something with it when it does.

I love storytelling. When it's hard, it's the toughest thing in the world. But when those bursts of inspiration come, man, just try holding me back.

Has anyone else here experienced anything similar with any of their story-building/discovering processes?

[ March 16, 2005, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! [Smile]

I've never thought about my writing this way. In a small way, I think I can see some parallels. I don't know if my experience is quite what you're describing, though.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
That describes pretty much exactly my feelings while makeing stories. I just wish I liked writing as much as I like making stories. Unfortunatly the only only way I can seem to motivate my self is in the interactive internet Role playing stories. I found that when writing stories with people a few paragraphs at a time it is easier for me to find the motivation to write. I think problem with writing by my self is I make the stories up far faster then I can write and how do I motivate my self to write chapter two of a story when my mind is working on chapter 8 of the next book.

Where as I have a easier time with the interactive writing becaues even though my overall idea for a plot stays whole each time someone else posts their part of the story I have to alter my own plot a little (or alot) to keep with what they wrote thus bringing my mind back to the story at hand. So even though I might have a basic plot line for two or three future stories with other people taking turns writing a few paragraphs at a time it keeps most of my attention on the part of the story we are actully writing thus keeping me motivated to write.

Hmmm.... not sure if I made any sense what so ever up there [Dont Know]

Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
how do I motivate my self to write chapter two of a story when my mind is working on chapter 8 of the next book.
Boy, I know this.

Here's a piece of motivation: sometimes in writing chapter 2, you'll inadvertantly create a character, or situation that will directly affect Chapter 8 of the next book.

One of the characters that I created the latest in the process has ended up becoming one of the most important characters in the entire saga. It's near impossible for me to think of how I planned the tale before him - but there it was. This guy doesn't make the story, but he helps make the story good.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I love listening to storytellers who know what they're doing. This is how it works, folks.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
*rubs a couple bones together to see if they spark*
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
This is very, very interesting!
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.