FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OK what should i read next

Author Topic: OK what should i read next
Locke2525
Member # 7554

- posted      Profile for Locke2525   Email Locke2525         Edit/Delete Post 
i was a big fan of enders game..and the whole shadow series..im gonna try and start speaker again..but..what are other good series...fast paced like enders game and the others...i heard good things about alvin
Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tales of Alvin Maker are great but I would read the Homecoming series next. Amazing novels. The first book is The Memory of Earth. Very powerful series, you'll love them.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Or not.)

I recommend Enchantment or the Alvin Maker books if you want fantasy, the Worthing saga for sci-fi.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoddessVirlomi
Member # 7532

- posted      Profile for GoddessVirlomi   Email GoddessVirlomi         Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. In my opinion, it is the best thing OSC has ever written.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Well locke if your looking for OSC books, i reconmend Pastwatch, a little slow in the begging but good middle through end. If your looking for any author, i reconmend The 5 people your meet in Heaven, Of Mice and Men, Marathon Man, some books i recently read for fun and all where great.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
syipress
Member # 7569

- posted      Profile for syipress   Email syipress         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also reccomend the Homecoming series. Think Noah's Arc sci-fi style (sort of [Razz] )
If you are looking for something other than Orson Scott Card, C.J. Cherryh's Faded Sun Trilogy is very very good.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC novels/series

Read the rest of the ender series just because you should but for me personally I have enjoyed the Alvin Maker series much more as a whole. I have also loved Pastwatch and Enchantment, I also really enjoyed Lovelock (still waiting for the next one...) You really can't go wrong with any of his stuff. I've enjoyed every book I've read of his. And I'm pretty sure that would be most of them, although I know I've missed a few of his earlier works but I bet they are good too.

Other authors you might want to check out

Two authors I think are a must at the moment are:

1.) Robin Hobb. She has three seperate but interlocked trilogies (the Assasins Trilogy, The Live Ship Trilogy and The Tawney Man Trilogy. In that Order) Absolutely amazing stuff and I found her through a recomendation by MR. Card himself in one of his reviews.

2.) George R.R. Martin. I was turned onto his series (A Song of Ice and Fire) by those here at Hatrack and am eternally grateful. Some of the best writting I've ever come across. You both love and hate almost every character at some point in the story. THat may sound strange but his gift for writing character and perspective is awesome. It leaves you wanting more, like oh... I don't know, A Feast for Crows, Maybe?

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
syipress
Member # 7569

- posted      Profile for syipress   Email syipress         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a Song of Ice and Fire is very good. Beatnix, I know your pain. I can't wait until a Feast for Crows comes out. Book 4 in the series in case anyone doesn't know.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I forgot. I also really liked Wyrms and Songmaster, if you are looking for a stand alone book.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No!!! Don't read Wyrms!!!! It's the only OSC book I fervently don't recommend. It's really, really disturbing.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
... and AWESOME! Don't forget AWESOME, ketch!
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

KetchupQueen said-
No!!! Don't read Wyrms!!!! It's the only OSC book I fervently don't recommend. It's really, really disturbing.

That's why I love it!!!!
[The Wave]

AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I found Hart's Hope much more disturbing than Wyrms.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

Treason is another great book. Disturbing and beautiful.
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Songmaster
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Pastwatch, then the Homecoming series.

How old are you? If you're older than 16, then Saints.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locke2525
Member # 7554

- posted      Profile for Locke2525   Email Locke2525         Edit/Delete Post 
does it have boobies or something?
Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's just probably boring if you're younger, the same way that Silas Marner is boring if you're younger.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Treason had Boobies. More than most people. even.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

Oh, how could I forget about Saints?! That's an awesome book!
But this stuff is hard for me. Picking books that I love of OSC is crazy, 'cause I love almost all. So I should just say- I wouldn't reccomend Treasure Box, Homebody, or Lost boys. Those are the only Card books that didn't quite click with me.

definitelynotvichysoisse
Member # 7559

- posted      Profile for definitelynotvichysoisse   Email definitelynotvichysoisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Pastwatch and Songmaster. They're all really good though.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
augirl987
Member # 7577

- posted      Profile for augirl987   Email augirl987         Edit/Delete Post 
Read Dune by Frank Herbert!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.