FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Young Writers' Group (inspired by Boot Camp)

Author Topic: Young Writers' Group (inspired by Boot Camp)
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to thank "Uncle Orson" for his inspiration and encouragement to all novice writers. After attending Boot Camp and finding my "tribe", I found myself treading a different path than my fellow writers. I've gone on to teach and work toward a gifted/talented license. As part of my final project, I've begun a Young Writer's Group for middle schoolers.

It's been an amazing ride. I've used techniques from Boot Camp, OSC's fine books on writing, and methods that work for my fellow Boot Campers. I'm trying to give the kids each other, the way OSC gave the Boot Campers each other. It's a community of young writers who now know it's okay to be weird, and that they have others to share their work with.

Just thought you'd like to know!

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, that's thrilling to hear. As far as I know, not a soul in the world has ever tried to WRITE like me, but I'm honored and happy if you take some part of my method of TEACHING writing and use it.

Because there's no way I can teach any large number of writers no matter how many classes and workshops I teach, and I think at least some of what I offer is really important. So thanks for taking what you found most useful and passing it along.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I've managed to take 1,000 Ideas sessions and abbreviate them to 30-45 minutes (in order to fit them into a class period). It still works just fine.

One of the hardest things to do is get the kids to feel comfortable sharing their work. Some of them have very big Editors, and they are afraid to look the fool. I make sure to share my own writing, too, especially the stuff that sucks. It seems to help.

Yesterday, for the first time, some of my young writers submitted work into a couple of teen contests. I'm so proud of them! Also, several have decided to participate in our public library's teen poetry reading. I'm bragging, I know, but these young writers make me happy.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Satlin
Member # 1593

- posted      Profile for Satlin   Email Satlin         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome! My brother teaches a writing coarse at my high school and I've been prodding him to get some of OSC's books on writing. One day he'll crumble [Wink]

As a young writer myself, I can appreciate the service you're providing. Thank you for doing this!

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

I MUST brag! One of my young poets got brave enough to submit her work to a contest. She is going to be published! Of course, it's one of those vanity anthologies, but I'm just pleased she got the nerve to send something out. Tonight, she and a few other young poets are going to read their work PUBLICLY at the local library during "Teen Poetry Cafe". I can't wait to go hear them!
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

I'm proud again.

6 young poets read their work at the public library. One of my writers won $50 from a poetry contest. All of them are rewriting and revising, and critiquing each other. I've been giving them genuine Boot Camp critiques, although I work hard to say things gently and keep encouraging the kids. They are so supportive of each other, too! And a lot of these kids are "weird" or antisocial or apathetic in school...

Thanks again for the inspiration to start this Young Writers' Club. I'm soooooo very proud of them!

EyeRock
Member # 7929

- posted      Profile for EyeRock   Email EyeRock         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny -where are you? My 10 year old won a school writing contest and I'd love for him to have the experience you descibe. I write science (snore) and my Dad wrote nuclear physics/engineering stuff (snore snore) so I want to give him a more creative perspective!
Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
"Gently" and "encouragingly" are vital in the critiquing process. Also, the idea that the critic might be wrong! (I always despise people who are cruel with the excuse that "I have to tell the truth, don't I?" My answer is: You don't KNOW the truth. You only know your own stupid opinion. <grin>)

I wish our Young Writers area here on Hatrack had been able to do for the kids who came there what you are doing for YOUR students. We just discontinued it because, after years of trying, we realized that the kids who would take their work and the work of others seriously enough to GROW were just too few. Kids are young enough that they really DO need adult supervision in order to maintain a civilized and focused WORKshop. There were always some kids who were great and deserved better; but they remained a fairly weak minority. So we shut it down.

What you're doing works because THEY'RE talented and eager, and YOU'RE there to help them take themselves and their own work seriously.

Getting them to overcome fear of shame (not actualy shame, mind you, just the DREAD of it) is one of the most vital things you can do. Thanks for doing it!

By the way, I have the 1000-ideas session down to 45 minutes or less, too. I just leave out some of my riffs ... less babble from me, more stories from them.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

I'm in Indiana. You might check out local libraries and colleges to see if they have any programming that would help your young writer. There's also a lot of really good stuff on the internet for creative kids. Start with Stone Soup (a children's magazine) and start following links!
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

I always tell the kids that they are the writers, and it's their choice about what to do with suggestions. "You are the Writer" is a very empowering phrase. It's what I tell kids during ISTEP when I'm not allowed to help them at all. It makes them feel a little more confident.

I think the key to working with young writers is the mentoring aspect. They need to work with someone who understands where they are. A mentor has "been there". And they can bridge that gap between inexperience and tough independent writing.

I must say, this Young Writer's Club is a dream come true. I've created a web site along the same lines, and fugu (on the BFFAC forum) is supposedly working on getting it up for me. If it ever goes through, I'll post links here. And I'll be canvassing for e-mentors. [Big Grin]

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

And OSC is right about adult leadership. There's a tendency to get off-track. I always allow some transitional time for the kids to chat and be silly, but then we get to work. They CARE, so it works. But they do want and need that guidance, even if they complain about it or pretend it doesn't matter.
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Just one question--are people under 18 now allowed to join the regular Writers' Workshop forum? Or do I have to start looking for a new place to seek advice on my work?
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the Writer's Workshop is still for those over 18.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lacerta
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for Lacerta   Email Lacerta         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
" (I always despise people who are cruel with the excuse that "I have to tell the truth, don't I?" My answer is: You don't KNOW the truth. You only know your own stupid opinion. <grin>)

My current English Teacher has a PHD in Metaphysics... And he actually makes us think. For the past few years, the only thing I would learn from my teachers was 'read more and you'll learn more'...not always true. Anyhow, i digress. He has a quote that made me think awhile back.." What is the truth? Those who tell the truth dont usually know the truth." There was more to it, but I dont remember...Sorry, what you said reminded me of this
Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved my high school English teacher for just this reason. We'd discuss what this or that was about, and he'd never voice his opinion. He kept saying that his opinion was just that - an opinion - and we were smart enough to figure out what it meant to us. And as far as that went, including essays and exams included, as long as we could back it up, it was good.

He was incredible.

Jenny, good for you!

Memsahib Dude Sir, one of these years, I'll make it to your boot camp. Man, I'd love to do that!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.