FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC and parenting

Author Topic: OSC and parenting
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I once ran across an article OSC wrote about "civilizing" children. It was lovely, but I can't remember where it was. Anybody have a link?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, part of this column was about civilizing children. I don't know if that's the one you meant, though.

Edit: Actually, this article and the one right after it are more likely to be what you were looking for.

[ March 19, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, what I'm looking for is more obscure. I think it was in a Mormon publication.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. That I couldn't help you with.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There was something in Vigor 14 on civilizing children beginning in Sacrament meeting. Other than that, I only found the links already linked and some comments on them. (It's about halfway down the page.)

The really good part, with instructions, is halfway through the article. We are going to start this immediately! We may modify the rules a little, as Ems is only one year old, but the technique is priceless! Wow! When my husband gets home, I'll have him read it, and I'm pretty sure he'll agree immediately that this is something we need to do.

[ March 19, 2005, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
iirc, wasn't one of his very first published books a parenting guide?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Oh, thank you KQ! That's exactly the article I meant. I was reminded of it because my neighbor has a quite Uncivilized child, and I wished she'd had someone to give her such wise advice.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to help; it's great that we got to read it, too!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

That was quite an article. I kind of wish it hadn't focused so exclusively on something as Mormon-specific as the sacrament meeting, but considering that was a Mormon website, it's hardly a surprise. But even as an agnostic who doesn't attend religious services of any kind, I think there was quite a lot in there that I can use when I have my own children someday. The right way to raise your children to be civilized is something I've concerned myself with a lot lately (even though I don't even have a girlfriend at the moment, let alone a wife), and I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Have you ever considered writing a book on parenting, Mr. Card?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of like the first book he ever published? Or were you looking for an update? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I don't know, I'm not familiar with it. What is it?
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
When OSC signed my copy of Speaker for the Dead, he indicated that it was a 'child rearing guide.'
Which must mean we are supposed to hold our children in our laps until they pee on us.

Or something.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
Geez. After reading that article I feel kind of dumb. My first instinct is to imagine children as dumb, to dismiss their actions as "Annoying children's stuff." As opposed to asking myself, "Why would the kid do that? What does he get out of it? What has conditioned him, what has he learned?"

"And never hold him on your lap so he is looking away from you, toward all the pleasing distractions of the foyer."

This kind of stuff is genius. I wish I could as easily step into and out of other peoples' minds [Wink]

[ March 21, 2005, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Verai ]

Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this article very useful. I used the information in it with my son right after he was born. Now, 6 years later, he is able to sit still and pay attention with minimal effort. There's no struggle to keep him from crawling under seats or otherwise disrupt things. at school, it's a little harder, but I shudder to think what it would have been like if he hadn't had this kind of training.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
Lo and behold I checked the link and found my uncle had written the first article, "Teancum in the U.S. Army."

I never knew he'd written that! It's a small world, indeed...

[ March 21, 2005, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: estavares ]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In LDS culture, that kind of thing is more surprising when it doesn't happen. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I have regularly attended a singles ward for the last 5 years or so. It is always a bit of a "culture shock" when I attend my home ward and there are actually people younger than 18 and older than 30 in attendance. There's so much NOISE. How can anyone possibly hear the talks being given? The still small voice is all but drowned out by the cacophonous wailing of a chorus of toddlers.

I've been blessed in the past few years with the opportunities to work in different places in the country during my summer break from college. In moving to these areas, I've joined the local family ward. I've noticed that some wards are more successful than others when it comes to how well-behaved the children are. One of the very best is the Greensboro Summit Ward, which I attended in summer 2003, which OSC also is a member of. I can say that if the Summit ward is any example, I would say that this training strategy really does work--at least when applied to getting kids to behave during sacrament meeting.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alix
Member # 7287

- posted      Profile for Alix   Email Alix         Edit/Delete Post 
That article helped me out so much for my kids. I had two sons, both with major ear infections that affected their hearing. If they can't hear then of course it is harder to obey and understand discipline. My husband also wasn't there to help out so I had to do everything myself. I ended up in the foyer with two crying children on my lap. It probably takes longer when kids are developmentally delayed like my kids but the technique still works. They have (mostly) stopped running up to the stand every week and crawling under the benches and they are 3 and 5 years old.

I did stop taking snacks into sacrament meeting. I thought I had to have snacks to keep them quiet but I learned it had the opposite effect. Yah, for that article and OSC!

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I like how he actively involves the dad.

*tired of being the perpetual disciplinarian*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya, Shan!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow, we went to Church today and Emma didn't even have to go out! We found that just by setting limits on what she could do (we brought no toys or snacks, although she was allowed to nurse, she was not allowed to interact with people in other rows, was not allowed on the floor, and was reminded not to pull my hair), she behaved much more quietly and calmly. She's a little young yet to actually listen to the testimonies, but she "sang" along with the songs, was quiet almost the whole rest of the time, and only had to be reminded once that she must not hurt me. We were prepared for Jeff having to take her out and restrain her until she calmed down, but just by setting firm rules which we all followed (people kept trying to talk to me, but I politely gave a one-word response and remained facing front), we had a much easier time! I mean, I know I've read that even young children crave discipline and firm limits, but I just had the most dramatic demonstration I've ever seen of that!
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

As a teacher, I've seen so much of that. Kids really do desire direction. They need to know you love them enough to teach them the ropes of getting along in the adult world. I'm so glad things went well with Emma! She's such a sweet little thing!
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I have also used the technique on new bishops, and I find that afterward they rarely give me any callings and I have to invent my own, which is why I now direct plays as my "church" responsibility.

In other words, it totally worked.

[ March 30, 2005, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

[Hail] Okay, now you have topped the pinnacle of coolness.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.