FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

Author Topic: How appropriate, you fight like a cow.
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody recognize this... anybody? [Big Grin]

Yaaay!

[ March 23, 2005, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Verai ]

Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
<insult> I´ve spoken with apes more polite then you.
<comeback>I´m glad to hear you attended your family reunion.

That one was mine, thank you very much [Smile] Not bad for a little kid, huh?
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

Nice one [Razz]
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I going to have to play this game, aren't I?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

You've been deprived if you haven't. Monkey Island was an integral part of my childhood. For Christmas, on my request, my big brother photoshopped "How appropriate, you fight like a cow" over a picture of guybrush fighting the swordmaster (and framed it for me).

I still remember all those years back my brother saying, "Wow, this takes up NINE MEGS. I'm gonna have to delete some stuff."

[ March 23, 2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Verai ]

Mr.Happenstance
Member # 7635

- posted      Profile for Mr.Happenstance   Email Mr.Happenstance         Edit/Delete Post 
Truly an amazing game. If they do make an Ender game they should make it like THAT. I mean, cmon, and Graff could be just like the voodoo witchdoctor!
Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I *love* Monkey Island! IV was pretty good, but I especially loved the format of I and II.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

There's more than one Monkey Island game?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. They made...what, 4 of them over the years? I've only played I and II, myself.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

How many have OSC dialog?
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there are four. I and II are 2D and pixelly. III is animated, and IV is CG. They're all halariously fun to play.

edit: uh, all of them? I don't have a clue.

[ March 23, 2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
One and two are the best. Three and four are all right, but they weren't made by the same people as the first one. They don't exactly have the magic of the first two.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Just the first game was contributed to by OSC; I believe he wrote the insult swordfights.

I personally think III ("The Curse of Monkey Island") is the best of the series, as it features stellar voice acting, a great soundtrack that I still listen to regularly, and absolutely BEAUTIFUL cartoon artwork, in addition to the same wit and humor that characterized the first two games (though its insults weren't up to the high standard set by OSC in the first game). I don't think it was the created by the same team as the first two- certainly Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer were gone from Lucasarts by then- but I think its writing is just as good as in the first two games. Murray the diabolical talking skull may be my favorite video game character of all time.

IV, on the other hand, was an amusing diversion but ultimately forgettable, and featured the most annoying game mechanic of all time to boot.

Edit: Here, found some screenshots of "Curse of Monkey Island" for those of you who haven't had the chance to play it.

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/monkey/gum.jpg
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/monkey/newcan.jpg
http://www.lucasarts.com/products/monkey/shooting.jpg

Nearly eight years old, and it's still one of the most artistically rendered games I've ever seen.

[ March 23, 2005, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Tarrsk ]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool clouds in pictures 1 and 3.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Happenstance
Member # 7635

- posted      Profile for Mr.Happenstance   Email Mr.Happenstance         Edit/Delete Post 
I too was very impressed by the third one. I played one and 2 and then tried to play number 4, and I thought 4 was just plain terrible, so I was happy to see when I obtained 3 that it was so well done.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
I first played Curse and then went back to Monkey Island I and II and the dialogue and humor was definitely there. IV did seem to lack something. Curse of Monkey Island is definitely one of my all time favorite games.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

A teacher gave me a Monkey Madness CD with I and II on it, and I foolishly gave it away to someone I didn't even like much.

*curses the follies of youth* [Cry]

AntiCool
Member # 7386

*curses SM*
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The only follies I curse are the ones on ice.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.