FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Topic about américan cursus and english cursus

Author Topic: Topic about américan cursus and english cursus
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I search to know what are the different level of studies in England and in USA. Somebody can explain me that, and what level it suppose (use the end of High school to refer) ?

Thanks to answer me, it's for my job [Wink]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Most Americans start school around 6, for kindergarten. Grade 1 starts around seven or eight. Elementary school progresses until grade 5. Middle school runs from grade 6 to grade 8. And high school runs from grade 9 to grade 12.

College usually lasts four years, like high school, and the names of the years are the same: Grades 9 and 13 are "freshmen," 10 and 14 are "sophomores," 11 and 15 are "juniors," and 12 and 16 are "seniors."

A four-year college degree is called a Bachelor's Degree; a two-year degree is an Associate's Degree. Once you have a Bachelor's, you can go in for more advanced college work -- for a Master's Degree, then a Doctorate. This can take several years, or sometimes only a year or two, depending on the field and the time put in.

[ March 24, 2005, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Different school districts in the US handle the divisions between grade school, middle school (also known in some areas as junior high), and high school. For example, in the school district I attended, grade school was kindergarten through 6th grade, junior high was 7th-9th grade, and high school was 10th-12th grade.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Ok ! Thanks for these explications. Nevertheless, A question : Have you a diploma for a three years degree ? (between Associate and Bachelor)
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of such a thing, although I have known some people to get a bachelors in just three years. It took some of us five years to get it. [Blushing]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Ok ! Thanks for your help. I am glad you quickly answered. [Kiss]
AntiCool
Member # 7386

The title of this thread made me anticipate a discussion about naughty words in America vs. England.

*vaguely dissapointed*

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

I'd like too ! It can help me about that. So if someone has a comment, he is the welcome ! [Smile]
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
While in America, it's common to say, "#@&$ you, you #*@)!-&#~!", the British are more apt to say "(*@ off, !&#!_" I hope that helps.

Disclaimer: Portions of this post have been censored for the protection of minors. We apologize for inconvenience caused, if any.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
In Canada we start off in preschool, then kindergarten (sounds german meh [Dont Know] ) then elementary school from grade 1 to grade 6. Then High School from grade 7 to 11.

Once you have made it to grade 11 and passed the following subjects:

French
Canadian History

you can go on to CEGEP (our version of college). usually for 2 years its free except for the 120$ per semester (4 semesters) unless your in a career course which is 3 years (engineering, programming, PDHT, etc) then you can University if you want to, however you need calculus if you do want to go. I'm currently in my second semester of Computer Science in John Abbott College.

"...We fired our guns but the Yankees kept on coming, but there wasn't as many as there was a while ago. So we fired once more and the Yankees started running down the mississipi and the gulf of Mexico woe woe woe... Next time you are in Washington with its houses clean and nice take a pack of matches and BURN THE WHITEHOUSE TWICE! BURN BURN BURN..."- Arrogant Worms "1812"

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

We fired our guns but the Yankees kept on coming, but there wasn't as many as there was a while ago. So we fired once more and the Yankees started running down the mississipi and the gulf of Mexico...

Um. I'm pretty sure that's not how the song goes. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. It's about the English. And it was written by an American high school history teacher.

Just to confuse you some more, there are many possible divisions in schools by grade level. In the school district I attended, it's K-6 at elementary school, 7 and 8 are middle school, and 9-12 are high school. My husband's little brother's district divides it as K-5 for elementary, 6-8 for middle school, 9 at a "freshman center" next to the high school-- technically high school but not taking classes with older kids unless you're in a very advanced math or science or language, with limited elective choices offered that year, and then 10-12 in the regular high school.

Then there are the private schools. Just to take an example from the Catholic schools in my area, there were two parochial "elementary" or "primary" schools in my area. One went from preschool through 6th grade, one went from Kindergarten through 8th. Since all the Catholic high schools in the area were 9-12, parents either had to put the kids from the first school in public school grades 7 and 8, lessening their chances of getting into a Catholic high school, drive them to the Catholic middle school an hour and a half away, or transfer them to the second elementary school for 7 and 8. Very confusing.

Also, by law, children are technically only required to attend school between the ages of 6 and 16; kindergarten is not required, just recommended as a way to introduce your child to school, and at 16 you may drop out or take an equivalency test, if you wish, although just dropping out severely limits your choices in employment, and so on. Parents also have to give permission for a child to drop out in most states. Home schooling is legal in all states, although the extent to which the states and districts accomodate home-schooling varies widely, as do requirements for what must happen in a home school.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aitch42
Member # 7373

- posted      Profile for aitch42   Email aitch42         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have you a diploma for a three years degree ? (between Associate and Bachelor)
Within the UK, a bachelors degree usually takes 3 years full time study.
Through the "Open University" (OU) i have discovered that this means effectively 120 points per year, so a degree takes at least 360 points of study. (With the OU, this can be built up of many modules over many years, as it is a distance-learning university, not full-time residential).

The OU level-1 modules are usualy 60-points and start off very basic - as the OU is open to all, including people without good schooling.
Level one courses thus cover the "foundation" stuff that most uni's expect you to have before you go;
but the resulting OU degree is well respected and better than many.

Having had a quick check, an OU diploma can be got with 130 points, which is equivalent to one year's full time study (120 points plus a 10-point 1 week residential course.)
This is made up of level-2 courses, ie the diploma is equivalent to the 2nd-year of a 3-year bachelors degree.

FOR example, a Geoscience diploma can be got: check out Open university geoscience diploma

Posts: 15 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
definitelynotvichysoisse
Member # 7559

- posted      Profile for definitelynotvichysoisse   Email definitelynotvichysoisse         Edit/Delete Post 
No Sid got the song right. That's the way it goes.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

No it's not. Replace "Yankees" with "British" and it will be a lot closer.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"Battle of New Orleans" lyrics. Sorry for the derail, but I like that song, and I hate wrong lyrics. [Blushing] That link also has a little history of the song.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
definitelynotvichysoisse
Member # 7559

- posted      Profile for definitelynotvichysoisse   Email definitelynotvichysoisse         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a parody song by the Arrogant Worms about the War of 1812. That's how the words go. It's a bit of a joke and about Canadian patriotism. Sid has the correct lyrics for the new (better) version of the song.

[ March 24, 2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: definitelynotvichysoisse ]

Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I love how when Canadians need something to stir their patriotism, the only event in their entire history they can find is a single raid conducted against the U.S. nearly two hundred years ago.

A raid conducted by the British.

[Taunt]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah. If they want a good Canadian Heritage song, they should check out Northwest Passage by Stan Rogers. It's very inspiring. And also, Stan was good.
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most Americans start school around 6, for kindergarten. Grade 1 starts around seven or eight. Elementary school progresses until grade 5. Middle school runs from grade 6 to grade 8. And high school runs from grade 9 to grade 12.
doesn't kindergarten start at age 5, and grade 1 at age 6?
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It depends on your birthday. Children can start kindergarten as young as 4 and as late as 6, depending on readiness and birth date. However, I would agree that the median age is 5. [Smile]
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Hehehe.

"...Our love was so intentional but now she is 2 dimensional, my angel is truly in heaven..."

"...Our love was so true now she is 3 foot 2 and she used to be 5 foot eleven..."

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
definitelynotvichysoisse
Member # 7559

quote:
I love how when Canadians need something to stir their patriotism, the only event in their entire history they can find is a single raid conducted against the U.S. nearly two hundred years ago.

A raid conducted by the British.

We have other things to stir our patriotism too.

Like this song.

"It isn't what you do with it. It's the size that counts."

Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
In the chaotic American school system, there are many ways to subdivide. The universal expectation is 12 grades.

Many school districts require kindergarten; some states do.

Kindergarten is usually started at age five, though parents have a little leeway on when to put their kids on the educational treadmill. Preschool is strictly voluntary.

First grade usually starts at age 6.

K-3, K-5, and K-6 are the usual formats for "primary" or "elementary" school, with K-3 by far the rarest.

"Middle school" is usually defined as starting in 6th grade and ending with 8th.

"Junior high school" is usually defined as started in 7th grade and ending with 8th or, commonly, 9th.

If Junior High ends with 9th grade and students enter high school in 10th, the 10th-graders are STILL called sophomores; there simply ARE no freshmen in that high school.

Thus the assumption is that in "real" high schools, the students are grades 9-12, and there's something "not normal" about schools where junior high includes 9th as well as 7th and 8th grades.

But none of this nomenclature is engraved in stone. School districts can divide up the grades however they want and call them whatever they want, unless they're in one of the states with a lot of uniform rules that they all have to follow.

One thing is certain, though, however the schools are divided up: Most people think that the education system is terrible, and most people think it's somebody else's fault, and American students get through all this with a pathetic level of "knowledge" in the fields of history, geography, and grammar, because most schools have abandoned even the attempt to teach these subjects ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
I attended an elementary school in California that was K-8.

The seventh and eighth graders were treated a little different, the main thing being that we actually had six or seven different classes taught by different teachers, but we all moved as one class to the next.

High School started at 9th grade. So I am telling the truth to my children when I tell them that I skipped right from elementary to high school.

The biggest problem looking back is that there were not many academic choices given to us in the "junior high" years. We were able to have band, but there were no languages, we were all in the same "math" class instead of splitting up into pre-algebra, algebra, etc. As a result, the math tracks for our high school were:

Regular:
9th grade: Pre-Algebra
10th grade: Algebra:
11th grade: Geometry
12th grade: Algebra 2 (if you went that far)

The Advanced program started with Algebra in 9th and added in Trig for 12th grade.

When I moved between my 10th and 11th grade years, I found myself in a high school with a healthy AP (Advanced Placement) program that I wasn't able to take advantage of, as I didn't meet any of the pre-requesites.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I know the Canadian skool system is encredibly lax and I'm amazed that Canada was the world's leader in aerospace design. Heres an example of my highschool: grade seven physical science
grade 8 physical science
grade 9 physical science
// // // //
// // // //
grade 11 chemistry and/or physics.

They couldv't stuck with the grade 8, 10 , 11 classes and the rest could've been bigger math classes so we'ld know calc in grade 11 thus not requiring it in college [Wall Bash] I know they teach calc in Russia at grade 6 jeez. Also statistics for **** sake is retaught around 5 times as well COME ON WE GET THE FREAKIN POINT!!!! [Wall Bash] we don't need to waste our time on it again and again oh and english now reteaching and wasting hours reteaching us again and again on how to write and essay just soooooo BLAH! I let it all slide its hard to pay attention to bull. I'm in college and in a REAL course Computer Science. And now they may be changing the system so that OMG! you dont need science to get out of high school [Eek!] !!!! Unlike FRENCH which for some reason you absolutely NEED to learn and have a final exam in the end worth 60% of your grade, all of this useless since 3 out of 4 people people speak english. And you know what? Then there's gym which I realize now after watching war movies looks awfully alot like training kids to hop out of a fox hole and charge an enemy position I know I sound crazy here but that is exactly what it looks like. sorry for the rant I apologize if anyone may have been offended. [Frown]

definitelynotvichysoisse
Member # 7559

quote:
COME ON WE GET THE FREAKIN POINT!!!!
I absolutely agree. There is way too much repetition in the Canadian School System. I'm taking my math courses by correspondence so I can decide what speed to go at.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

*thumbs up*
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I'm not exaclty a stright A student, I'm smart and well read and all but I'm simply not motivated enough, video games kinda sapped some of my creativity [Smile] but either way I do feel if the system had been tougher and less counter productive I would've done better if I had been properly challanged earlier on.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Except for French, which you actually have to learn. Well of course. That's POLITICS, and the rest is just babysitting that has to be disguised as education. The main task, of course, is to KEEP these kids OUT of the labor pool as long as possible so adults' jobs are safe.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Woah, I never thought of it that way, I always thought of it as the upper class oppressing the lower class by having a horrible education system in order to filter the population where the majority stay in the lower echelons of society. But keeping adult jobs safe amazing. I never thought of that! It makes absolutly perfect sense! Adults always never trusted the younger generation, except you of course Mr. Card you understand us. [Hat]
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

How do you think I learned the meaning of fear?
chracatoa
Member # 7575

- posted      Profile for chracatoa   Email chracatoa         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing, this thread. I was actually researching those degrees on Monday. I wanted to translate "graduação tecnológica" in Portuguese for a paper - and I couldn't find anything similar in the US or England. It's a three-year undergrad program - something in between associate and bacherol's degree.

It's too late now - I translated it to "technological degree". The funny part is that I *never* thought about asking it here - I guess I'll do it next time! [Smile]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with OSC. If kids only knew how much power they have....

Of course, I like to be an insidious rebel and show them that they CAN start changing the world right where they are..

[Evil Laugh] Mwhahahaaha!

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree with OSC. If kids only knew how much power they have...
I'm a kid, fwahahaha!

We enjoy a rather SIMPLE system in Israel: you have 3 stages of pre-school kindergartens, where only the one a year before school is necessary; that is - age 5.

Age 6 you get into school. Originally grades 1-8 were primary, and 9-12 were high school. (Please note that the hebrew names for primary school and high school are "elementary" and "middle" respectively - where university was "high education".) Now, however, there are starting to change it into "חטיבה", or "cluster" (best-fitting word I can think of. Raia, rivka, please correct me if you find a better word) - where the schooles are now being re-divided into: primary school - grades 1-6; middle "cluster" - grades 7-8 (in older schools there was a system from 7-9, though it is rarer to find now), and high school - from 9 to 12 (10-12 in the older system). Only up to 10th grade is a obligatoty. Some schools have 13th and 14th grades for spcific courses, though I do not know what they are useful for; if for the geniuses or the idiots, or any other...

Israel goes by the "point" system, where you need to complete 21 "points" in order to successfully graduate and receive a "certificate". My scool's requrements are well in the 30s, and some kids do over 40. Also, there is the "Open University", into which you can be accepted even if one didn't graduate. Obviously, some other universities will accept you into certain courses even if you've passed certain ones in the Open University. It is possible to receive a first degree (BA) before graduating. This can grant you several additional "points", upon school's acceptance.

University works in 3 degrees (BA, MA, PhD), where you take several courses to receive one.

Questions?

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes. This is off-topic, but how does your school system deal with "AP" classes?
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
"AP"? Please elaborate, dear.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
My hometown school system still goes the way I went through it:

elementary: K-4
middle: 5-8
high: 9-12

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Advanced Placement or "Gifted" program classes. Smart kids in different classes. Do they do that?
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

They shuttle them to battle school where else? And what does Mr. Card mean by learning the meaning of fear? That by understanding us he knows what fear is or is it something more to deal with my post? Either way If I ever become Prime Minister (unlikely) I'll reform the education system so that you'll get 18 year old uniniversity students. [Big Grin]
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
y'all might find this an interesting tidbit- While I was educated almost completely in Catholic schools from kindergarten on (with montessori before kg), my sister went only to public schools. She was in vanguard and advanced programs in her public schools, and so was I in private school.

My last two years of high school were at a public school, and they were a CAKEWALK. Literally. Even the Advanced classes. My English teacher game me Hamlet, told me to read it, answer a set of questions, and not to come back becuase I was screwing up the bell curve. I put hardly any effort into my last two years and I graduated in the top 20 in a class of 300+. In some areas they were covering subjects that I'd done in 7th grade in private school.

My sister did well, took about half advanced classes, was in the theater troupe and all that good stuff. Graduated top third of the class, I think. She went to the same college I attended. (Univ. of St.Thomas, woohoo) She called me after two weeks - she was COMPLETELY unprepared. I had to teach her how to take notes, how to study properly for her learning methods, how to WRITE A PAPER... I was amazed.

Why did we go to different schools? I have NO idea. My mother was a teacher for 35+ years. I am the oldest, so I guess I was the experiment. My sister has a different dad (who never paid child support - maybe that had something to do with it??) but my mom pulled all the strings she could to get my sister in to the "best" public schools. The only reason I atteneded my junior and senior year at public school was due to a *disagreement* with the administration at the catholic high school I was attending. Ahem.

Public school in the US is by and large a JOKE. It's not even pretending to be any kind of preparation for college, or even further study. They might as well be vocational schools - but no, those actually teach skills. Nevermind...

I wish I had some idea or suggestion other than put your kids in private school (and is that even a guarantee?) but the govt has not and will not spend the money we need to have an educational system that's worthy of the last remaining "superpower".

okay - down from the soapbox, Sorcha!!!
[Blushing]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

Yes, KQ, they do.

Only in 3 classes (maths, schience, Talmud, aside from Hebrew and English speakers in English lessons), but they do. It's their new (working) system, in preparation for the "5-point" classes (the maximum one can take in one topic without special stuff).

JH

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Man whoever designed this system isn't realizing that they are so shooting themselves in the left nut. Imagine a who, generation of students graduating at 16! Compared to say 22, an extra 6 years of work in whatever career your in AND YOUR STILL IN YOUR PRIME! Now, look at Deutschland, one of the most advanced nations on this planet and now lets look at their education system...
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Then theres Japan, one of the toughest systems out there and look, worlds largest creditor nation. And the USA is currently the worlds largest debter nation...
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
But who controls the education system?
There has to be some important reason to listen to the people who want the change, because they can't vote.
I think that the purpose of the education system needs to be re-evaluated.
Originally intended to promote social mobility?
Now what, public education is not very good in most places. Classes need to be more purposeful and less general. Some general education is needed, but how far does it have to go?

Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Oddly, Gryphonesse, I had the exact opposite experience. I was Montessori-educated and enrolled in private schools for a great deal of my youth, but started in a public school my sophomore year of high school -- and was for the first time in my life relatively challenged by my teachers.
Choobak
Member # 7083

Wow ! I didn't look all these topic ! Thanks to all ! But i don't understand why i lose it...

I think we can have a debat about the useness of learn maths or re learn english again and again. In France, we prefer to have a good general education.

I let this thread for this time : i must work now. [Roll Eyes]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.