FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Just a quick thought

Author Topic: Just a quick thought
-=Locke=-
Member # 7248

- posted      Profile for -=Locke=-   Email -=Locke=-         Edit/Delete Post 
*This has been posted through out the site, but i just wanna say a thing*
With all the talk about the EG Movie, and mabye after the release of the movie a Video Game to go with it, there are two outcomes.
-Movie-
A-It will be great/fantasitc, exactly like the book, almost word for word.
or
B- It was good, but you had higher standards for it. You thought it would be like Lord of the rings, close to the book and at the same time thrilling, but things might not work out in the end.

Personally i just can't wait for the damn thing to come out. Yes my standards are high, but that is fine because im sure things will work out fine (EVEN THOUGH THERE NOT USING MR.CARD'S SCRIPT [Grumble] [Grumble] )

And with the game, wether the movie does good or not. Who would honestly buy it, if things turned out bad, standards way down, but then again it might do well. But how many games from movies are actually like the movie and is fun to play?

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smasher
Member # 7640

- posted      Profile for Smasher           Edit/Delete Post 
Just because they aren't fun to play doesn't mean people wont bu the game. They will buy it just to have it.

So, it will make money if a game is made.

I think I will like the movie no matter what. I am not somenone to judge something for the previous story.

If the movie is not close to the book, than I will judge the story in the movie. But that is just me.

It really does suck that thier not using Card's script.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would an exact nearly word-for-word translation of the book really make for the best movie? People often say that's what they want when talking about a book being made into a movie, but have you ever wondered why it never actually happens? Because it wouldn't work as well as you think.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diko
Member # 6060

- posted      Profile for Diko           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I got confused on a point...I was under the impression that the two writers were re-writing OSC's script, and that this was standard "hollywood" practice. Is this incorrect?

I'd also like to point out that The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age is FANTASTIC.

Yes, I would see Ender's Game in theatres, buy it when it's released to DVD, -and- buy whatever games come out when that inevitably happens. Whether they suck or not. I bought The Little Mermaid 2, after all, even though I knew it wouldn't be as good as the first one before I even watched it, but nothing could ever possibly live up to my expectations of what a sequel to my favorite movie should be.

I don't expect that the movie, or the game will be what I expect them to be. My imagination, and yes, my annoying attention to details won't allow that. I do also have the ability to enjoy something for what it is though. (I still think they should've left Snape's potion in the puzzles for HP though. *sigh*)

/rambling.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Neo-
Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me were done almost word for word. (from short stories though and that does make a difference) It was just done amazingly well.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Would an exact nearly word-for-word translation of the book really make for the best movie? People often say that's what they want when talking about a book being made into a movie, but have you ever wondered why it never actually happens? Because it wouldn't work as well as you think.

I totally agree with neo-dragon. How long did it take you to read Ender's Game? With a movie, you've got 2 hours to work with.

We know that the story is compelling, as OSC is a great writer. But the success of the movie will depend on the OTHER things - acting, camera shots, sound, etc.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me were done almost word for word.

Um. No. They weren't.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I was saying more that they were closer than any other movie I've ever seen. I have not seen any movie done exactly word for word (except maybe Sin City, I know they tried to keep it as close to the comic as they could). There are entire paragraphs taken out of the short stories Shawshank and The Body and they stuck very close to the originals.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
Enders Game: The Game, heh, could make a good video game, but really though, movie games almost always are horrible. It would be really hard for them to create a game to where you could truly play as Ender, with all the tactics that the kid uses. But more than likely it'd cost whoever a chunck of change to get the rights, then they'd rush it into development to coincide with the movie, and well you know the rest.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
A scene for scene, line for line filming of Ender's Game would be at least five hours long and would be so boring you'd run screaming from the theater.

A movie is about a novella's worth of story. So you have to extract the novella from the novel in order to write the script.

I've done it once, and it worked (as a reading script); so it's possible. I hope that Benioff and Weiss can do it better than I did. In fact, I'm rather counting on it.

But any GOOD movie based on EG and ES will leave out MOST of the scenes in both books, and will have to substantially cut elements in order to make the story tellable. I'd be surprised if Achilles made it into the movie, or Carlotta, or any of the Peter/Valentine subplot. And that's fine with me. They will STILL be in the books. The movie doesn't ERASE them. Just as LOTR didn't erase the scouring of the shire by not including it.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, I'll be honest, I kinda want the subplot of Valentine and Peter a lot... for if we don't see how Peter gets his power, we can't really understand why Ender can't go back to Earth. Then again, you could just change the story a bit and have it so that it's Ender who decides not to go because he doesn't want to... I don't know, I'll leave it to the professionals. ^_^
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.