FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Don't Listen to some people OSC!

Author Topic: Don't Listen to some people OSC!
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

- posted      Profile for Suri-cool   Email Suri-cool         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, when I'v been reading around I'v been seeing some poeple who have a really horrible opinion. That OSC should stop the Enderverse because it'll get bad with so mna sequels, I would just like to say that OSC should just stuff his ears. Don't listen to them, all of the Enderverse books are amazing and I and probelly countless more just want more and more books of it! More sequaels and more! And don't say it'll be bad, this is OSC we are talking about he dosn't make bad books! Don't listen to them! Who's with me?! [Smile]

[ March 27, 2005, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Suri-cool ]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
When OSC is tied of making Ender books he should stop. If he enjoys making the books we love to read he should keep making them. That's it, pure and simple.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

Thats true, if he dosn't want to I don't want him to just to please his fans, he should have a life. Yet I mean when he decides to make another Ender book, he should do it not listen to the people who say no...

[ March 27, 2005, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Suri-cool ]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malachin1
Member # 7654

- posted      Profile for Malachin1   Email Malachin1         Edit/Delete Post 
I think OSC writes the Ender books because in his mind he's created a story and characters with lives and minds of their own. And I believe he loves developing their lives. And giving us all a chance to be a part of his imagination. Whether or not he writes countless more novels in the same universe, he'll always have new ideas for the characters and the universe he's created. I think we'll be well satisfied with the stories he creates until he creates no more.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endersbean3k1
Member # 7651

- posted      Profile for endersbean3k1   Email endersbean3k1         Edit/Delete Post 
Addmittedly I found the books concerning Ender as an adult somewhat forced and seeming as though they may have been better left unwritten, but I think I really have to read them again before I say that with any finality.

On the other hand, the most recient book, Shadow of the Giant, I found fantastic.

To tie in more with what you guys are saying: there are plenty of high-quality, very long, series(es?).

endersbean,
who is not a grammar buff

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Addmittedly I found the books concerning Ender as an adult somewhat forced and seeming as though they may have been better left unwritten
[Eek!]
Quiet with your crazy talk before someone hears you.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, here I thought that Ender as an adult in Speaker for the Dead is how the books are meant to be focused. I don't have my copy of Ender's Game with me, but I think it says that in order to get Speaker for the Dead to make sense, he had to write Ender's Game first.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
Even with the speaker books centered around ender, I felt the Miro, Jane, and Novinha where the stronger characters in the series.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Funny, here I thought that Ender as an adult in Speaker for the Dead is how the books are meant to be focused. I don't have my copy of Ender's Game with me, but I think it says that in order to get Speaker for the Dead to make sense, he had to write Ender's Game first.
Yeah, thats true. In the Intoduction to Speaker for the Dead, he says that he wanted to write Speaker first, and then he decided that the Speaker should be Ender Wiggin (He had already written the EG short story). So he decided to do a novel version of EG to expand the story and Ender's character, in order to provide the necessary background for Speaker. So, one could even say that Ender's Game was forced... I wouldn't say that though [Wink]

[ March 28, 2005, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Addmittedly I found the books concerning Ender as an adult somewhat forced and seeming as though they may have been better left unwritten . . .
O_O

This made me wholeheartedly agree with the title of this thread.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
I certainy agree with you, Icarus. Just look the other way, OSC
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand the concern some people might feel. If I were simply plugging in more Ender books to make money or to meet some perceived demand, it could become empty. But neither my publisher nor my editor nor I want to have ANY book, in or out of the Ender universe, that is not the very best I can do. Tom Doherty would rather have an excellent Pastwatch novel than a bad Ender book. A bad one would merely diminish the value of all that went before.

So there will be no Ender novels that I don't care about and believe in as much as any other I've written. And there will continue to be novels that aren't part of ANY series and that have no serious chance of making money.

I mean, look, I published a book of my own poetry. I intend to publish a book on hymn-writing - yeah, there's a bestseller. And when I write the definitive novel of the alien species who really do think with the contents of their large intestine, passing memories to each other through the fertilization of semi-sentient plants, you can be sure that I will be writing it because my heart is in it, and NOT because I'm full of ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] [Kiss]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
>.<
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

Great going OSC and remmebr to beilive in the Ender books and make more..

P.S. I GOT A RESPONSE FROM OSC IN MY TOPIC! [Party] [Hail] [Blushing]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.