FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alvin Maker and Carnivale

Author Topic: Alvin Maker and Carnivale
Loial
Member # 5788

- posted      Profile for Loial           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here watches Carnivale ?
From the beginning it reminded me of Alvin Maker.

Both take place in a historic America (though Carnivale happens a century later).
In both Americas magic is real.
In both of them the main character is a young man with special powers (but without a clue).
Both use cute slang.
Both have a fight of Good vs. Evil (though many stories have that).
And I love both of them. [Smile]

Carnivale is much darker though.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt there's even the slightest connection.

I'm just grateful when anybody actually tries to create a truly American fantasy.

But contemporary fantasies usually function as horror (a la Stephen King) so it's no surprise that Carnivale is darker.

And I appreciate your recommendation. I've never actually seen it.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loial
Member # 5788

- posted      Profile for Loial           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mr. Card
I didn't expect a reply from you.

I'm not sure what you mean by whether or not there is a connection. If you mean that the creators of Carnivale probably didn't take ideas from the Alvin Maker books, that's probably true. There are just some similarities.

I am grateful with any kind of fantasy on TV, American or not (as long as it's good).

And it's definitely not horror. It just takes place in a darker era (the Great Depression, pre WW2, etc...). Well, maybe it does have some horror elements, but that's not the main theme.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.