FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Question about nukes in SotG

Author Topic: Question about nukes in SotG
Alex Lin
Member # 7667

- posted      Profile for Alex Lin   Email Alex Lin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, so "Hi", absolutely love the books, all that fun stuff. Bought SotG and read it in one day, to the dismay of several test grades...

Anyway, I've got a small question about the potency/possibility of nukes in SotG. I know they were mentioned a few times, but I can't remember exactly how scared people were of them. I remember there wasn't that much fear, but I thought that the reason that people didn't worry was because everyone remembered what happened to Mecca and it was basically unspoken agreement that no one would use nukes again. If someone could refresh my memory as to why nukes weren't feared, that'd be greatly appreciated.

I only ask because I started re-reading Ender's Game again and noticed one line in ch 9 where Peter says "The shields make it so no one bothers with nuklear weapons anymore."

I realize that the entire "nuke" deal was very small in SotG, but it's nagging at me now that I thought of it, so if someone could remind me, that'd be great - I wanna reread the entire series in order, so jumping to SotG after Ender's Game kinda throws that outta whack.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the International Fleet had the ability to stop a nuclear attack, or at least severely punish any country who would use them.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michiel
Member # 7649

- posted      Profile for Michiel   Email Michiel         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I think that's right.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
definitelynotvichysoisse
Member # 7559

- posted      Profile for definitelynotvichysoisse   Email definitelynotvichysoisse         Edit/Delete Post 
The Humans have the ecstatic shield which prevents nuclear attack. I believe there is a line that goes something like "now that we have the ecstatic shield humans can only kill each other thousands at a time rather than millions."

[ March 29, 2005, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: definitelynotvichysoisse ]

Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex Lin
Member # 7667

- posted      Profile for Alex Lin   Email Alex Lin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, okey, thanks everyone. Saved me a great deal of work - not that reading SotG is work, of course! *goes back to reading and not studying* Horrible work ethic...
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the nuclear attack was one of limited reasons the IF would interfere with matters on Earth.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I completely, and I mean COMPLETELY, forgot about the "ecstatic shield." Should have been mentioned several times in the Shadow books, if I had remembered them. Bummer!

Still, I don't actually contradict them. The nuking of Mecca would have taken place BEFORE the ecstatic shield, which grew out of what humans learned from Bugger technology after Mazer Rackham's victory.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry mister Card, if we had noticed a contradiction you would have all of us hopping up and down and sending you a bizillion emails about it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.