FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » To Mr. Card

Author Topic: To Mr. Card
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card,

First off, I would like you know that I'm your #1 fan™.

Now that that's out of the way, I have a question for you. I recently read an autobiographical book by the physicist Richard Feynman, in which he brings up a point that may apply to you - He tells of his experiences before and after winning the Nobel prize. Prior to receiving it, the lectures he gave at different colleges were attended by the truly interested and devoted students. As one can imagine, after winning the Nobel prize, his lectures were attended by many more people - students, staff, community leaders, etc. Mr. Feynman implies that he liked those later presentations much much less than the smaller ones he did before. In one case, he actually called in sick but showed up anyways, telling the university that he was ill and that another (fabricated) professor(himself) would do the lecture in his absence.

I was just wondering if you have had any experiences like this. I'm pretty sure that anything published under your name gets plenty of attention from all sorts of people. Have you ever written anything under a different name, just to see how the response would be? Or wished to do so?

Thank you for your time.
kaioshin00

[ March 29, 2005, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
definitelynotvichysoisse
Member # 7559

- posted      Profile for definitelynotvichysoisse   Email definitelynotvichysoisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the book "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman?" That book is hilarious. The stories are wonderful. I really enjoyed it.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
yep [Smile]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The Hugo and Nebula are way different from the Nobel.

When you win the Hugo and Nebula, sci-fi fans and some writers feel it is their obligation to assault your reputation, both literary and personal, in order to demonstrate that they are way too cool to like something that other saps would actually "honor" with "awards."

The result is that within a year or two, the award winner is filled with distaste for the awards and locks them away where he doesn't have to look at them.

At the same time, the publisher continues to plaster "Hugo and Nebula winner" all over the books, and the writer will continue to mention the awards in his official bio, because HE'S NOT STUPID.

Winning the Hugo or Nebula results in your being taken more seriously in FOREIGN markets and improves your chances of being translated and published abroad. That's the only place where it really makes much of a financial difference, and then only if you have an agent who aggressively pursues and exploits these opportunities abroad. (I did and do have such an agent.)

The Hugo (but not the Nebula) also results in a temporary increase in sales of the winning book (but not short stories, novelets, or novellas) in the U.S. But Hugo-winning novels can still go out of print. They aren't necessarily treated as classics. While some non-winners can achieve that result without any particular help.

Who actually shows up to hear sci-fi writers speak? People who read sci-fi, obviously. And there is no audience harder to impress. While fans of actors and directors gush over their "genius" - a laughable idea in some cases - sci-fi fans - even the ones who tell the author "I'm your number 1 fan" - always seem to feel a perverse obligation to say,

"I love ALL your books ... except ..." and then launch into a five-minute explanation of why that one particular book was the most loathsome thing ever written. As if the author could take careful notes, then withdraw the book from publication, and then re-release it in a new version with all the flaws removed.

Science fiction fans, even when they're impressed, don't ACT impressed. They ACT too cool to believe. Because it would be SOOOOO embarrassing to admit that you weren't smart enough to see the flaws in EVERYTHING. <grin>

So believe me, I don't have, and never will have, Mr. Feynman's problem. The only "extra" people I have show up when I'm speaking are dutiful relatives assigned by a nephew/child/niece/grandchild/boss to go and get a book signed for them. But these hapless victims are performing an act of selfless altruism, not sucking up to a Hugo laureate ...

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the phrase "Hugo laureate." [Smile]

And it could be a name -- "Hi, this is my friend Hugo Laureate."

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot to add protestors in Seattle and Berkeley for you "extra" people. [Razz]

[ March 30, 2005, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: IanO ]

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lille Mu
Member # 7115

- posted      Profile for Lille Mu   Email Lille Mu         Edit/Delete Post 
What does it mean "definitelynotvichyssoise" ???
Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, regardless of pathetic "fans" who aren't half as smart as they pretend to be, I know I'd be pretty damn proud if my novel won both the Hugo and the Nebula, and then the following year its sequel did the same! I imagine that's somewhat of a rare occurrence. Wasn't "Xenocide" also nominated for one of them? I can't recall which though.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that nobody is his fan number 1. Every us love mr.Card from diferent way and not for it one fan is better than other
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Lillie Mu, definitely not vichyssoise was the title of an e-mail message in the Shadow series. Vichyssoise is hot soup, which was Han Tzu's nickname in battle school.

quote:
Science fiction fans, even when they're impressed, don't ACT impressed. They ACT too cool to believe. Because it would be SOOOOO embarrassing to admit that you weren't smart enough to see the flaws in EVERYTHING. <grin>
Nah. That's not it. It's because Sci-Fi fans are such huge dorking geeks they have to pretend to be cool, otherwise, you'd have restraining orders out on most of them.

Though it is rather amazing that such dork/geek/nerds could do such a good job faking cool. You'd think just interacting with another human being face to face would send them over the edge.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
definitelynotvichysoisse
Member # 7559

- posted      Profile for definitelynotvichysoisse   Email definitelynotvichysoisse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lillie Mu, definitely not vichyssoise was the title of an e-mail message in the Shadow series. Vichyssoise is hot soup, which was Han Tzu's nickname in battle school.
Vichysoisse is cold soup. So "definitelyn not vichysoisse" is a not cold soup or Hot Soup.
Han Tzu is my favourite character in the Shadow Series so I chose the name for that reason.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a guy named Hot Soup in Shattered Galaxy. I said something to him but he was idle. Occasionally I also catch an "Enderr/Eender/Ender'/En^der" or whatever.

Shattered Galaxy is a fun game for Ender fans, as you play a human who controls machines that fight aliens or other controlled machines in a never-ending war.

I bet that any gamer who's read Ender's Game (me included) has given a pause whenever he's played a Real Time Strategy game. "What if my little soldiers were real?"

In fact, I've had discussions on that with a few of friends. No, seriously.

"Oh god I've thought the same thing."
"Yeah. Then my marine died and I was like, "Billy! Nooo!!"

[ March 31, 2005, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Verai ]

Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, yeah, that's what I meant. Really. Stupid brain. Leave out half the sentence. Grr.
Posts: 171 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lille Mu
Member # 7115

- posted      Profile for Lille Mu   Email Lille Mu         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, thank !
I was quiet afraid because Vichy was the name of the french "nazi" government during WW2...

Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it's the name of the town in which the government took place. And the soup comes from here, and the water and the little candies too, nothing to worry about [Wink]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
i've always wanted to go up to a famous person and say, "I'm your #102 fan."
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Soara, I've had that impulse, too, although with me, it's usually "I'm your 371st biggest fan!" or some other absurd number like that.

I've never done it, though.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Thank you for your response Mr. Card.

quote:
I don't think that nobody is his fan number 1. Every us love mr.Card from diferent way and not for it one fan is better than other
No I'm OSC's #1 FAN! I just wish that in Ender's Game he numbered the chapters using roman numerals instead of integers. Roman numerals are SOO much cooler. Id be the first to buy a roman numeraled book.
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm his 42nd biggest fan [Big Grin]
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked up to him long before any of you had even heard of him [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just a regular old fan, and being totally and hopelessly uncool for all of my life, I don't bother to look for flaws in books, although I do see them if they are REALLY glaring, like the main character inexplicably changes names halfway through! (movies are a different story, I rather enjoy ripping on those with my family) Well... actually I DO like pointing out flaws in text books, a bad habit I developed in highschool history classes.

*babbling*

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Actually, I was thinking of writing a book with randomly numbered chapters. Which you then reassemble into the correct order, only it still doesn't make any sense.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, I was thinking of writing a book with randomly numbered chapters. Which you then reassemble into the correct order, only it still doesn't make any sense.
I don't think turning "The Monkeys Thought Twas all in Fun" into a full length novel is that great an idea.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ April 02, 2005, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm your 7661st biggest fan...
Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what number fan I am. But as of two months ago, I have read more books by OSC than any other author.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I place myself at number 72. Low enough that he knows I'm devoted to his work, but still high enough that he knows I'm not crazy or stalkerish.

[ April 02, 2005, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're thining of rewriting Naked Lunch?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Most authors don't read anything by me. Which is why I have so little influence (as in: none) on literature outside my own books.

Oh, oh wait, I see ... I misunderstood what you meant by "I read more books by him than any other author."

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

From http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=033314

quote:
I can't say I blame him for not posting much normally. Every time he does, people make a big deal out of it....
quote:
We're all so star struck that we even read your word association posts.
This is what I was talking about Mr. Card! You never wish to have your writings just read as if you weren't a famous author?
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

I sure want my writings to SELL like a famous author's. I think I choose ... Mary Higgins Clark.

[ April 04, 2005, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.