FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Creating the Teaser/Trailer for Ender's Game (The Movie)

Author Topic: Creating the Teaser/Trailer for Ender's Game (The Movie)
H. Graff
Member # 7684

- posted      Profile for H. Graff   Email H. Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
The real question is going to be how they put together the trailer for the movie. OSC's book deserves to be made into a movie that allows people who don't know anything about the book to recognize it for the wonderful piece of work that it is.
Thus, the trailer needs to be done with a seriousness that helps offset the young age of the main characters. Otherwise, people are going to think its a Sci-Fi version of Spy Kids.

The music I would use for the trailer would be Hans Zimmer's "Journey to the Line" from the soundtrack of "The Thin Red Line". It has a wonderful sense of forboding and leads to an impressive climax.

So imagine this:

1)Cue "Journey to the Line"

1.5) Show several battle scenes from the Second Invasion and humanity's forces being decimated. (and perhaps the scouring of China as stated in the book)

2)Show a frame of Ender (with the monitor on his neck) with Valentine as IF personnel arrive.

3) Next frame: Graff explaining to Ender he is being "offered" the chance to go to battle school and that his parents really didn't want a third (and juxtapose this scene with a scene of Ender's parents tearfully watching him leave - this is to help show early that Graff's frequent use of deception)

4) Next Frame: Ender in the shuttle as it approaches battle school, with kids joking and having fun, except for Ender who remains quiet (in order to begin the showing of Ender's isolation from others)

5) Next Frame: Ender with his launchy group and the mean nature of older kids.

6) Next Frame: Graff and Anderson discussing (in vague terms) what Graff has planned for Ender and Anderson's shock at the training.

7) Next Frame: Ender putting on a flash suit and then showing Salamander Army in the hallway before the battleroom, and show the battleroom doors opening as another army streams out from the opposite door.

8)Next Frame: Graff talking to Anderson about time being short and that Ender must moved through the program with all necessary speed and Anderson replying that the battleschool program will be ruined for years to come.

9)Final Frame: A shot of Ender in the command console area at Command School on Eros with a impressive looking control console and display showing a massive fleet before him.

Well, obviously this a very rough idea, and I imagine that the studio will come up with an infinitely better trailer and accompanying music, but I just thought I would share how I would do it if I was in the magic chair.

What are ya'll's ideas? How would you do it?

[ March 31, 2005, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: H. Graff ]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, but where is Bean in all of this? The movie is a mixture between Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
easy, you switch from one scene to the next.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
also bean didnt get to BS until a while after ender got there.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
yess, is good but I add Bonzo sicking a slap to Petra and Ender falling down in the battle room and shoting. And only a phrase of each one because it has to be short

We can speak with mr.Card??? I suppose that he will have a important role in the trailer

Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AbeLinclon
Member # 6923

- posted      Profile for AbeLinclon   Email AbeLinclon         Edit/Delete Post 
I see it like this.

Scene- Ender's face half shadowed turns up torwards camera.

next scene - Bean's face loks up torwards a camera in bridpoint of view.

next scene- the boy's stand back to back looking up at the camera.

next scene a bucnh of lasers going off in the battle room but nothing distingusihable as kids fighting. Looks like a laser battle or soemthing.

next scene- Ender saying dramatically "The enemies gate is down"

next scene - Title "ender's Game" Coming in march 2007
(or something wahtever the date is)

Posts: 42 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
next scene- Ender saying dramatically "The enemies gate is down"
I'd be shocked if you are not dead on about this being the final scene. Something audibly identifiable as from Ender's Game for those folks that normally talk over the previews/commercials in theaters.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane_Lane
Member # 7665

- posted      Profile for Jane_Lane   Email Jane_Lane         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaah the move could be so good! I really hope it lives up to all expectations - Those little imaginary trailers have got be quite excited about the film, and it hasn't even started production yet!

I definitely think the enemies gate quote should be in there. Did OSC say that the bathroom scene with Bonzo wouldn't be in the movie? I think a scene relating to that incident would be good.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

Jane I'm with you. The scene when Bean saw since the professors remove Bonzo, but no the fight.
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! You're the guy who joined VBS to post that idea only. [Mad] [Razz]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

The music stays well.

The scene of Ender saying "The enemies gate is down" I would put it ultimately, so the cartel would go out with Ender's game of some impressive form

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see the trailer end as Ender speaks "The enemies gate is down" and just fade to black for a second, then put up the release date. I think those of us who love the book would lose our minds. Or in my case go find it, then promptly lose it again
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
what's vbs?
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belgarath
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Belgarath   Email Belgarath         Edit/Delete Post 
Heres a link to VBS .

VBS stands for Virtual Battle School

Posts: 40 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

Darkknihgt you have reason, better not to see the room of battle (or to enclosed Ender) up to the last moment
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
think those of us who love the book would lose our minds. Or in my case go find it, then promptly lose it again
Oooo, like that feeling I got at the end of LotR: FotR when I realised the credits were rolling and my life was over until next November?
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FormerlyEmpty
Member # 7717

- posted      Profile for FormerlyEmpty   Email FormerlyEmpty         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only DIE-HARD Ender fan who is definetly NOT EVER going to watch OR EVEN LOOK AT A CLIP OF ENDER'S GAME THE MOVIE? I feel it will ruin the book for me. I don't want to see little Ender's actor's face, or hear his voice or anything. Ever.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

- posted      Profile for Suri-cool   Email Suri-cool         Edit/Delete Post 
Go on the Philotic Web fan stuff an there are some good suggested trailers a few I really like.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sejanus
Member # 7705

- posted      Profile for Sejanus   Email Sejanus         Edit/Delete Post 
Im going to camp outside the theater for 6 months before its release.

You know, just in case.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane_Lane
Member # 7665

- posted      Profile for Jane_Lane   Email Jane_Lane         Edit/Delete Post 
Formerly Empty - I was originally completely against the film, but if I don't go to see it, I'll always be wondering how it turned out. I'm quite excited about is seeing all the effects stuff - Just seeing it all come to life, especially with OSC working on it.

I'd be opposed to people who haven't read it first, going to see it, but now that I've got my own visualisation of the characters in my head, I'm happy to go see some actors portraying the roles.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordache Dailey
Member # 7699

- posted      Profile for Jordache Dailey   Email Jordache Dailey         Edit/Delete Post 
i just hope they get some decent actors in there to do the movie. but with osc in the mix it should turn out great!
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I am for the film, hopefully there will be people inspired by the film enough to go read the book
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.