FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Shadow of the Giant Cover Artwork

Author Topic: Shadow of the Giant Cover Artwork
Sejanus
Member # 7705

- posted      Profile for Sejanus   Email Sejanus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new to Hatrack River. I've read all the Ender books, and currently, I'm in a bit of a bind.

I've been assigned an English project in which I must cast a movie for a book I've read. In my case, this is Shadow of the Giant. Once cast, I must make a promotional movie poster by whatever means I like. Since this is the first grade of the new quarter, I want it to look GOOD. I'm Photoshopping it, and I want to use the original art of the cover in part of the poster. The only problem is, it's covered in big gold block letters.

Is there anywhere I could find this picture without the text so I could use it for the poster (assuming I'm allowed to use it for non-commercial purposes?)

Also, I'm having a little trouble with casting. This is just my initial list, feel free to make suggestions. Note that I do take liberties with some things.

Bean - Hayden Christensen (Star Wars II - Anakin)
Petra - Keira Knightley
Peter - James Franco (Changed from Ashton Kutcher... WTF was I thinking?)
Alai - Derek Luke (Antwone Fisher)
Virlomi - Ashwarya Rai
Han Tzu - Shin Koyamada (Last Samurai - Nobutada)
Graff - Tommy Lee Jones
Mazer - Morgan Freeman (Yes, I realize Mazer is Maori and Morgan Freeman is Black. I just cant imagine anyone else in this role.)
Suriyawong - Shichinosuke Nakamura (Last Samurai - Emperor)

THE RESULT OF MY WORK ON THE POSTER: http://www.lucaland.com/sotg7x11.jpg

Feel free to make any suggestions.

Thanks,
-Kevin

[ April 04, 2005, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Sejanus ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JHamilton
Member # 7683

- posted      Profile for JHamilton   Email JHamilton         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few thoughts:

Keira Knightly is a little old for Petra. Also, a little too pretty. The actor needs to exhude strength, confidence, and arrogance.

Hayden Christensen is a little short to play Bean-as-giant. He's also a little too pretty. I'd go with someone with more stature, some rugged handsomeness, but not too much of that supermodel look. Someone like a younger version of Bruce Willis.

Hayden Christensen would be a better pick for Peter than Ashton Kutcher. But, I just don't like Kutcher, to begin with.

For Mazer Rackham, the guy who played Jango Fett (sorry I can't remember his name) is full-blooded Maori. But he's a little young for the part; nothing they can't fix with makeup.

--Joshua

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sejanus
Member # 7705

I picked Keira Knightley for her personality - She comes off as very agressive in most of her films and has the right sort of smart ass attitude that's needed for Petra. For too pretty - There's nothing putting on a few pounds can't fix.

Hayden Christensen as Bean - The same techniques used in Lord of the Rings to make the Hobbits shorter can be used to make Bean Taller, or everyone else shorter. Not only is Hayden Naturally Tall, but he has the cool, complex way about him that is needed for Bean.

Ashton Kutcher was one of my harder picks because I have not seen him very much in dramatic roles, but I know he can play them. He has the kind of charisma that is needed for Peter's part.

As for the fact that they're all too old -

1) Try finding any good actors at the ages of 16-19 with any skill

2) Most movies cast older people as younger characters.

I just cant imagine Mazer Rackham being played by ANYONE but Morgan Freeman, Maori, Black, or whatever.

[ April 03, 2005, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Sejanus ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's nothing putting on a few pounds can't fix.
*shakes head in disgust* [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmine
Member # 7370

- posted      Profile for Jasmine   Email Jasmine         Edit/Delete Post 
Keira knightley= my role model
Petra= my fiction model
so if keira was younger..it would work out terrificly. glad you made that suggestion.

good actors 16-19= i can be one of them [Big Grin]
I thought mazer was from New Zeland?
I'd say Hayden is better for Peter too. Ashton's just... [No No] it i don't see Peter in him

Posts: 146 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Agnes Bean
Member # 7614

- posted      Profile for Agnes Bean   Email Agnes Bean         Edit/Delete Post 
RE: The text on the cover: You can get rid of that in photoshop using the clone tool. This tutorial might help you.

[ April 03, 2005, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Agnes Bean ]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Bean supposed to be half Black and half Mediterranian?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Peter - Ashton Kutcher
It's a good thing that I'm not a moderator, because I'd be tempted to ban you for that. [Wink]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
val
Member # 7687

- posted      Profile for val   Email val         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that may give you some more casting options IF the teacher will allow it: ask if you need to use actors as they are currently, or if you can specify "a young so-and-so". We did a similar assignment in my Script Anaylsis class earlier this semester and the teacher allowed us this freedom. It also let us use actors who have already passed on.
Good luck with the assignment! [Smile]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I really don't want to be rude here, but Ashton Kutcher as Peter?! Peter, the ruthless genius who went down in history as one of humankind's greatest leaders, played by the man best known for Punk'd and Kelso on That 70's Show?! That's like having Jim Carey play Ender in a film adaptation of Speaker for the Dead! It's just such a radical shift from what the actor is best known for. The audience would just be laughing at the idea of Kelso forming a world government.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
James Franco, who plays Harry in the Spiderman movies, would be my pick for Peter. I guess he and Hayden look similar, but I wasn't impressed with Hayden's portrayal of Anikin.

I love Keira Knightly, but I would cast her as Valentine instead of Petra. But Valentine ins't in Shadow, so it doesn't matter.

Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sejanus
Member # 7705

I completely forgot about James Franco. I agree he would be a better pick.

I hope it's not too late to change the poster - Thanks for the suggestion.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.