FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » A Question Mr Card (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Question Mr Card
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
What is your prefered name? What name would you prefer when we refer to you? I ask this so that I dont seem rude, I never like to seem rude it makes to many potential friends into enemies.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe he goes by Scott.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, his son calls him "Card." [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think he does that in private? Or just on the boards?

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
who's his son?
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
In real life, "Geoff." On the board, "Puppy" or "A Rat Named Dog."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
thanks.
how many other relationships don't i know about?
[Dont Know]

i'd venture to say.. all of them.

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
My son REFERS to me as "Card," which is the officially correct method of referring to an author who is not present, to avoid calling me "Dad" all the time, which is (a) ambiguous among those who don't know he's my son and (b) potentially annoying to those who might assume he's stressing our relationship.

Of course in private, like the rest of the family, he calls me "Sir."

Yeah, as if.

I really do go pretty equally by Scott and Orson. People I like call me by either name.

People who hate me tend to call me either "That Homophobic, Intolerant, Sexist, Bigoted, Rightwing Religious Fanatic Card" OR "That Communist Race-mixing Leftwing Jack-Mormon Dirty-book-writing Evolution-preaching AntiChrist Card."

I answer to any of them.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go, playing the Anti-Christ card... [Wink]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
For a second there, I thought he was talking about me. [Angst]
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really do go pretty equally by Scott and Orson. People I like call me by either name.
Notice how ambiguous he left it? It still doesn't answer the question of whether he expects any of us to call him by those names. [Razz]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
Call him Scott and you know that he likes you! [Big Grin]
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was rather clear he wanted everyone to address him as Sir.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

No, that's my family that calls me Sir. Others must call me Memsahib. If it's good enough for Kipling, it's good enough for me.

Enough with the Bwana stuff. I'm no Tarzan.

[ April 04, 2005, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Wait. Zotto! just called me "dude" on another thread. I have never felt so included in my life. That's the name for me.
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

- posted      Profile for LTC DuBois   Email LTC DuBois         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude are you still jetlagged?
Posts: 61 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Yap, jetlagged cool dude!
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

All three of us are insanely lagged. We went to bed at something close to a reasonable hour, but none of us could sleep, and now it looks like we can't send Z to school tomorrow because she's hardly slept a wink tonight.

- Dude.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Memsahib Dude Sir, you should have tried those No Jet Lag tabs. They work great!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Yes. Now I know you're right. I'm Sasha Foo.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, Memsahib Dude Sir, is it my imagination, or are you making absolutely no sense at all? [Angst]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, was that a serious recommendation?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait. Zotto! just called me "dude" on another thread. I have never felt so included in my life. That's the name for me.
Dude, I'm happy that you recognized my oh-so-subtle way of assuming familiarity with you enough to include you in my circle of friends & close acquaintances. Good on you.

Oh wait, does this belong in the "Well Done" thread? [Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

The Dude is above ordinary considerations like making sense.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Rivka, if you're asking about the No Jet Lag tabs, yes. They're fantastic. I used them on my way from Canada to Sri Lanka - 40 hours travel time including layover in Hong Kong with some napping on the plane, and while I wasn't fresh as a daisy when I landed, it didn't take much to get used to being on a clock 12 hours different than what I was used to. Yep, worked like a lucky charm. [Big Grin] And that's me, with sleep disorders. [Big Grin]
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

You're just not old enough to get the joke. There was once a news commentator on ... CBS? CNN? ... named Sasha Foo. David Letterman would play a tape of her signoff: "This is Sasha Foo."

Letterman would then repeat, over and over (as is his wont), "I am Sasha Foo" whenever he did something dumb.

Because "Sasha Foo" sounded vaguely like then-current Ghe-to slang for "Such a fool."

So for a while there, lackwit sheep like me were saying "I am Sasha Foo" when we meant what would now be "My bad."

[ April 04, 2005, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Memsahib Dude Sir, I sincerely doubt it's my age. It's more likely a dislike for American news and David Letterman that does it. Hmm. Yeah, that's pretty much it. [Dont Know] I think I've watched Letterman all of once in my life. Twice if you really stretch it.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
A-ha. So when speaking to him directly, it's "Memsahib". When making a third-person reference to him, it's "the Dude". When referring to him in the third person plural, it's "Messrs Card".
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
if OSC (thats what i'll call him, darnit) says "the dude abides" i'm gonna lose it. I really hope he has seen The Big Lebowski, because thats what i'm going to picture him looking like from now on.
Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]

OSC abides.

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
So, That Communist Race-mixing Leftwing Jack-Mormon Dirty-book-writing Evolution-preaching AntiChrist Card, how you been lately? [Razz]
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
J/K, of course.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

So for people you like it's Card or Scott. But for your family its sir [Big Grin] ? Is it possible that I can just say sir since I don't know if I'm the annoying type of fan you wish would jump off a bridge or the okay fan who you don't mind talking to. By the way since you seem to like Risk may I suggest playing Hearts of Iron 2? http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/heartsofiron2/
index.html?q=Hearts+of+iron+2

This I swear is the last time I suggest playing the game. Since I don't want to end up on the "Fan who must jump off of a bridge" list. Anyways Uber job on Shadow of a Giant, kept me reading for hours.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
here's my question: when someone refers to you as, say, Mr. Card, do you a) let the "Mr." stand, b) say "Please, call me Orson", c) say "Please, call me Scott" or d) other?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to use both OSC and Mr. Card. OSC sounds weird when giving ownership, such as

OSC's book. How do you say that? Oh-Es-Cee's [Angst]

Card's cards sounds better so I mix them up.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FormerlyEmpty
Member # 7717

- posted      Profile for FormerlyEmpty   Email FormerlyEmpty         Edit/Delete Post 
The Grand Ooorgle = OCS
As in: The Grand Ooorgle's new book Shadow of the Giant was fantastic and wrapped up everything except Achilles II.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used "Unky Orson" a few times. I'm figuring that might get me slapped.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that I have a new image of "the Dude" in my head. Sorry Labowski, but OSC has the name now.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I respect Mr. Card, "The Dude" will always belong to Lebowski
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, I called you "Dude" first!
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
You called who first?
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LTC DuBois
Member # 7661

Dude, you did dude the Dude!
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

I give up.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Quoth SarcasticMuppet: "here's my question: when someone refers to you as, say, Mr. Card, do you a) let the "Mr." stand, b) say "Please, call me Orson", c) say "Please, call me Scott" or d) other?"

Answer 1. It depends. Are they trying to sell me insurance?

Answer 2. It depends. Have they given my books bad reviews or insulted me in public, recently enough that I remember it?

Answer 3. Is it my daughter-in-law? Dang, I keep meaning to tell her she can call me Sir like her husband does.

[ April 06, 2005, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Syrjay
Member # 7706

- posted      Profile for Syrjay   Email Syrjay         Edit/Delete Post 
Just call him the way my mother addresses cards she sends to me.

Master Card. (I am quite sure you heard the one before but I threw it out anyway, dude.)

Writing Ender's Game - $1M
Going to Brazil for a Missionary - $0
Having a following of nerds and geeks wherever you go - Priceless!

Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Seeer Jay. Aswomeus.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to call him "Mr. Card". The reason for that is probably my [sarcasm]undying repect for my elders[/sarcasm].
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

I'm inclined to keep using "Mr. Card" simply because he's a man my parents' age whom I have never met. Calling him "Orson" or "Scott" would be a level of familiarity I would be uncomfortable with unless he insisted on it himself. I know that seems kind of strange in today's society, but I can't help it. I was raised to respect geez--uh, my elders.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Master Card.
Yeah, definitely don't start calling him Master. It never turns out well. I had a friend by the name of John Bates...he never heard the end of it.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My son REFERS to me as "Card," which is the officially correct method of referring to an author who is not present, to avoid calling me "Dad" all the time, which is (a) ambiguous among those who don't know he's my son and (b) potentially annoying to those who might assume he's stressing our relationship.

Just wanted to point out that my father is the first person ever to catch on to why I refer to him as "Card" without my having to laboriously explain it [Smile] I guess it arises from the way I was raised ...
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.