FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » I found Ender!!!

Author Topic: I found Ender!!!
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched The Ring last night very very late, and during this excellent horror movie set in my city (meaning I can't go to the places filmed EVER AGIAN alone and at night), I had about two coherent thoughts.

1. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!

2. Aiden=Ender.

That is all.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Is Aiden 5? Because that's how old he'd have to be to be 9 by the time Ender's Game is actually filmed.

OK, so I'm in a sour mood tonight.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*offers Scott a lemon drop*

Sour, yet sweet. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I'll ever see that kid again, and not be creeped out. If I see that movie, Hide and Seek, then the same thing will probably happen with Dakota Fa... whatever her name. I just have a problem with kids for the most part though. Darn Linda Blair.

That kid could possibly do a good job though.

Don't worry Mr. Card. The fact that how long it's taking so long for the movie must surely mean that they're handeling it with the up most care. Surely.

edit
eh, nevermind I was going to make it readable, but I changed my mind.

[ April 06, 2005, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Mr_Megalomaniac ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, my three year old cousin is Ender. He knew his abcs before he was two. He could spell his name (First, middle and last) before he was potty trained. He made "Happy Easter" cards last month, and yes, the writing was legible. He can use a computer and play little kid games(laptop, so he does a touchpad for everything).
Sadly, he is gigantic for his age. People think he's five, not three years three months.
Good thing there's no alien invasions. He's an only child, and I think his parents would be quite unhappy if he were taken.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I attained literacy at age two. But I wasn't big for my age. Actually, I've always been pretty small for my age. Even now. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my parents I could carry out a full conversation at a very young age...not sure what age it was though. I've alway been big for my size (let me put it this way I was 6'1 when I was twelve).
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
He just turned 8 according to imdb. I didn't see The Ring, but I really enjoyed him as Charles Wallace in the TV series A Wrinkle In Time.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
man, i hated that movie.
i had to watch winnie the pooh for two hours before i was ok again. [Mad]

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
i was literate at 2, and downright precocious at 3. but i didnt have "general precociousness" [Big Grin] i was reading college-level books at age 6.

btw, i just read First Meetings, and its was ridiculous how familiar John Paul felt.

but i digress. i personally think that big E would have to be played by some unknown kid. unfortunately, i dont know if the movie producers would be too thrilled about that; they probably want some name they could bank on.

Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I play Ender? I'm only 20 years old and rarely shave, but I think I could pull it off. Plus, if you start making the sequels I could also be in those, so you wouldn't have to hire an older guy if you hired a twirp in the beginging. It works out perfectly.

[ April 06, 2005, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Mr_Megalomaniac ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, is it a "people who hang out on these boards" thing? I knew my colors (learned from Cindi Lauper's hair in music videos I watched on MTV with my sisters) and spoke in complete sentences with over 500 words at 15 months, could count forward to 200 and backwards from 60 and could do simple arithmetic (up to 10, as in 1+6=7, 10-4=6, etc.) at 22 months, taught myself to read at 3, could write and spell a little by 4, was reading at a college level by 8-- and walked late, potty-trained right at the upper end of normal, was never a good runner, and couldn't catch and throw a ball very well...

Maybe it's that thing about people who were smart kids being attracted to Ender's Game. (Although I must say I like Bean better.)

[ April 07, 2005, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you calm yourself by doubling numbers until you get to like a zillion?
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, I used to when I was a kid, but I've always been really good at relaxation self hypnosis-- my dad taught me at 2 1/2 so I would sleep-- and it's much more effective. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

Hmmm...

Can you read numbers off of a big poster?

Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*looks down at post count*

Was that some kind of crack at me?

No, seriously, why do you ask, and what do you mean?

Verai
Member # 7507

I'm referring to the scene where Ender was upset for some reason or the other (He's ALWAYS upset, GEEZ - I remember, it was at the beginning after playing Astronaughts and Buggers) - he "counted doubles" to get to sleep. 2,4,8,16,32

I was saying that because you could be Ender if you could read off the card [Big Grin]

(Is that some unintentional subtlety?)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, that.

I can't be Ender; I'm 21, and have had a baby and have all the, ah, apparatus that goes with that. [Wink]

Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
A stroller?

[Confused]

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Riiiiiight. And a big fat diaper bag. If that's what you kids are calling them these days. [Razz]
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually just three years old myself. Surely many of you thought I must be older. I finished the Ender's Game series before I was six months old. Put off the movie a couple of years, Mr. Card, and I'm your man (boy)! [Wink]
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Member # 7458

- posted      Profile for AB   Email AB         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually my son Michael is perfect for Ender. He is very smart (he could draw recognizable figures when he was two, knew all shapes, colors, etc). He is learning to read now (he's 3). But the main reason Michael is perfect is that he is the most charismatic child I have ever known. He has the absolute adoration of every child in his class, and every teacher at his new school. And he was just as beloved at his old school. He's probably a little to sweet right now (one teacher told me yesterday he was the kindest child she'd ever met). Plus, his hair is a bit light-colored. I always imagined Ender with nearly black hair.

And if he's too old by the time the movie's ready, there's my one-year-old Eli. He's probably too big though. He's at least as smart as Michael but much more aggressive and physical. Thick dark hair, too.

My husband and I, like the Wiggins, are just glad there's two of us and we're grown-ups.

OK enough proud Mommy, stuff.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, the primary thing that will be needed in the kid playing Ender is acting ability. The character is phenomenally intelligent, but there isn't really any need for the actor to be so.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He's probably a little to sweet right now (one teacher told me yesterday he was the kindest child she'd ever met).
Grow his hair out and he can be Valentine. [Big Grin]

quote:
Plus, his hair is a bit light-colored. I always imagined Ender with nearly black hair.
I pictured Ender fair. Magaret Peterson Haddix wrote a SF series set in a future where couples could only have two children. The picture of Haddix's hero third was exactly how I pictured Ender.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I HATED the ring. I will probably end up seeing the second one anyway but I'm sorry I found the movie not that scary, the plotline shoddy, and the whole creepy spychic (I know thats spelled wrong) girl coming out of TV thing silly. Just my opinion though...
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avicus
Member # 7652

- posted      Profile for Avicus   Email Avicus         Edit/Delete Post 
It can't be a kid that was ever in a movie or TV show before. It's going to have to be a fresh face. You have to remember that this role is like Luke Skywalker or Superman. There are hundreds of thousands of fans that are not going to want to think of other movies when watching this one. It's going to have to stand alone. Besides, this shouldn't be just some regular movie that's there to for a few laughs and to shed a few tears. It's beyond tears. You should be able to go there, watch the film, and leave there with the same feeling you had when finnishing the book.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I oppose having Aiden as Ender!!!
I think he's an awsom actor, but he is just too old for the part...

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Member # 7458

- posted      Profile for AB   Email AB         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon makes an excellent point. The primary characteristic we need for any child actor is the ability to act.

Again, I have to nominate my two little boys. Incredible little actors. When Michael was 2 I asked him to find something in the living room. He said he couldn't see it. I saw it and pointed it out to him. He said, where? I got more and more specific and he kept saying, completely straight faced, that he couldn't see it. My husband then pointed out that he thought Michael was playing a joke on us, and then he started laughing.

The other day Eli (who is 1) left his bottle in the doorway to the kitchen. My husband went to get something in the fridge, came back and the bottle wasn't there. He said "Eli's where's your bottle?" And he looked at him like a 1 year old. Shane then spent 5 minutes looking for the thing, then went to the bathroom. When he came back Eli was standing in the doorway to the kitchen, the bottle was exactly where it was before, and Eli had a completely innocent look on his face.

If that ain't acting!!

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.