FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Performing OSC's work?

Author Topic: Performing OSC's work?
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just curious how you, OSC, feel about turning your works (most likely the short stories, but not necessarily limited too them) into plays or performance pieces? I remember not too long ago you having a performance of just that, some of your short stories turned into plays.

I ask specifically because I just finished reading "Homeless in Hell" and think it would be incredible as a one-act play. (I have the perfect body type to play Nick, but that is beside the point [Smile] ) Obviously you're a busy man, so you can't be adapting all your works into plays, but how do you feel about others adapting it? (Is it even legal, as far as copywriting is concerned, of which I know nothing.)
Just curious about the whole idea of performing your stories, since you seem to have considered it in the past.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll think about adapting homeless in hell. You're right, it would work on stage. But if anybody adapts it, it'll be me. <Grin>

Thanks for the suggestion.

The world needs more one-act plays. Well, high school drama teachers need more one-act plays, anyway ...

Not only that, but I'll find a way to make as many characters female as possible, without damaging the story ... because the other thing high schools and colleges need is MORE GOOD PARTS FOR WOMEN.

Speaking of which, the plays in Posing as People will be made available for production on our film/theatre website, http://www.taleswapper.net

This will replace the frescopix website, since we're changing the name of our company. We were only called fresco pictures because one of the partners, who had the secret agenda of getting control of my works while getting rid of me, didn't want "taleswapper" as our company name, and insisted on Fresco. Now that we're rid of that partner (at great cost), there's no reason to keep the name, which is a constant irritant.

Meanwhile, we will offer any scripts I intend to make available for production on that site. We will also put up ten-page samples of the screenplays we're developing for production which are not actually under option, and whose rights are controlled by us.

[ April 08, 2005, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see it now..."ENDER'S GAME: THE MUSICAL!"

foam spaceships on wires whirling around overhead, ender sitting at a cardboard computer terminal... [Big Grin]

Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.