FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » An OSC Hug Thread

Author Topic: An OSC Hug Thread
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've nothing better to do - I've been sleepy for 3.5 hours (since 12:00): I woke up at 9, after sleping over 8 hours. I drank only hot chocolate, coffee and ate sweet apples - so I'm really tired.

Biology does not apply to me - just like psychology.

So, let's all hug OSC!

[Group Hug]

(((OSC))) For creating Hatrack.
(((OSC))) For your sense of humour.
(((OSC))) For being such a great writer.
(((OSC))) For being such a great person.
(((OSC))) For your illuminating the world in my eyes (I'm Kant, you're Hume).

[Group Hug]

So, let's give another round of applause for OSC!!! [Party]

JH

P.S. It's as if I've takn 3 sleeping pills beyond those who take 4 packets to die. Give me a break, I am hopeless and nedy and desperate for adoring someone. I'm not e-mailing Rabbi David Rosen again; too impolite, whereas this is a thread and OSC is warmer a personality.

*Drops dead.*

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaiTenshi
Member # 7759

- posted      Profile for DaiTenshi   Email DaiTenshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto!!!!!
[The Wave]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
You are way too nice, and not only am I unworthy of such a level of appreciation, I'm not sure any nondivine person COULD be worthy. I dread the terrible day when you realize what a complete s---heel I am.

But as long as Hatrack remains #1 on your list, I'm relatively safe. Because, of course, its quality depends largely on you and fellow ratraquenhos.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh oh oh!! You just coined a portuguese version of Jatraqueros. I love you!! All these spanish speaking snobs and their cute little name! And now there's a portuguese version for the likes of ME...and Porter! [Big Grin]

Ratraquenhos. I LOVE it! [Kiss]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
"...you and fellow ratraquenhos."

Am not.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, the Portuguese version should be "ratraqueiros." But I like the "enho" ending, though it is rarer in portuguese than in spanish. So since I'm making up the word, I get to pick which suffix to use <grin>.

And for those who don't speak Portuguese, and initial or doubled R is sounded somewhere between the American initial H sound (Sao Paulo) and the guttural Hebrew CH. But the R in the raquenho part is a normal tapped r, as in Spanish and Italian.

Plus, in Portuguese, the As are much closer to the way they're pronounced in English. Not QUITE the same, but not as pronouncedly AH-ish as the Spanish A sound.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

HELP WHAT'S GOING ON AAAAHHHH [Angst]
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
A few of us changed the initial J of "Jatraquero" a little while ago to an R for exactly that reason. But I have to say, I like "Ratraquenho" better. I'm a sucker for the "nh" and "lh" combinations. I realize they make the same sounds as Spanish "ñ" and "ll" (Castilian, not Latin American), respectively, but I just think the Portuguese way of writing those sounds looks cooler. [Cool]

[ April 09, 2005, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

*high fives Verily* We need to start a movement and initiate some more CHANGE where this is concerned! [Evil]

*holds up megaphone*

"My fellow Ratraquenhos! We have nothing to fear but...being laughed at!!"

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Or being called Rats by Those Who Don't Get It.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

!?!?!?!?

double-you-tee-eff?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Maybe you should insert Ratraquenho as an alternative title for Jatraqueros, and make it official. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
!?!?!?!?

double-you-tee-eff?

"Jatraquero" is what you might call a Spanish-flavored spelling of "Hatracker". It means nothing more or less than "person who posts on Hatrack", but looks more exotic. "Ratraquenho" would be a Portuguese-flavored variant of the same thing. The first letter in both words is still pronounced (more or less) like H.

(Edited to clarify whom I was talking to.)

[ April 09, 2005, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

Why don't we get to do stuff like that in English? [Frown]
Narnia
Member # 1071

There are a few things I like about the term:

1. OSC coined it.
2. It is portuguese...mostly.
3. the 'nhos' at the end implies a term of endearment...see #1. [Smile]

Yeah. It should definitely be official. But maybe the way to go about it is to start the underground movement and be subtle. They'll start calling everyone "Rats" before we know it. [Big Grin]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
Why don't we get to do stuff like that in English?
Like what? Make up words?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Or pronounce letters differently than others do? 'Cause we do that all the time.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

We do both all the time.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Eee-zackly. [Wink]
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, there was a time when I wasn't so sure about you, OSC. I mean, I love your books, and I continue to read them, and there's nothing wrong with them. But it was hard for me to come to terms with the fact that I could like your books so much and disagree with you so very, very much.

For a while, I struggled, because many of my friends, and a few of my very best friends, lost their taste for this forum when your essay on homosexuality came out. I was torn between trying to justify your opinions to myself and others, and having to deal with loving a place that was owned by someone whose opinions differed so vastly and greatly than mine.

Later on, I realized that my policy of taking all comers to be my friends in real life conflicted with my policy of being ashamed for liking an author with opinions that I disagree with. I thought to myself, at least OSC's not L. Ron Hubbard. He may be conservative, but he's not crazy. Aaanyway. I realized that if I could still pay attention to people who I disagreed with in real life, there shouldn't be any problem with someone I didn't even know.

I realized that whatever someone's opinions are, they can still make and do beautiful things, they are still good people. That different opinions don't preclude positive interactions. It's something I already knew, but didn't think about. So, for allowing me to come to a realization that will help me in the long run in my life, thanks, OSC.

(((((OSC)))))

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or being called Rats by Those Who Don't Get It.
Dude, this happens to me ALL THE TIME.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
*gives OSC a big thumbs up and hearty handshake*
[Big Grin]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
*Joins Mr_Megalomaniac.*
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Laugh] at Geoff...erm, should I say "Rat"?
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatraquenhos... It is nice to we are call we...
OSC, you have given us a name!!!!

Hatraqueños to the power!!!!!!!!

[The Wave]

Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[ROFL]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.