FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC Nukes in Civilization 2

Author Topic: OSC Nukes in Civilization 2
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it annoy you Mr Card sir that the AI never has any self restraint in using nuclear missiles? the minute it gets them boom, a city goes onto the atomic pyre. And geuss what? It was THEIR city originally. Normally I would laugh and shrug it off since its not even a main source of my own production but.... the fraken (Battle Star Galactica swear) AI got 2 of my nukes! [Mad] [Wall Bash]

Bah I think the AI cheats. But in other news in retaliation Madrid no longer exists. [Wink]
But ya, its annoying a nuclear bomb causing
A) pollution
B) reduces the population by 1-2 thirds
C) destorys alot of buildings and all units

and after all a city is a huge investment, this is why I like humans, we at least have the self restraint not to use them at the first excuse. Any chance of a multiplayer game some time?

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Multiplayer Civilization II. I'm In.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I wanted to play Mr Card.... oh well, give me your msn, mine is sid_meier@hotmail.com

I have a couple of friends who have it as well.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
eih, I also want play... Frangy_@hotmail.com
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are the Devil's advocates!
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
On a related note, In Civ 3 the enemy usually won't use nukes unless you've made them REALLY mad, or used nukes yourself. And if you start dropping tons of nukes the rest of the world will declare war on you.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Ya I played Civ3 as well. Though now we get to another problem, what prevents you from stocking them up and vaporizing every single city they have? Or they doing it to you? If they made it so that ICBMs didn't get destroyed in a nuclear assault it'ld be better then on your turn you could counter attack with your own nukes and blam, World War 3 [Big Grin] . Pollution has gone up 80000%.
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
Also in Civ III other civilizations get REALLY upset with you when you use nukes on ANY other civilization. It's a diplomatic nightmare if you will.

I also occasionally enjoy playing Civ 3 on the easiest setting. It's been awhile so I don't remember which that is, but it's truly wonderful to crush Germany with Panzer tanks as they try to defend with spearmen.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never, never allowed another civilization to get to the point where it would develop nukes. By the time I win, they're all still begging to find out the secret of Invention.

I told you, I concentrate on the civilized activities - like knowledge production.

If only pumping money into research actually worked like that.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm much the same when I play the Civ games, I make a point that I either get way far ahead in Tech or if they do get nukes before me I keep the peace till all my cities have defence against nukes.

Personally I like using nukes on groups of enemy ships, no pollution and if you can get a group of them with maybe a transport or two they can do some damage.

I never really got into civ2 much but then I was a missionary in Mexico when it came out. Mostly just played the first one and the third one.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I have never, never allowed another civilization to get to the point where it would develop nukes. By the time I win, they're all still begging to find out the secret of Invention."

*blink* Even at the higher difficulty settings? When I played CivII at the higher levels, I found that the bonuses given to the civs more than compensated for however much I pumped up my science.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Blah, then wheres the challenge? But ya, once I got "industrialized" and began full tank/ship/riflemen/plane production I begin taking over other nations. In my recent game with my friends I had a hell of a time pumping Peter's enemies with tech! What could've been Peter getting a whole continent to himself is now a grinded stalemate. I'm able to just barely caught up to them tech wise (tech every 4 turns) I'm converting my economy to communism and blitzing them. Peter is bigger then I am and I can't compete in the long run once he developes his cities. (my 9.5 million people to his 12.5 million). I'm colonizing other continents but that wont kick in until later, so once I get tanks and bombers I'm building up and army and bringing Peter to his knees. Once he gets nukes its over.
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to play anyone here Civ2. I start to get bored while playing it myself. I normally play until I know that I would win, regardless of what the other person does and then just retire. (Even on the higher difficulties.) My name is Jesse_Risner@hotmail.com if anyone is interested in playing.

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

AHH it was YOU who added me, now it makes sense! [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.