FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mr. Card, do you remember...?

Author Topic: Mr. Card, do you remember...?
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

- posted      Profile for AutumnFire   Email AutumnFire         Edit/Delete Post 
A man named John Lavin? He's in his sixties...ish now, and he's my English teacher.

He noticed me reading "Shadow of the Giant" recently in class (I know, for shame, for shame, [Big Grin] ) and when I mentioned the name of the author, he recalled working with you as a graduate student at Notredame.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
You're so lucky!!!

If I ever see Him, I'd faint. My sci-fi teacher once saw him in 2003. (He said, Mr Card, that you're a "little" over-sympathetic regarding Israel, praising Moshe Dayyan, when - in fact - being a Mormon. I reckon you got carried away, just like I am.)

Wow. Wow!

(Mr Card, I'm not a serious fan of yours, just a very sympathetic person regarding anything to do with your genius.)

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not believe that if I saw it I'd faint, an enormous waste of such an only occasion!!!!, I cannot imagine that I would do, but before I could'nt imagine either speaking with him and now from here I can do it.
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, if you say so.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

- posted      Profile for AutumnFire   Email AutumnFire         Edit/Delete Post 
O.o ? Wow...
Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Come on. This is just silly. No fainting.

If I saw your English teacher, I'd no doubt remember him; but I'm terrible with names, and it's been 23 years. I have kept in touch with one fellow English grad student from that time, and one of my professors from NDU, but the others have slipped into the fog of an aging memory. I wish it weren't so; I wish I had a better memory. I'm glad that HE has a better one!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

Actually, Mr. Lavin is the victim of an aging memory as well (three times in as many weeks I have heard the same story about his daughter who works for Disney), but his memory was jogged by one of his previous students (and a friend of mine) who is both a fan of your fiction and finds himself remarkably attuned to your political beliefs (more so than I do, I must say). That student had a habbit of quoting your political essays in his essays for class, and Mr. Lavin remembered your name.

[ April 12, 2005, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: AutumnFire ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.