FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Game

Author Topic: The Game
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
This is something that I take thinking a lot of time. With the movie Ender will come os sure a game of the book, but I am afraid that they don't do it well. It should be like the games of the school of battle, that you give orders to one and change? Or seeing all simultaneously?.

And besides Ender's history, I believe that they should put also a free game, where YOU were progressing in the battle school. And some minigame like the game of fantasy. What do you think?

Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny
Member # 7404

- posted      Profile for Danny   Email Danny         Edit/Delete Post 
The fantasy game would be very tough to duplicate, especially since its based on technology that hasn't been created yet! And if I remember correctly (haven't read EG in years), it was a completely different game for each player, crafted around individual personalities, not just the choices they made in the game. Is this correct? If that's the case, then I can easilyimagine half of the game being committed to "building your character." Only difference would be the game doesn't know who you actually are, so I suppose you could go back and create multiple personalities, taking completely different paths through the game.

And of course, the real catch is creating a game with no ending.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
Normally it was the same and later it was verifying the personality of the boy with this information, though in cases like that of Ender it was adapting.

It would be enough to create one with many possibilities, and when already they were not necessary to leave it any more to live simply in any place.

Though Ender WON IT

Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Putting the Fantasy Game in the movie would be fun - but time-consuming, for relatively little payoff. It isn't needed for the storyline.

Creating the Fantasy Game for players to actually play - it's just too big. By implication, it infinitely responds to you and creates itself to pursue your interests.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean that's not yet possible?

What a disappointment. [Razz]

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly it is.

We call it Hatrack.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
so wait rivka, all of you are computer generated to amuse me? i suppose this is like when jane reveals herself to ender or something [Razz]
Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Nonononono!

You are all here to amuse ME! Especially all you newbies. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
I always wondered how interaction with your environment worked. If you can kick a glass over, can you kick anything over? Is there a "use" button or a "scoop out eyeball" button? And if the controls are limited, is it so inconcievable for someone other than Ender to get past the giant somehow?
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avicus
Member # 7652

- posted      Profile for Avicus   Email Avicus         Edit/Delete Post 
The closest game I've seen so far is Homeworld, in fact I'm surprised that Mr. Card hasn't played that instead of Civilization II. Doesn't make any sense. It's almost exactly like the battles against the buggers x,y,z plane and all.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

- posted      Profile for Rose the ____   Email Rose the ____         Edit/Delete Post 
as for the fantasy game, a game that evolves is already being worked on by - oh, shoot. can't remember the name of the dude what does the Sim series [Frown] . anyway, - I'll try to find the links but it was this small news story about how he'd gotten together a small team of programmers to experiment on making some games in a short amount of time - games that would depend on user creativity and spark user-creativity...
basically they built a game that was the mother of all god games. you create a creature, then from that creature create a species, then a town, then a civilization, then a world, then you conquer a solar system, then the galaxy. yeah - point is that this year a small group of programmers proved you could make a game that would grow so much from almost nothing. I really didn't explain it well, I'll try to find the link.

so I think the fantasy game could work - if it relied on user input across the net, and was something of an MMOG.

oh, also there's that game out there called Second Life, which becomes whatever kind of game the users want it to be. nah, we're not far from the fantasy game.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

- posted      Profile for Rose the ____   Email Rose the ____         Edit/Delete Post 
Civilization II was actually a good fit for a campaign against an alien race. for individual battles Homeworld might be a closer fit, but for the overall sense of a war, one might want a mix of the two. certainly something that would involve more detail and attention to ship systems than HW and HW2 offered. the Nexus: Jupiter Incident comes to mind...
Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

my existence may amuse, but I won't assume that's my purpose. sorry Rivka.
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
this topic reminds me of a DOS style game that was on a website- ansible.net or something similar- where you could actually participate in a battle school. Good stuff. They actaully had a Fantasy Game, but it was obviously not to Senior OSC's descriptions as how it works in EG. It still gave a pretty accurate portrayal of the Fantasy Game, all that was in the book, plus a lot more. Oh, well. I can't find it now...

~Aphotic (x12)

Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Angst] Oh dear. Incipient rebellion.

*flees*

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
nah, we're not far from the fantasy game.
Lemme quote OSC

quote:
Creating the Fantasy Game for players to actually play - it's just too big. By implication, it infinitely responds to you and creates itself to pursue your interests.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it would be an interesting experiment to run, but it doesn't have to be connected in anyway besides idea to Card's idea.

Perhaps if you took a short personality test before playing it, then it adapts to the choices you make....

but it would be conceptually infinitely big, so it couldn't actually achieve its ideal completed state, it would be interesting to see how close you can come and what it does with some premises from a persons psyche and a little fuzzy logic.

Course, you gotta find someone else to write it, I just post things on forums.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember the fantasy game was made for children. IN a world with shooting, racing, and indepth stratategy games would any of us really be happy playing a game where we had to be a mouse running from a cat or a fish, etc. It could be fun but I think it might be a little to children oriented if it was the same game from EG. Now if you made a more older person version... Not neccessarily violent, just older it would be cool. NOw if only it where possible.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

I'm going to retract my earlier idea. or clarify it maybe. we're probably a long ways away from having a game intelligent enough to - on it's own, react to the psychology of a person. What I don't think we're far from is a multiplayer environment that reacts to the interests of the users, that uses this -user created content- to keep growing and reacting to the users. hmm. yeah, it's quite a step behind a game that reacts one on one, and on it's own... <sigh>. ah well.
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
You could make it sort of like one of the Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale series-- Where you set your character or role your character's stats(even maybe hidden stats?) and the game adapts around the choices you make. Of course it would have a limited number and be unable to adapt as well but even in those series, you could have love interests that switch around depending on choices, you could mess around with items and background things that had nothing to do with the actual storyline... a similar concept could be possible, just highly unlikely.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnFire
Member # 7320

- posted      Profile for AutumnFire   Email AutumnFire         Edit/Delete Post 
Verai, this has always been one of the things that bugs me about EG, that there is no possible system of controls that could be implemented with a child sitting at a desk save a telepathic one. The system of controls would show kids what they could do while at the same time setting absolute limits on the possiblilities. The only way it would work is if there were an assortment of general "use" buttons in addition to some basic movement controls, unfortunately, that provides so few options that I'm sure some kid would have tried running up to the giant and pressing every possible "use" button just out of sheer frustraton. At least, that's what I'd do. [Big Grin]
Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
The controls of the fantasy game annoyed me as well. In ES, I think we have a scene with Shen:
quote:
Shen seemed to be responding; he typed in a few words.
But in EG, all of Ender's playing is told as if he were physically performing it:
quote:
He jumped at the Giant's face, clambered up his lip and nose, and began to dig in the Giant's eye.
So it does make you wonder what kind of commands are available. For instance, does one type in "dig" or "jump"? But if one types in "run", which direction would the player go--how is that controlled? It would almost have to be telepathic.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Rose, the game you're thinking of is Spore, by Will Wright.

[ April 12, 2005, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Puppy ]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.K. Slyder
Member # 7416

- posted      Profile for K.K. Slyder   Email K.K. Slyder         Edit/Delete Post 
Rose, the guy you're thinking of is Will Wright. The game is called "Spore" and its ultimately greater technologically than it is in terms of gameplay. Will Wright demonstrated it at a conference, including where he could make his own mammal (its a story of evolution from a tiny 1 celled bacteria, to a species, cant remember if they have to be mammals, that can conquer the galaxy) and you can do whatever you want with the characters basically. For instance- he put three legs on his creature, and the game code figures out how that creature would walk. Will said that for the Sims (or Sims 2, cant remember which one) required 17,000+ animations to be pre-made by animators. This game wouldn't require that- in fact the game would figure out how to deal with any given situation.

Take a look: Game Spot Reviews Spore

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

<glee!> thanks for the link KK :-D.

oy, this was a terrible choice of names, wasn't it. I might be the only straight male in upstate NY wierd enough to pick a name like Rose. <sigh> - well, there. I've confirmed it, I'm a bigot. and I write too much like I'm 'lj'ing.

anyway - that's what I was trying to say the fantasy game would be like. it would figure out the animations from a bit of user input, on the fly.

which makes me think a working fantasy game would go like those classic text input adventure games, only a lot more complicated, with the program having an almost human understanding of language and concequences. that kind of things probably at least 10 years away for high end home pcs though. at least according to the futurist who wrote The Age of Spiritual Machines...

DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, The game sounds a lot like the text based games of old, except with Graphics.
If anyone has ever played MUDs before www.mudconnector.com There even was a battle school MUD. Completely text based but you have nearly an infinite amount of abilities and descriptions you can do, so long as the programmers are creative enough, or they log your inputs and create from them if your command doesn't do anything the first time, it could the second. This could be the basis for a mind game.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Mr. Card overlooking/approving the script for the movie, or the way certin sequences are played out?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
It's vanishingly rare in Hollywood for the author to have final approval over such things. Usually, the powers that be feel like they are doing charity just by letting the author sit at the table [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
And by the way, the word you're looking for is "overseeing". If there's anyone doing any "overlooking" right now, it's probably Warner Bros [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Death to Hollywood! *Waves banners, incites oppressed workers to revolt*
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Spore is going to be one of the best games ever.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

KoM, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't incite rebellions within a few miles of where I live.

Particularly this week. How's mid-May? It would work much better for me.

Rose the ____
Member # 7791

oh dear. there - Was - a battleschool MUD? you mean it is no longer around? and we only now hear about it? <whimper>
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

yay! it still exists. and it's called ansible. neato.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.