FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » From One LDS to Another (Card Please Take Glance)

Author Topic: From One LDS to Another (Card Please Take Glance)
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a huge fan of yours and I would just like to have said that I talked to you.
Some Backround on me :
I received Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind on my 8th birthday. I read them and loved them for what they were. I picked up The Shadow series and have read them numerous times. Once A year (and sometimes more ) i would reread Enders Game and each time find something new. I turned 15 a couple of months ago and decided to reread all the Ender series. Having only read Speaker-Children of the Mind when I was eight, i didn't realize what was truly their. I am almost done reading Children of the Mind and I just love it. My Enders Game tally just hit 17 reads through...

I have been raised in the LDS faith my entire life, and love everything about the gospel...
After rereading Xenocide, I stumbled upon a quote that got me thinking
"Real Gods would want to teach you how to be just like them..."
My seminary Teacher, (who btw says he knew you in college Roger Merill) taught us that if we achieved the celestial kingdom we would become "like unto god"
I was just curious if that was a deliberate Mormon "infusion" if you will....

Thank you for listening and taking time for a response.. Anything would be awesome
Kellen Laker

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JHamilton
Member # 7683

- posted      Profile for JHamilton   Email JHamilton         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good point about a subtle "LDS doctrine infusion" by OSC. If you look through Speaker, Xenocide, and Children, you'll find a little more. It's fairly subtle and you have to look really hard.

I don't think it's a deliberate infusion by OSC. I think, rather, that it is a side effect of his being raised within the realm of LDS doctrine. It is a natural part of a person's worldview and will come out eventually, even if the person is not trying to.

Just an opinion.

--Joshua

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
I also think (nearly a threadjack) that a lot of people overlook the fact that above all Christian religions, LDS has the most similarities to other world religions and forms of mysticism. If you're going to include mysticism in your novels, chances are it's going to read a lot like LDS.

Then there's always the writers axiom, "write what you know."

Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JHamilton
Member # 7683

- posted      Profile for JHamilton   Email JHamilton         Edit/Delete Post 
Signine,

I don't know if "mysticism" is an accurate comparison to the LDS faith. But, having grown up in the middle of the Bible Belt (south Louisiana) as a Mormon, I'm willing to admit I'm a little sensitive on the subject. [Smile]

But, I do agree that it has more similarities to, say, Islam, than does Protestantism or Catholicism. The abstinence from alcohol, the 5 daily prayers, the roles of family members, etc. are all common ground with Islam. It has been my experience with many Muslims that, amongst all Christians, they find us a little more approachable.

That said, I don't think that either of the Ender branches (Speaker for the Dead & the Shadow Quartet) has much in the way of mysticism. They largely read like straight science fiction. Even the subjects of the pequininos trees and the auias are handled in a very "sci fi" kind of way. I'd certainly say that they are more sci fi than, say, Star War. While I love the Star Wars series, one has to admit that it's more fantasy than science fiction.

Just an opinion [Smile]

--Joshua

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Kellen: It was more like a wink to Mormon readers. It IS what the character would have said. But I knew Mormon readers would see an extra layer of irony.

LIKE God, though. As in the New Testament verse, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your father in heaven is perfect." so it should also mean something to non-Mormons who know their Bible.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw a Tree of Life reference... In Children of the Mind..
Nice
Thanks for the reply Card

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to a medieval history course on tape 3 or 4 years ago (I was homeschooled) and I remember thinking that the mystics sounded a lot like Joseph Smith. But the word "mystic" doesn't carry very strong "truthfull" conotations nowadays, does it?
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even the subjects of the pequininos trees and the auias are handled in a very "sci fi" kind of way.
Actually, I find those elements the most fascinating LDS-influenced concepts in all of Card's work. I didn't even realize the significance of them until, well, a short while after I became LDS and thought about it in hindsight.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macnewbold
Member # 7660

- posted      Profile for macnewbold   Email macnewbold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also LDS. If you want to see something _really_ cool, read the Homecoming Series (Memory of Earth, Call of Earth, etc.) The whole series is one giant "wink" at LDS readers. I started reading it without knowing what to expect, and I got so excited about it that I couldn't put the books down. They are amazing books, and they bring a lot of new insights to some very familiar themes.

OSC's other religious historical fiction works are also good. Stone Tables, and the Women of Genesis, are very enjoybale too, though they're not really sci-fi like the Homecoming series is.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Taalcon:

I agree. And I'd say a similar thing about what Alvin does at the end of _Prentice Alvin_.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Just one more thing that creates a similarity throughout his books that makes his fans feel like they are reading true OSC.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Zal: Most definitely.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.