FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » India and Chine to form partnership

Author Topic: India and Chine to form partnership
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
India, China agree to form partnership

India and China, the world's two most populous countries, agreed on Monday to create a "strategic partnership" in an effort to end their longstanding border dispute and boost trade and economic cooperation.

The agreement signaled a significant shift in relations between the two Asian giants after decades of mutual distrust and suspicion.

========================

I read this and my very first thought, before anything else, was, "Alai and Hot Soup got together! Cool!"

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
my first thought was that Hot Soup and Virlomi got together...

not to be nit-picky, though.

Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
My very first thought is more like "oh crap."
Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
"oh crap" indeed. but arent we on decent terms with them? god i hope so.
Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this ends well...
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avicus
Member # 7652

- posted      Profile for Avicus   Email Avicus         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see how this turns out. India I didn't think would be as much as a customer as China I think would want (assuming this is really about economics). It will definately help China I think in being able to increase the market share of it's companies. Should be interesting.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Phase one of World Domination: Complete.

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avicus
Member # 7652

- posted      Profile for Avicus   Email Avicus         Edit/Delete Post 
Phase one: Underpants
Phase two: ?
Phase Three: Profit

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JHamilton
Member # 7683

- posted      Profile for JHamilton   Email JHamilton         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice South Park reference; don't know if anyone else got it. [Smile]

On a more serious note, it is interesting about China and India. Especially given that China is the leader of the SCO (Shanghai Cooperative Organization), a multinational organization that includes China, Russia, Turkestan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhistan, and most of the other "stans".

India, on the other hand, is the leader of SAARC, the South Asia Association for Regional Cooperation. It includes south asian countries such as India, Nepal, Tibet, Sri Lanka, etc.

These organizations were founded as a potential counter to ASEAN, the Association of South East Asian Nations (Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, etc.). ASEAN is much more powerful, economically. SCO has the largest population of any multinatinoal organization. SAARC isn't too far behind.

So, an alliance between China and India could eventually lead to an alliance between SCO and SAARC. While these organization (and ASEAN) are primarily economic in nature, there has been some talk about mutual defense treaties and military cooperation.

This ought to be interesting....

--Joshua

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The leaders of the two countries have therefore agreed to establish an India-China strategic and cooperative partnership for peace and prosperity," the statement said.
See - there's none of this taking over of the world. You can always trust statements.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Something to keep in mind about this strategic partnership is that neither country has the economic means to be a heavy importer of the others goods. Look for collusion between government sponsored companies that export to Europe and the U.S.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
India is on more freindly terms with America than China isn't it? If so this could help smooth things over between America and China.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
China is actually surrounding India for economic barriers and this takes a step further for China to truly economically conquer all of southeast asia.
(wow that sounded a lot harsher then I meant it to sound)
China and Pakistan have just completed negotiations on re-establishing the chinese port at Gwadar and opening up a naval base there, where China is planning to begin building a deep port and expand its navy.
This should be a large concern as this port allows China major access to around 30% of the U.S.'s oil trade in the region and some 45% of oil trade between the middle east and the South-East Asia.
While SOC and SAARC may ally for this, you are going to see China take huge advances towards complete economic domination of the region in the next 5 years.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.