FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Treason and A Planet Called Treason

Author Topic: Treason and A Planet Called Treason
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found a copy of A Planet Called Treason . What I am wondering is the difference between Treason and a planet called treason.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
A Planet Called Treason was the original novel. OSC reworked it and added a bunch of stuff which then became Treason.

In short. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to rewrite the novel completely when they told me they were bringing out a new edition (Planet was my second novel published). But they wouldn't give me the time to do it. I wanted to change it from first person to third (I had learned enough about writing in the interim to know that third is a FAR more versatile and immediate voice); instead, I rewrote the beginning to make it much, much stronger, and then went through the book removing some of my early stylistic excesses (i.e., in the new version, an occasional sentence does NOT begin with a conjunction <grin>).
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
Great book, either way!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The difference is that my library has A Planet Called, while I've never found Treason anywhere accessible. Except online. And it's not high enough on my priority list to warrant paying for shipping when I have baby shoes and food to buy.

Yes, I'm completely self-centered tonight. [Wink]

[ April 23, 2005, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that there are major differences between Worthing Chronicles and Worthing Saga, enough that I read and reread both many times. I never managed to find Treason anywhere to be able to compare.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife didn't like Treason, but I did . . .

We are no longer together.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Wow.

That's odd that you guys can't find Treason, because I've never seen A Planet called Treason and I own the former. Interesting.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
This is Kent's wife. I just saw what he wrote.

We are still together. My husband is odd.

Treason is okay, I just didn't enjoy it as much as many of his other books.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.