FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New Science, Sub vocalizing as Ender does in Speaker

Author Topic: New Science, Sub vocalizing as Ender does in Speaker
Xanthus
Member # 7792

- posted      Profile for Xanthus   Email Xanthus         Edit/Delete Post 
Soon you can talk on your mobile without uttering a word

I found this while surfing the web. This kind of technology is really interesting. It brings home how Ender's Game, while being science fiction, has some sciences that are not all that far off.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
that's pretty cool
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the thing about scifi once we think of something we figure out how to do. Just like in EG where they said that once they figured out instant messaging was possible they went out and invented the ansible. Jules Verne thought up all sorts of stuff that didn't exist yet.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Subvocalizing has been around for about two decades in the military and covert community. As with all really cool technology, it takes a while for it to reach civilian hands.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Makes you wonder what else they already have? [Wink]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean like gravity manipulation, molecular destabilization weapons, and instantaneous communicators?

Oh wait, that's something else...

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K.K. Slyder
Member # 7416

- posted      Profile for K.K. Slyder   Email K.K. Slyder         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it said that military computing technology is 10 years more advanced of the private sector? I daresay that its even more than that.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty darn cool. I wonder if it'll accually be able to keep the sound of the person's voice, or if it'll make the voice sound electronic.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
If you program it, It'll probably be of your voice. If not, it will be "shocking".

And don't go talking too much about secret military technology, they migh come and find you and

Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't it said that military computing technology is 10 years more advanced of the private sector? I daresay that its even more than that.
I think ten years is plenty.

Ten years ago no one had internet in their homes. CD burners where like 1000 bucks for a 1x.
Napster wasn't even dreamed of. Portable mp3 players didn't exist. Cell phones came in big leather bags.

In ten years from now I can't even imagine the stuff we might see.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I got home internet access in 1994, and I wasn't an especially early adopter. I had to connect via a 14.4 modem, but I was online.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Think laser beams and "beam me up scotty"
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool tech link, Xanthus. Welcome to Hatrack. [Wave]
quote:
I'm skeptical of this, in general hardware and software terms. Some specific subsectors, maybe. Like cryptology, where the US government has spent billions over decades, sure, maybe even more than 10 years.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you program it, It'll probably be of your voice. If not, it will be "shocking".

And don't go talking too much about secret military technology, they migh come and find you and

[ROFL] [ROFL]

any of you notice the joke??

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.