FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Name associations

Author Topic: Name associations
Bretagne
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Bretagne   Email Bretagne         Edit/Delete Post 
I did a search on this, but I might have missed a similar thread. If that is the case, feel free to yell at me; I apologize in advance.

My question is this: do any of you have problems reading books with certain character names because they already associate that name with a different character in a different book? For example, I had a hard time with Carlotta in Phantom of the Opera, because I'd already associated that name with Sister Carlotta in Ender's Shadow.

So am I just crazy, or do other people notice this, too?

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonelywalker
Member # 7815

- posted      Profile for lonelywalker   Email lonelywalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I had already read a book as a kid which featured a character called Carlotta, who was a gypsy princess who kept doing tricks on horses, that kind of influenced my perception of Sister Carlotta!

I guess it only works with "unfamiliar" names. Although I'm sure I've read plenty of books with characters called "Peter", I didn't imagine Peter Wiggin flying around in green tights.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't imagine Peter Wiggin flying around in green tights.
I guess I was the only one, then.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that it happens mainly with unusual names. I don't imagine Peter Wiggin as a rabbit with a blue coat either.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoiler for SotG, I guess*
Everytime I read about little Ender, I couldn't help but think of The Original Ender (sounds like a restaurant..) which was quite weird, especially when Bean was changing his diaper...
It kind of doesn't count, though, seeing as that's who little Ender was named after...

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just characters: I couldn't name a child of mine "Rita" even though Kristine liked the name - because there was a mean girl named Rita in fourth grade who turned me off the name forever. There are other names that are so closely associated with someone I know that I couldn't conceive of naming a child by that name. And when I name a main character - somebody I expect to see a lot of - I make sure to give them a name I can stand.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I don't react that way, but my wife sure does. Part of me kinda assumed that it was an idiosyncracy of hers. Maybe not reacting that way is an idiosyncracy of mine.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Door
Member # 7837

- posted      Profile for Door           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is human nature to associate a name with a current, or past person, wheather real or fictional. I know that I am biased against most Chris's, Carly's and Jennifer(I know there a lot of you out there, but no i9nsult intended) When I was reading Lost Boys , Stevie's nickname was Door-man. Everytime I saw it I couldn't help but think of Neil Gamiens(sp?) Door from Neverwhere .
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bretagne
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Bretagne   Email Bretagne         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw your username (Neverwhere, that is)!

Mr. Card, you're right, it isn't just characters. I once raised some kittens who'd been dumped at the doorstep of my father's clinic (he's a vet). We named them Bobby and Sammy, but when we gave them away to a local bookstore owner, she had to change the names because Sammy was the name of some mean character on a soap opera she watched. And I will forever associate the name "Shawn" with this kid I knew in elementary school, who, we discovered, was a member of a satanic cult... [Eek!]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid
Member # 7610

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid   Email Geekazoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone who goes to my camp is acually named Andrew wiggins. enen thoe it's with an s it still always makes me think of the book
Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
In the short story, the name was Wiggins.

I like the name Stephen as a possible son's name, but Mama has an ex-boyfriend with that name, and would likely be reminded of him. I don't have that problem, since I never went out with a Stephen.

We really can't have a daughter named Bambie, though, even if that weren't an ex-girlfriend's name.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.