FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » You just keep on doing it Mr. Card . . .

Author Topic: You just keep on doing it Mr. Card . . .
DaiTenshi
Member # 7759

- posted      Profile for DaiTenshi   Email DaiTenshi         Edit/Delete Post 
You just keep on forcing me to feel . . . things. I guess I really shouldn't worship you after all Mr. Card, if you are so inconsiderate as to not provide proper warning when you're about to divulge to your readers some emotional sob story about love and romance and commitment and crap. Seriously, I didn't need to know that Bean never wrote what Peter said, and I especially didn't need to know what Petra did that should have gotten her into her own biography.

But does Mr. Card, Mr. Big-bad-super-author have any care about that??? NOoooo!!! He just keeps on doing it, doesn't he? He just keeps tantalizing us into reading his stuff, his, philosophic rhetoric, which is a hypocritical thing for me to say since I'm actually talking about it, eh?

Ok, let's get real. Mr. Card, you truly have brought me to my knees again. The allusion to Shadow of the Giant that I just made actually came close to bringing me to tears . . . but, "I AM A MAN!!!" <beats chest>. But seriously, it really did, and I just wanted to thank you for it, because it made me rethink my plans for the future.

(I really do take up after Bean in a lot of my decisions, what-with celibacy and stuff . . . ).

I find myself wondering if you're going to exploit the half-dozen cliff-hangers you've just set up, and I have to say: I feel giddy with excitement. I still plan on being a writer just like you Mr. Card, and I also still plan on meeting you in person. But for now, I'm going to have to redevelop my writing ability, since I only scored a measly 9 on my SAT writing prompt. Of course, that's just more rhetoric.

You have no idea how weird it felt to know that your idol actually made a reply to something you've written. Anyway, I wanted to know if 'Ender in Exile' is going to involve Ender meeting Bean or his kids, or something like that. I mean, it is possible. And I've also been thinking about this:

Bean's key was turned, which means that he is infinitely growing. What Volescu said, about him being sustainable in a null-gravity environment fed intravenously, I was wondering if it was possible for Bean to be immortal. Does he necessarily have to age if the gene that stops his cells from replacing themselves was turned? In that case, it wouldn't matter if his body died out, since his brain and spinal collumn keep replacing their cells, he doesn't have to die out, at least, his mind doesn't. So, you could maybe tie in Bean being attached to a computer or something, as a massive brain mass attached to a colony ship, or something like that . . .

I'm just saying this: Shadow of the Giant creates millions (exaggeration) of possibilities.

It's not that the box is sitting in a room, it's that my mind is capable of perceiving the box in a room, and myself outside it.

Gabriel

Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
My feelings exactly, on everything- from crying to wanting to write to feeling so thrilled "that your idol actually made a reply to something you've written".
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a computer-generated automatic reply:

No, Bean and Ender will not see each other in "Ender in Exile."

Orson Scott Card does not leave cliffhangers. They are more like spiders dangling over a soup pot. (See Jonathan Edwards, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.")

By opening any book by Orson Scott Card, you are agreeing in advance to a waiver of all possible lawsuits in case of excessive tears or laughter, or absence of same. You are regarded as a consenting partner in the writer-reader transaction and there is no legal recourse if for any reason you find the transaction disappointing.

Here's a kleenex.

Thank you very much for reading the books of Orson Scott Card as if they were not a bunch of manipulative lies.

This has been a computer-generated reply.

[ April 20, 2005, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This has been a computer-generated reply.

[ April 20, 2005, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

[ROFL]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaiTenshi
Member # 7759

I'm not entirely sure if he's mad at me for saying those things, or messing with my head . . . .

I guess I didn't give him my compliments on the book like I should have, did I? Well, I meant to say that it was beautiful, and I thought that the fact that it brought me to my knees was a good sign that it was 'good'.

Well, he won't see this again, as I'm sure he'll just ignore this topic now, but still, I only meant well, and wanted to poke some fun at him.

Slumbitches

Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

By opening any book by Orson Scott Card, you are agreeing in advance to a waiver of all possible lawsuits in case of excessive tears or laughter, or absence of same. You are regarded as a consenting partner in the writer-reader transaction and there is no legal recourse if for any reason you find the transaction disappointing.

Looks like Mr. Card has his lawyers out and prepared for suits, damn, guess I have to find a better way to get all my books autographed...
Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
I like OSC's manipulative lies better than the ones on tee-vee.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Manipulative lies, you mean the buggers aren't coming to kill us all? Oh, I guess I should sell back my antiaircraft guns and arizona desert property. What am I going to do with all these meal and water rations?
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I was joking. Nothing that was said offended me in any way.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Manipulative lies, toying with my emotions! I don't know if this relationship is worth it! [Cry] I'll never pick up one of your books again! [Cry]

Hey, what's this? Magic Street? Surely this time I won't fall for those stories.... (reads first 5 chapters, gets enchanted)

Oops. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaiTenshi
Member # 7759

He just keeps on doing it, DOESN'T he? You'd think he'd have the sense to cut it out, BUT LOOK AT WHAT HE JUST DID!!!!

It's ok Jenny . . . [Smile]

But CARD!! [No No] You better watch yourself . ..

Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I know.

You should have seen me reading Red Prophet.
[Angst]
[Grumble]

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hot Soup
Member # 7840

- posted      Profile for Hot Soup           Edit/Delete Post 
Real men cry during Orson Scott Card stories. I just about lost it in Ender's Shadow when Bean knows he's sending the soldiers to their death, in Shadow of the Giant at the end with Peter and Petra, and in a few of the Maps in a Mirror stories.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaiTenshi
Member # 7759

Well, I haven't read any of the Mirror stories, but I cried (the closest I could get to it) when Bean found out about Sister Carlotta, when he was reading that letter, and also when Peter was reading the letter to Petra.
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see it now. Title of his biography-
Orson Scott Card: Makes Real Men Cry

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DamianDB
Member # 7693

- posted      Profile for DamianDB   Email DamianDB         Edit/Delete Post 
I must agree. Shadow of the Giant is the first book ever to make me absolutely sob, and I have read hundreds, if not thousands of books. It was probably one of my favorite out of the shadow series, if not my favorite. Thanks Mr. Card!

now don't do it again, my roommate walked in on me sobbing through the end there and has been harassing me ever since ;p

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delusional1
Member # 7896

- posted      Profile for delusional1   Email delusional1         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm new to the site, and the OSC books for that matter. but i must say this . . . after reading both the ender and the shadow series, i think it's totally okay to worship the man!

my boyfriend was trying to get me to read both series for 2 years, but since i'm not much of a science fiction/fantasy reader, i couldn't force myself to do it. then i needed something to pass the time at work when i got stuck sitting in a chair for 8 hours without being allowed to leave the desk. these books were like an answer to my prayers.

i had just finished reading the da vinci code, and i needed something that would keep me turning pages and getting thru those long hours. from the first few chapters of ender's game i was absolutely hooked. i fell in love with everything about the books. OSC is just brilliant.

all of that being said, i must also add that i was so frustrated at the end of shadow of the giant that i told my boyfriend he now has a week to read it so i can vent. i want to know what happened to the horribly misled but psychotic randi and the baby. i kept thinking that when she went to volunteer to go offworld, that they would figure out who she was and petra would get the last baby back.

but that would have been too easy. gotta leave a way to tell their whole story. and what, may i ask, happens to bean and his babies? are they smarter than he is? can he keep up? can they start working on a way to reverse the unfortunate side effect of turning anson's key when they're 4? wouldn't they be smart enough (smarter than a lot of the scientists supposedly working on it) by then?

i totally love you Mr. Card for your incredible talent and efforts. i do, however, completely despise you for driving me so insane as well. i feel like oliver twist, all masochistic, muttering "please, sir, can i have some more?"
[Big Grin]

Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.