FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » continuity problems in shadow series

Author Topic: continuity problems in shadow series
gingerjam
Member # 7113

- posted      Profile for gingerjam   Email gingerjam         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to nit pick or anything, but reading through the series I've found some errors that unfortunatley made me disappointed and stop reading SotG for a day or so because it was an easy one to research [Smile]

I know OSC doesn't like research, but the entire world that he's created and we love and get involved in when reading the books is kinda torn down when such simple errors are made.

*MAYBE SPOILERS [Smile] *

In SotG Volescu asks how his SISTER is and is told that Beans's family is back in Greece, when in Enders Shadow there's some pretty major discussion on Bean's dad being Volescu's half brother, not his mum being Volescu's sister. In fact in SotH Bean jokes how his dad calls Volescu his 'bastard brother' to irritate his wife.

The other error that really bugged me was Bean going to Ender's parents house in Greensborough and asking if Ender Wiggin grew up there, and Theresa says yes. In Enders Game again, there's a whole bit where Valentine laments over the fact that Ender would never find them there in Greensborough since they moved after he left and in fact never went back. Finding that one was pretty sad as i always loved that really moving section of the book until i realised it was an error.

there's also a bit in ES where Bean gets dressed then a page later gets dressed again...but that's not so big a deal cos it's not contradictory in terms of existing story line...

Hopefully the Christmas at Battle School and the EG/ES linking book will be more consistent with the existing EG/ES history!

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
How interesting. Both these issues WERE researched, and there exists a version of the manuscripts in which there is no contradiction. I assumed that it was the PUBLISHED edition.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
In my version of either Shadow Puppets or Shadow of the Hegemon, Ender's mother says to bean that Ender didn't actually grow up there, and that she doesn't offer tours. That is what I recall anyway.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed the part about Volescu asking about his "sister" right away but I just chalk it up to the fact that he's crazy and trying to play with people's minds (after all she is his "sister" in law right?).
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gingerjam
Member # 7113

Hmmm... thanks catseye I can go along with Volescu trying to play with their minds i guess... and i do understand the difficulties involved in getting a book through all the stages of proof reading, my grandma just had her first book published.

I know everyone does this, but thanks OSC for the Enderverse [Smile] both my sister and I have had our copies of Enders Game "borrowed" and had to replace them...

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Please ignore my ill-hidden smile of glee at the thought that (a) by lending my books you found me new readers and (b) by lending them to people who don't return books, you ended up buying a couple more books. Man, I'm getting my cake and eating it too ...
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gingerjam
Member # 7113

no probs! I've also been buying copies for all my friends who I think should have read them by now and haven't yet... More cake points to me???
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered about the Volescu relation too, but assumed that I must have remembered it wrong... The issue of Ender's childhood home should be corrected in the paperback edition of SotH though. In fact, I know it's corrected because I have the paperback edition.

[ April 25, 2005, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.