FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC views on Muslims (SOTG spoiler)

Author Topic: OSC views on Muslims (SOTG spoiler)
JHamilton
Member # 7683

- posted      Profile for JHamilton   Email JHamilton         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished SOTG, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was another one of those "can't put it down" reads.

Page 271 has Peter making some comments about Muslims that truly struck a chord for me. It was something to the effect that the reason Muslims are having so much trouble is that "Islam never truly learned how to be a real religion". This was a reference to their refusal to tolerate non-believers, and the Koran's justification for war against non-believers.

Basically, it was saying that until they take Alai's advice and allow all people the freedom to choose not to be Muslim, even if they were once a Muslim, Islam will not be able to co-exist in the world.

I have a particular interest in this in that I was recently selected by the US Army to change MOS to become a 48G (Foreign Area Officer - Middle East). After I finish this tour in Japan I'll go to language school to study Arabic. I also have a Master's in International Relations with an emphasis on Asia, including the Middle East.

The question is, does Peter's voice reflect OSC's? And, does this view have real weight to it? I can truly see both sides of this question.

--Joshua

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedHddBoy
Member # 7561

- posted      Profile for RedHddBoy   Email RedHddBoy         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've heard it said many times, especially by OSC, that the character is not the writer. Similarly, the character's voice is not always the writer's voice.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC has mentioned that idea before in his essays on Ornery. He does believe it.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Inasmuch as it applies to Islam of the more radical kind, he's more than half right, IMNSHO.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you assume that social responsibility is one of the hallmarks of a "real" religion, and tolerance is one of the hallmarks of social responsibility, then OSC's at least half-right. And, yeah, Peter's speaking for OSC, here, based on some of Card's non-fiction essays.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.