FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Fly Molo: The Forgotten Jeesh Member

Author Topic: Fly Molo: The Forgotten Jeesh Member
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've not noticed any mention of Fly Molo except in Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. Am I not remembering correctly or did he just cease to exist?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
He's mentioned in Giant ... isn't he?
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hyperfried
Member # 7892

- posted      Profile for Hyperfried           Edit/Delete Post 
And to think that you, of all people, are the one asking. [Razz]

Though he is mentioned in some of those books, he is never really shown as anywhere near a major character. In SotG, Fly is briefly mentioned a few times, during the meeting of the Jeesh and whenever the locations of some of the Jeesh members are mentioned. I seem to recall that, in Ender's Shadow, Fly made a spectacle in which Bean's provocation led to a minor squabble. However, apart from that, he isn't mentioned very much.

Still, there's only so much you can write about. The point is, the main three Jeesh members were Petra (Because of Bean's relationship with her.), Bean and Ender. The rest of them are all mentioned, some in quite a bit more than the others (Caliph Alai and the friendship with Ender, Shen with Ender, Han Tzu as emporer, etc. etc.), but to go into detail with Fly and so many others would be a lost cause.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
This topic got me wondering about the antagonists and what happened to then when they returned home? (i.e. How would Bernard have reacted when he found out that Ender killed all the buggers?)

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
They kind of settled their differences didn't they? I mean, they were by no means best friends, but I'm pretty sure that there was no particular animosity between them when Ender left to go join Bonzo's army.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard was one of the boys with Bonzo during his fateful fight in the bathroom.

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alistair
Member # 7858

- posted      Profile for Alistair   Email Alistair         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard was present at Bonzo's last fight, but if I recall correctly he was there holding Ender's towel. He was still with Bonzo, but I always guessed that that Bernard in the scene was analogous to Saul at the stoning of Steven holding the cloaks. So I actually always expected to see Bernard redeem himself somewhere in the Shadow books. I suppose I had just misinterpreted unless Bernard is somehow going to show up on one of the colonies thousands of years in the future, which I somehow doubt.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it was interesting that certain characters had so much importance and then drop out. Major Anderson for instance dissapears after Ender's game, completely. But I would have thought to have seen him appear with Graff or Charmanjgar(SP?) at some point. Just makes you wonder what happened...
I know at some point in the mid to late 90s there was talk of OSC opening up some of his lesser characters to other authors for short stories in a compendium, any plans to pick that up with some of these chars (Bernard, Anderson, Fly?)

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Pastwatch: the Redemption of Bernard might be a possible novel!

As for Colonel Anderson (remember! he got promoted when Colonel Graff was sacked from the battle school), he became an administrator for a football league, according to the conversation at the end of Ender's Game, a quote to the effect that "after years of watching those kids fly, football is going to be like watching slugs bashing into each other." So, while administrating a football league may be fraught with politics, it's not something with terribly global implications, considering especially that the U.S. (where I assume Anderson settled), is so closed off from the rest of the world.

Just a thought!

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Its more true to life when some characters drop out of the spotlight. I don't like when two characters that happened to know eachother in an earlier book run into eachother completely out of coincidence. Its like New York has three million people and I just ran into the one person I don't like in the entire city that I haven't seen for five years. Not likely.
My point being I applaud you Mr. Card for not trying to keep characters in when it made more sense to let them go. [Hat]

[ April 26, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: 0range7Penguin ]

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
Bando,
I know remember that conversation, but honestly, could he have really sat back and run a football league during the earth conflicts? Why would a country or the Hegemony not tap him to begin training troops? Or just for his knowledge of all of the battle school brats? I just think something more would happen with him. But I also agree with orange, its good that characters were dropped... and I am even kind of questioning Shadows in Flight from what I've heard about it just because of how coincidental and seems like a kind of set up situation that is so close to improbability Bean's kids need to be on the Heart of Gold to make it work!
But I'm sure OSC will pull it off and my fears will be laid to rest when the book comes out.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're right that Anderson would come out of retirement at some point, but a possible explanation for why he did not is as follows:

Taped conversations between Graff and Anderson demonstrate numerous times where they disagreed, and Anderson even went so far as to go over Graff's head at one point and notify one of the triumvirate (Polemarch or Stragegos, not sure which) about Graff's refusal to do anything about Bonzo's plan to harm Ender. Anyone in the military will tell you that going over your CO's head is generally frowned upon. But in Anderson's case, he was also proved wrong by the fact that Ender did indeed win the war.

This friction between Graff and Anderson could POSSIBLY account for Anderson's lack of involvement with the national politics.

Mostly, I think, his status as a American civilian (retirement, remember?) would prevent his involvement. America in the Shadow series is a 'shadow' player on the world stage, and I don't see them making a bold move like training Battle School kids for their own use.

Who knows though.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Fly. I thought he was cool. I've been somewhat disappointed that he hasn't had an even somewhat minor role in the unity of Earth. Maybe he can be the leader of the colony Ender goes to in the next Ender book. His character seems somewhat unexplored.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hyperfried
Member # 7892

- posted      Profile for Hyperfried           Edit/Delete Post 
Completely so. Yeah, he was military leader in the Phillipinnes (or however you spell that dang country's name) for a while, but I recall only one email to him, which I think involved the FPE.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the Apostles disappeared from the Narrative after the beginning of Acts. the Newbie Apostle, Matthias, is named, and then we don't hear anything from him again.

Doesn't mean they didn't do important things - they just weren't a focus.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.