FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » WHAT?!

Author Topic: WHAT?!
Moonshine
Member # 7893

- posted      Profile for Moonshine   Email Moonshine         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I've recently discovered this side of the writing forum...which, I must admit, is nice. I read a few places where Orson Scott Card wrote back to people. Does he really? Is it he?
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas in April! Yes he does condescend to speak with us, though who knows when he will get back to doing other things again? Anyway, hopefully it isn't today.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
No, actually it's a crazed fan who created this site and only thinks that he is OSC. All of us are just humoring him.
j/k of course. Tis him. Tis him. [Big Grin]

edit
dang, guess I took too long figuring out what to say, and now I'm not first. Thanks alot first poster intiative person. [Grumble]

second edit
aparantley I can;t tipe nither

[ April 25, 2005, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Mr_Megalomaniac ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
If you call it "condescending" again, I'll stop.

Which is exactly your evil plan, I know it.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
*chuckles*

Mr Card is ALOT more active in recent weeks on Hatrack then in previous months thoughI wonder if he is using it as a form of procrastination to distract him from writing the next Ender's Game books.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
He's doing it cause he <3's his fans [Big Grin] [Smile]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
y'know it took me 2 minutes to figure out that <3 formed a hearts.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

Dude...this is soooooo beyond cool. Although I s'pose it's a bit strange when all that a 16 year old girl wants in life is to read and write and then get uber excited about Orson Scott Card.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
It took me to read your post Sid to figure that one out! and I work in IT!! Where's that cup of coffee when you need it?
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'm sort of sad that 'condescend' no longer means what it meant when Jane Austen wrote it.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delusional1
Member # 7896

- posted      Profile for delusional1   Email delusional1         Edit/Delete Post 
i think it's very admirable that Mr. Card takes time to communicate with the people who admire him so much . . . of course we do help support him [Smile]

anyway, i think he is ubersmart for realizing that getting to know your audience is the best way to make sure you keep their interest and keep them coming back for more. unfortunately, once most people reach a certain status, they forget that they were once the ones curled up with a book that might as well be glued to their hand while wishing they could pick the brain of such a fabulous mind.

wait, is that just me who feels that way??? oh well, i admit it. of my top 5 people, dead or alive, who i would like to have an in depth conversation with, OSC is definitely at the top.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiggin105
Member # 7897

- posted      Profile for wiggin105   Email wiggin105         Edit/Delete Post 
At the top? Maybe 4 or 5, but the top? what about Newton or Plato or Einstein or even Jesus? don't get me wrong, I think OSC is a great author, but I don't think I’d put him a my #1 on my top 5 list of people I’d like to talk to.

OSC, Plato, Einstein, Newton, Jesus, and me (the one with a balloon)
[Party]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiggin105
Member # 7897

ouch

and I, not me.

and i'm posting on an author's website...

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delusional1
Member # 7896

- posted      Profile for delusional1   Email delusional1         Edit/Delete Post 
let me address the grammatical error first. i know, trust me i know. i had to edit my first entry on the "ponderings" post after the fact because i had mistyped one word and used another incorrectly.

second, i am not interested in the theoretical ideas of how the universe works, so no plato or einstein. i don't believe in jesus as the messiah, so no jesus, either.

my interests lie in discussing the thoughts of a mind that can so clearly communicate a world he sees in his own head and raise such questions and debates on morality and human nature, without all the scientific explanation BS.

call me crazy, but that's what i dig. [Smile]

Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delusional1
Member # 7896

and, actually, in the context of what your sentence would have been had you made it full length and had the complete intent, me would have been correct i believe.
wiggin105
Member # 7897

in reply to all that you typed: ok, i respect that
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no verb to show what the case of that long noun phrase is. If all that is the subject, then it's "I". If it's the object, it's "me".

"OSC, Plato, Einstein, Newton, Jesus, and I (the one with a balloon) are all dancing."

"Come join the party with OSC, Plato, Einstein, Newton, Jesus, and me (the one with a balloon)."

For my part, I have no particular interest in a conversation with Plato, Einstein, or Newton. Socrates, perhaps. I don't believe in Christ as the Messiah either, but I do believe that Jesus of Nazareth existed and was an important philosopher. So that would be interesting. I'd also really like to have a conversation with Desmond Morris.

So here's my own party. It consists of OSC, Desmond Morris, Jesus of Nazareth, Marcus Aurelius, Isaac Asimov, and me (the one with a balloon).

[Party]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bored sooo... I'm gonna throw a party too!

[Cry]

Nobdoy came...

Though it would have been cool to "party" with: OSC, Dante Alighieri, Hayao Miyazaki, (say what you will,) and ol' Leonardy, (not the turtle,) and Leonardo, (yes the turtle.) Though I don't know how many of these people discussed are much into partying. Eh, I'm sure Mr. Card is a party-animal. [Smile]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Uber?

[Dont Know]

I'd pick Jesus. And I'd give him a hug. *awww*

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delusional1
Member # 7896

uber as in extremely. i'm sorry, i'm used to my friends who use the term all the time.
Moonshine
Member # 7893

I use that word too. It's german for super...I think.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it means "over". But yeah, in context, it's the same basic thing.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.