FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender's cagematch - Game vs Shadow, Speaker series vs Shadow series

Author Topic: Ender's cagematch - Game vs Shadow, Speaker series vs Shadow series
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was wondering how these rank for people. Yeah, I guess that's it.

I liked Ender's Shadow even more than Ender's Game, which is saying a lot. It'd be close, but ES would win the opening bout.

On the other hand, I enjoyed the Speaker series more than the Shadow one. No contest on that one.

[ April 25, 2005, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiggin105
Member # 7897

- posted      Profile for wiggin105   Email wiggin105         Edit/Delete Post 
to be honest, i didn't like the whole "aiua" thing. too fantisy for a sci-fi book in my eyes, but i think it would be a great way for Bean and his kids to be saved. Just go Outside and think of a new body that isn't 14ft tall (Bean has been flying for 3000 years) and he is cured.

THIS IS A GOLDEN IDEA OSC ^

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
wigs,
I'm not sure you got the intended point of this exercise. It's essentially a poll. I was really hoping that people wouldn't be throwing criticisms in with their votes, but you suprised me by skipping the voting altogether and going right to the criticism. I'm not sure whether to salute you or give you an e-wedgie.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Considering EG is still my favorite book period. I say it beats out ES considerably.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
*watches Babba Yaga come out and eat them all*
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
EG is a better book but shadow is a better series in my opinion.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what post it was in, but I think Mr. Card already stated that he didn't intend to "pull a rabbit out of the hat" again to solve Bean's issue.

I mean, "Outside" already directly solved the Descolada, the Godspoken of Path, Miro's disabilities, and indirectly saved Jane, assisted Peter and Wang-Mu in preventing Lusitania's destruction, and is providing transportation to the Descaladores (sp?) planets.

It'd be too easy and boring to have Jane snap her figurative fingers and make everything better.

Personally, I can't wait to see what Mr. Card is GOING to do, because if there's one thing we can count on, it's that it's sure to be an unexpected and fresh twist.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meshugener
Member # 7601

- posted      Profile for Meshugener   Email Meshugener         Edit/Delete Post 
reading are fun to do!

but yeah, i like EG and the speaker series the most. Although, i must admit, Bean kicks some major tuchus.

Posts: 93 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjmelberg
Member # 7099

- posted      Profile for jjmelberg   Email jjmelberg         Edit/Delete Post 
in order of most to "not as most" favorite:
speaker
EG
xenocide
CotM
then all the shadow books in no particular order.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmine
Member # 7370

- posted      Profile for Jasmine   Email Jasmine         Edit/Delete Post 
I like EG better than ES just because there's more battling, guns, and all that. but i like the shadow series better than the ender series because the whole Outside and Inside thing, and the descolada was a confusing for a while. plus i like war/politics better than science
Posts: 146 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hyperfried
Member # 7892

- posted      Profile for Hyperfried           Edit/Delete Post 
Series-wise... Shadow series. Though I really, really loved some of the concepts from the Ender series, there were just so many long stretches of virtual nothingness. The Shadow series is somewhat action-packed, and makes some very bold predictions about the future. I love seeing how they say it's going to turn out in a century or two from now.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
For me, its a tie. I like the Ender series because of Speaker and EG. But I like the Shadow series for ES and Hegemon. So its a tie. I like all of the books.....
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the characters in the Shadow half more, but the Speaker side has much more intriguing ideas.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kratos
Member # 7859

- posted      Profile for Kratos   Email Kratos         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Ender's Game vs Ender's Shadow, it'd be a definite win for Ender's Game, like most people have said

As for the Speaker and Shadow series, both have their pros and cons, and I enjoyed them both but with different reasons. The Speaker series, to me, was a lot more powerful. After reading the books, you'd be left in awe. Simply put, it effected me a lot more than the Shadow series. But, as hyperfried said, there were some parts of "nothingness" that slowed the story down.

As for the Shadow series, it was a lot more fasted paced for me. You could feel the tension in the book. It never got boring. But like I said, it didn't give me the same effect after reading it that the Speaker series did. I mean, they were still amazing, but they were more of "just" stories. For me, Speaker, Xenocide, and Cotm were epics which seemed much more complete.

So, with that, I'd have to say the Speaker series is better. But it really does depend on what you are in the mood to read at the time.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Agnes Bean
Member # 7614

- posted      Profile for Agnes Bean   Email Agnes Bean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
like the characters in the Shadow half more, but the Speaker side has much more intriguing ideas.
I agree completely (not that there weren't some amazing characters in the Speaker series). So really, it depends on what sort of mood I'm in...do I want character driven, or idea driven?

As for EG v. ES, I change my opinion on this constantly. Whichever one I've read most recently is my current favorite, which means EG wins, for now.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

- posted      Profile for Carl Conrad Coreander   Email Carl Conrad Coreander         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game > Ender's Shadow

Speaker Series > Shadow Series

No contest for me. [Cool]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Enders Game > Enders Shadow
Speaker series > Shadow series

Same as Carl [Big Grin]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
EG and E.S overcoat (they are the same history, though certainly I prefer EG), but between Speaker series and Shadow series I choose Speaker. The whole science of the instantaneous trip, I liked it indeed.
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
E.G. and Speaker
Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geekazoid
Member # 7610

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid   Email Geekazoid         Edit/Delete Post 
EG would go at the top
Then ES

then the other ones would fight for the next spot till Cotm comes with the DR and blows all the other books to smitherines whats left is

SXCotftSSDPSototHG

and then god tries to read it and faints from a massive headache reading the title.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game is OK (the twist is great, but the rest is just ok, imo. Don't care much for young Ender). Its my least favorite of the Ender/Shadow books.

My favorite is definitly Speaker For the Dead and then Xenocide.

And I like Ender's Shadow alot too. Oh and Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow Puppets are really good books. Haven't had the chance to read Shadow of the Giant yet. *sigh* I really want to though!

Oh and Children of Mind is my second least favorite of the books.

So its definitly Speaker, Xenocide, and then the Shadow books (especially Ender's Shadow, but I like the other two alot too).

Though, I admit, I do like some of Ender's Game and some of Children of Mind.

DF2506
" Can't wait to read Shadow of the Giant!! "

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.