FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » title book that ties Ender/Shadow books

Author Topic: title book that ties Ender/Shadow books
wiggin105
Member # 7897

- posted      Profile for wiggin105   Email wiggin105         Edit/Delete Post 
This title is for the book that takes place AFTER Children of the Mind, and thus the new topic.

"Shadow of the Mind"

drasticly simple, but it has a meaning.

as the ansible network is brought back online and Jane returns some of herself to it, she finds out that a few of the planets that are around the descolada homeworld were discovered by Bean and his children. Of course, these planets were far from the homeworld, but close enough for Jane to focus some telascopes towards them and narrow down the search. when see started looking for the homeworld, she had no idea that the planets around it were discovered by a dead man, but now she does and takes it apon herself to save Bean and his kids (go Outside and make new, normal bodies).

When Bean comes back with a new body, who does he find but Peter. Bean must again become the shadow of another man and join Peter in a battle for peace. The descolada creators have spread to new worlds and are now engaged in an all out biological war with the new 3 race Starways Congress.

dude, Mr. Card, if you don't want to write this, i so will. [Wave]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
No, you so won't, because if you did, I so would sue <grin>.

But that's a good title.

I'm pretty well pleased with my own title for that book, however: Shadows in Flight.

Partly because the last thing my publisher wants to do is remind people of my LEAST-selling Ender book <grin>.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean they won't plaster "The long awaited sequel to Children of the Mind!" in big bold letters across the cover? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
More like they would plaster "THE THRILLING CONCLUSION TO THE ENDER SAGA!" That one has Ender in it, and adding in Bean would be too many words.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
"THE MOST COMPELLING AND THRILLING FINAL CONCLUTION TO THE ENDER AKA ANDREW WIGGIN AND BEAN AKA JULIAN DELPHINKI ENDERVERSE SAGA" to many words? heh-heh
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mansa
Member # 7834

- posted      Profile for Mansa           Edit/Delete Post 
I have multiple copies of Children of the Mind. My freinds stole a couple so i needed more [Big Grin]

but anyways I like the title:

Children of the Giant

I think that Bean should be dead or should die very early in the book. With the focus on his children Ender Bella and Carlorta (I think those are the names).

EDIT: BTW Hello everyone, I have been a lurker for a while but this is my first post.

[ April 26, 2005, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Mansa ]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiggin105
Member # 7897

TO OSC:

Ha-ha. I am glad that you are writing a fifth book (as in conclusion and thus fifth for both the Shadow and Ender series (unless you write the pre Speaker book first)). I’m sure that the book is going to be a lot better when you write it than if I would. [Smile] I’m new here and so I haven't read a lot of your posts so I just found out about your new Ender/Bean projects. I also just found out about your lack of fun when you write now. I hope that you don't write these books just cause a few sci-fi hungry no-lifers like me keep asking you to. I’ve never met you, but I still don't want you to do something you dislike just for my enjoyment. How monstrous would that make me? So I ask you to please try and find enjoyment out of the work you do, because it will probably translate into a better book.

By the way, you shouldn’t care if Children of the Mind wasn't well received. Although I am a fan, I had to read it a few times before I got over how fantasy sounding it was. I expected more of a sci-fi feel. Once I got over that, though, I thought it was great. I hope that you don’t try to create a sequel that you don’t like just to make people/publishers happy (it is so far in the series that I don’t think it will attract a large new audience anyhow. Those who liked the Ender series will by it; those who disliked Children of the Mind won’t).

Oh, and don't worry. I don't have the time or the creativity to write a novel (me writing > [Wall Bash] ). Even if I did, I would never steal your characters.
At least, not without permission.

p.s. don't type <grin> ( [No No] ), use Graemlins. they are so cool!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiggin105
Member # 7897

error correction:

Those who liked the Ender series will BUY it; those who disliked Children of the Mind won’t).

BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
It's weird, cause most people I've talked to (not on this board, but in person) who have read all the Ender books like COTM the best, myself included.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved COTM. It is my favorite Speaker book. In fact when ever I re-read the Speaker books I always startboff in the middle of Xenocide, at the part when young Val and Peter are born. Then again I'm weird like that. I loved reading about the further adventures of Peter. I'm happy his story continues.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I also rate COTM as one of my favorites. The only thing that kept it from being the favorite was the ending that just leaves you hanging with unresolved plots. Now that there's going to be a sequel, there may be room for COTM at the top of my list.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the wierd one who still likes EG best. The others come in close though. [Smile]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
Children of the mind was not successful of the previous books, but personally it seems to me be very good. The whole theory of the instantaneous trip (that with a bit more might serve even to travel in the time), the aiuas and the planet of the descolada is not solved completely up to this book. Certainly, information is absent and I wait for the following book, but I do not deal for that the book or it was received well. Maybe the whole Peter's history was a bit heavy, but one saw rewarded.
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Heath
Member # 7908

- posted      Profile for Laura Heath   Email Laura Heath         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I liked "Children of the Mind" best of the Ender books, too. I can't wait for a connection between the books about Bean and those about Ender!!!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

- posted      Profile for Moonshine   Email Moonshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Children of the Mind confused me...granted I read it at the age of eleven. I only read it twice and the third time I tried I got confused...perhaps I should try again...which means, I gotta buy another book with my small earnings from working at Magic Mountain.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think a better tagline on the book would be "OMG NEW ENDER LOL."

Just because I would probably fall laughing into hysterics when I saw it.

Perhaps I should just write a short book about internet chat geeks and call it "OMG BOOK LOL"

Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Could just go with "Another Card Book."

I'm at the point now where I'm ready to have Amazon automatically deduct the price of a Card book from my bank account and send it to me when it becomes available. Saves time all around, really.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.