FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC: Time period of Shadow series

Author Topic: OSC: Time period of Shadow series
Hyperfried
Member # 7892

- posted      Profile for Hyperfried           Edit/Delete Post 
It's quite obvious, to everyone, that Ender's Game and the Shadow series (The ones in the sort of "present" to begin the series) are in the future. "Desks" for computers, colonizing saturn, etc. etc. etc., it's pretty obvious that we've got advanced stuff.

The question is: How far into the future are we talking?

I seem to recall, though I can't find the page, and I'm not even sure if it's this exact book, a teeny tiny mention of when this might take place. I'm about 95% sure that, somewhere in the second half of Shadow Puppets, there is a mention by someone (I believe it's either Bean or Alai, don't take my word for it) that the American Civil War was about 300 years "ago". If I am right about this (and, though I think I am, don't quote me), then Ender's Game and the Shadow series should be set somewhere around the year 2150-2160, give or take about half a century.

I would really appreciate it if...

A) Someone would look for this, and try to prove me justify this. (At the moment, I've got a good amount of homework...)

B) Orson Scott Card himself would take a look at this thread. It could be debatable, even to him, when these books are set, but, well, might as well start speculating. [Razz]

Posts: 53 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats 4 years before First Contact! In 4 years they're gonna meet the Vulcans!
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

But ya amazing, I was wondering the time frame for Ender series.

I know that there is a 70 year gap between BW2 and BW3

But the gap between BW1 and modern day I don't know enough to have freigters frequenting the belt.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

edit - this was for the Vulcan comment - I'm just not quick enough!

[ April 26, 2005, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Gryphonesse ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

hehehe
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate hate hate doing timelines. As a result I end up with contradictions and anomalies.

I promise you that I have no idea whatsoever how far in the future the Ender/Shadow books extend. Well, that's too far - "about 150 years" is fair, though I wouldn't argue with 200, either.

Just remember, please, that I am not even remotely attempting a "future history," precisely because theye are so quickly outdated when they are overtaken by the calendar.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, technology in many areas were learned from the remains of the buggers, so the tech level in Ender's game would not have much bearing on real life. All we really know is that there was a militarized presence in space during the first bugger war, which is certainly conceivable in the next hundred years or so.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just remember, please, that I am not even remotely attempting a "future history," precisely because theye are so quickly outdated when they are overtaken by the calendar
Of course, that won't be any of our concern, seeing as everyone on this forum right now will have long since become fertilizer.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.