FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » How does the Mormon Church feel about your works?

Author Topic: How does the Mormon Church feel about your works?
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card,
I never really knew anything about the Mormon faith until I read your novels. I have always been fond of studying other religions and I found your novels almost addictive. I am curious about how the Mormon Church received your novels? Do you feel they welcomed them or disapproved? Personally, I thought Saints was one of the most inspiring stories I've ever read. It's quite touching regardless of your religious backround. I have often wished I had the kind of faith shown by Dinah in this story. Thank you for all the wonderful stories!

Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for all Mormons but I for one love his books. And so do all the other members of the church that I've loaned his books to. I know that there are some that don't like it but every one has different tastes.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that there haven't been any General Authorities give any official statement on OSC's works [Wink]

But, if it's any indictation, he was asked to re-write one of (if not the) largest and well known Official Church Pageants: The Hill Cumorah Pageant (now called 'America's Witness for Christ').

I was able to see this production this past summer. It was certainly impressive. I really appreciated it.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Ricks College in 91-92, and OSC came there to speak. During his speech he mentioned that he was asked to go to Salt Lake City and meet with 2 different church leaders. He described the 1st meeting as being dressed down for writing Saints and portraying the early church leaders "unflatteringly."

Needless to say, he said that he wasn't looking forward to the 2nd meeting, expecting more of the same.

But he went, and it was then that he was asked to write the script for the pageant that Taalcon just mentioned.

Based off that, he said he just chalked it up to people will get what they want out of his work, and where one person will find something that builds faith, another will find something that tears down faith. Call it human nature.

That was a way cool speech. I especially loved the anecdote about being at the Eiffel Tower in Paris and getting sick of all the tour groups being allowed to cut in line, but he didn't want to be "The Ugly American" and yell at the officials waving the groups through in English -- so he yelled at them in Portuguese. Then he pointed at the 40 or so closest people around him in line and said "Nous sommes une groupe! (We are a group!)" and. . . his "group" went up next.

I really wish I hadn't missed the Q&A session that followed, but I had a class I couldn't miss. Ah well. My next door neighbor went and filled me in on all the Xenocide spoilers that got dropped in that meeting, so I still feel like I got a little of it.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a speech by Elder Oaks, a member of the quorum of the Twelve, and he quoted an essay by OSC; so he is obviously in good standing with the highest ups. Just about everyone I know likes Card, and I live in Utah.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I currently live in Utah, and OSC used to live in my ward (congregation). He was liked by the people that remember him. Or, at the very least, those that didn't like him are too polite to say so. [Smile]
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to point out that there's no "Mormon Church". The name of our church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I'm sure most of us would appreciate it if you use the correct name. Thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry. I promise you my intention wasn't to offend anyone.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm not taking offense! I was just educating you for future reference. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
From this interview: http://www.hatrack.com/research/interviews/1999-09-writerswrite.shtml

Card :"There are Mormons who love my work and absolutely get what I'm doing. There are Mormons who think I'm the devil."
And a bit later...
Card: "the latter category is equally divided between leftwing Mormons who think I'm the devil because I'm so rigidly orthodox, and rightwing Mormons who think I'm the devil because I'm so obviously heretical. As long as the hatred is evenly balanced on both sides, I'm probably OK. As for the official Church, the reaction is that despite the distaste some Church leaders have had for some of my works, they have found me loyal enough and orthodox enough in my life and actions to engage me to write major projects for the Church..."

I recently wrote a paper on Mr. Card and I wrote a little about this. I Hope my paper didn't suck TOO MUCH, since I sent him a copy of it.

edit
clarification

[ April 27, 2005, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Mr_Megalomaniac ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.