FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Connections between Alvin and Joseph Smith?

Author Topic: Connections between Alvin and Joseph Smith?
MagusFire
Member # 6780

- posted      Profile for MagusFire   Email MagusFire         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading up on Mormonism (frankly because just knowing that OSC is one makes the religion far more appealing to me) and I noticed some things. I apoligize in advance for my lack of knowledge on the LDS faith. Chances are that this has been pointed out already, but still...

Alvin's golden plow = the golden plates that Joseph Smith received? It strikes me that Smith allowed a group of men to see his plates, similar to Alvin showing the men in Hatrack his plow. Not to mention that the plow and the plates were both what allowed the men to 'create' what they were meant to create (even the things the men created are similar, obviously; a church and, well, a temple).

And of course the men have the same last name (assuming Alvin still doesn't refer to himself as 'Maker'). That, and both Smith's events are happening around the same time, and in obviously similar areas.

Like I said, maybe this has all been noticed before, but perhaps in recreating American history, Card has replaced Joseph Smith with Alvin Maker/Smith?

[ April 26, 2005, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: MagusFire ]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tales of Alvin Maker are allegory.

Alvin is based on Joseph Smith, and as you continue reading up on him, I'm sure you'll notice many parallels between the two.

Which is sort of a sore subject here, because it means Scott is gonna kill off Alvin in the last book. Which a lot of people don't like. Especially me (I get really attached to fictional characters based on real people).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I should also say that I am woefully uninformed on Mormonism, and I didn't know that stuff I just told you until I myself was told.

So good job picking that up.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't call them allegory.

But yes, Alvin's life is loosely based on the life of Joseph Smith.

If you want to know how the Alvin series ends, look at how Joseph Smith's life ended. You'll probably get a pretty good idea.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002804#000009

Look at this thread for more info on what's to come with Alvin

ps - Alvin isn't straight allegory, but it's pretty close.

Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are thinking of something besides an allegory.

quote:
al·le·go·ry
1. The representation of abstract ideas or principles by characters, figures, or events in narrative, dramatic, or pictorial form.
2. A story, picture, or play employing such representation. John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress and Herman Melville's Moby Dick are allegories.
2. A symbolic representation: The blindfolded figure with scales is an allegory of justice.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Magus, good for you if you figured all that out about Alvin/Joseph Smith. I am always slow to pick up on symbolism, but I had heard here at Hatrack that Alvin was based on Joseph Smith, so when OSC started posting regularly after Mar. 9th, I asked him about it. His quick response is on this thread.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
==SPOILER==

OSC ALWAYS kills off his hero! (OK, so NOT always, but often!)

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's "kills off" so much as "he follows the story until the guy dies."
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of time the story should go on after the hero is eliminated/dies, like it has in several of his books (not going to name name for spoiler reasons.)

Just because the protagonist dies doesn't really have to end the story, the world goes on.

By the way, reading a short bio of Joseph Smith.. I have to say... why would Alvin let himself go that way? I mean, he has a lot to live for... a lot of reasons.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

- posted      Profile for Moonshine   Email Moonshine         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole event where Alvin gets the bad bone cut out of his leg with only his father holding him is pure Joseph Smith. That is not to say I didn't like it or think it was cool. OSC has such an amazing way of pulling the characters. I cry through many of his books because I get so attached to the characters.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.