FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » food for thought

Author Topic: food for thought
delusional1
Member # 7896

- posted      Profile for delusional1   Email delusional1         Edit/Delete Post 
after finishing shadow of the giant, i was left with so many thoughts and questions. i've jotted a few down here, and i was wondering if anyone else thought the same, or if i'm as usual alone in my insanity. . .

if there is a possible correction of anson's key, will someone find it? could bean and petra's children find it?

would it be impossible, since such an intriguing/important event shouldn't have been overlooked in the first series, that ender could have spoken bean's death?

as far as the creation of jane goes, was it really the buggers, or was it the manipulation of the mind game that triggered it? or was it both?

did anyone else, anyone from the u.s. like me, find themselves irate over the fact that the only nation not to join the FPE was the holier than thou united states? (don't get me wrong, i love my country and don't want to live anywhere else, but damn if our arrogance doesn't get the better of us sometimes, even in a fictional world)

[ April 28, 2005, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: delusional1 ]

Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 7893

- posted      Profile for Moonshine   Email Moonshine         Edit/Delete Post 
The US is very arrogant. We think that we can help everyone and when we can't we are more stubborn than an ox. But...that's a discussion for a different forum I think.

It is definately assumed that the next book will be about searching (if not finding) the key to unswitching Anton's Key.

I have different musings. I want to see the scene where Petra decides to be with Peter. I want to see the scene where Peter asks her. It's bound to be slightly unnconventional. Granted, I'm a girl so these are the things I'd naturally desire to know.

I wonder how all of the people reacted to Alai leaving. I want to know if Virlomi ever descended from her diefied throne. (Is diefied a word?) I want to see the world completely conquer its chaos. These are my musings.

[ April 27, 2005, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Moonshine ]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delusional1
Member # 7896

- posted      Profile for delusional1   Email delusional1         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm a chick, too. i have also imagined the scene when peter and petra decided to be together. i wonder how long it took? i wonder whether he wore her down gradually or if she thought that, in a way, bean wanted her to be with peter.

i want to know just how intelligent the children who didn't have the key turned were.

another thought i had when i read shadow puppets that hasn't been answered is why valentine lied and said that it was her idea that ender not return to earth. she made it seem as though peter was so horrible that he would have used ender and so on, when in all actuality, peter is the one who thought about ender and the fact that he shouldn't be used by the power hungry nations of the world.

so many questions. i wonder if mr. card has had any of these questions? or will any of them be answered? what does he think about my thoughts? god, i'm obsessed! I'm a freak!

note . . . i am not really psychotic. i promise. [Smile]

Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alistair
Member # 7858

- posted      Profile for Alistair   Email Alistair         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a guy, but I am also a complete sucker for a good love story (of which OSC has provided many of the best that I have ever read) and loved the interaction between Bean and Petra leading up to and after they were married. But at the end of SotG I was conflicted, half of me really wanted to here more about Peter and Petra, but the other half of me could not imagine a better ending (at least of the indepth part of the story) than having Petra realize that Bean had not written "I love you" in his note. That was just too perfect.

As for Val lying, I don't think that she did. She said, in Ender's Game that she had threatened Peter to force him to not bring Ender home, whereas Peter in the Shadow series seems to imply that it was his idea and that he did not want Ender to be used by the warring nations. But this is coming from the same young man who thought he could control Achilles, I would be suprised if he did not think that he could hold onto Ender and keep him from the other nations. I think that Peter's claims in the Shadow books is merely a rationalization based on the fact that it was Locke that kept Ender from returning, even though it was not have really his idea.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delusional1
Member # 7896

i would agree with that assessment if it wasn't for the fact that peter didn't "say" that to anyone. that was in his own, personal thoughts. he couldn't have thought that he could not control ender BECAUSE he was so naive as to think he could control a deeply disturbed individual who seriously needed mental help . . . or just a lobotomy, not sure which.
Alistair
Member # 7858

- posted      Profile for Alistair   Email Alistair         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a good point.

I'll have to go and check my copies of Shadow Puppets and SotG when I get a chance but I think when Peter thinks that to himself he is either angry at his parents or trying to convince himself that he is a good person, both are situations where it would be concievable that he would take credit for keeping Ender from Earth even though rationaly he knew that it was not his choice.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delusional1
Member # 7896

and one more thing . . . thru the course of manipulating the genomes to try and alleviate the unfortunate affects turning anton's key creates, did those manipulations give, eventually starways congress, the idea for the gene altering of the people of path?

or was it a modification of the virus volescu was working on that was responsible for the future alterations to make the people of path so brilliant?

i'm thinking the first explanation sounds more accurate, because that would explain how the alteration caused the heightened OCD. they hadn't set out for that to be a side effect, but when they found that it was, they used it to their advantage.

Moonshine
Member # 7893

- posted      Profile for Moonshine   Email Moonshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes sense. I'm just tired of people saying that the people of Path of descendents of Bean. He didn't have OCD.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delusional1
Member # 7896

yeah, i don't believe they were descendants of bean's, but if you can alter something in one direction, you could certainly do it by accident in another. [Smile] thanks for not thinking i'm absolutely nuts btw.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The US is the nation that never joined the League of Nations.

We think we're more than just a country. We have a mission in the world. And our mission is ... identical to that of the FPE. Only we didn't do it. So to join the FPE would be an admission of failure - that we had to join some OTHER country in order to be part of the last best hope of man. Does anybody think the US would be anything but the last, or one of the last, to join the FPE if it ever really existed?

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm the only one who thinks Beans children shouldn't be "cured". Look at Beans life compared to his brother. No offense to Nik but
Beans very existence changed the course of human history. With the possible threat from the new lien species Peter will need a new giant or three.

Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
delusional1
Member # 7896

it's not that i couldn't believe that the u.s. didn't join, it was that i was still disappointed and outraged. this is how many years in the future and the u.s. is still the same egocentric nation. i mean, how incredibly "proud" (to put it in a nice way so as not to use any expletives) do you have to be to not join a group that is exactly, not close, but exactly what you claimed to want to be because YOU didn't accomplish it first?

it's just ridiculous. the government wants us to believe that all they want to do is help make people free while all they're really doing is trying to show who has a bigger . . . it's sickening. all this talk about freedom and how we are supposed to be the example of this wonderful system called democracy and so on, and yet so many americans are still oppressed for things that aren't anyone else's business and don't hurt anyone on a daily basis. i find it disturbing.

but, there ARE much worse places to live and i do cherish the liberties i am allowed to have. that's more than a lot of people get. oh well, one day . . . i sincerely hope . . . we'll figure it out and learn how to be something other than power hungry, intolerant tyrants.

[ April 29, 2005, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: delusional1 ]

delusional1
Member # 7896

and at the risk of seeming completely neurotic . . . i figured out this morning when checking the forum that i have turned into a complete and total geek. i was so ecstatic to see that mr. card had responded to something little ol' me said, i was actually giddy for hours. how pathetic. i can't believe it means so much to me that someone whose mind i respect so much made comment on something i said. WOW!

okay, and now that i'm just a complete FREAK . . . we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. [Smile]

[ April 29, 2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: delusional1 ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.