FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » a minor question about members

Author Topic: a minor question about members
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine was reading some of the posts here over my shoulder and questioned why Mr. Card was only the 209th member- of his own site.
Unable to answer it, I turn to you.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody knows. *says it in a mysterious way, and moves his fingers around just as mysteriously*

Theory 1: 208 people joined really really fast.

Theory 2: He made an account and forgot his password.

Theory 3: 209 is his favorite number.

Theory 4: He forgot to make an account for a while.

Theory 5: He didn't know about his offical website until later.

Theory 6: (One most likely) As soon as the website was coming up, he was called on offical duty to thwart an uprise of evil light fixtures and did not have time to create an account till later.

I need to stop procrastinating and do my homework...

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Glad this isn't an... [ROFL]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think many people over here recognize the humor in that, Boon. But I do.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin*

Moose, you're a wonderful fellow, have a great family, had the cool-factor of having a character based on you in an OSC novel, and have since become the moderator of Hatrack River...

...and this will forever be your legacy at the 'Rack.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. And he has accepted it so gracefully. [Big Grin]

To answer the question, he has other member numbers as well, I think. He happens to be using this one.

Why? Ask him! [Dont Know]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is this: the first few hundred members were imported over from an earlier incarnation of the site, in roughly alphabetical order (in batches, which messes up the order a bit.)
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
had the cool-factor of having a character based on you in an OSC novel
really?
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
He is a fairly major character in Crystal City.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So anyone under 200 is an import, instead of domestic?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
But all the REALLY cool people are under #100.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mr. Davidson. That does make a bit more sense than...
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Meg was right with guess number 2. In fact, my inability to remember my password caused me to have about six memberships at one time. This is the one I remembered most often.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
My way of getting around forgotten passwords is to reuse the same 5-7 passwords, depending on the security requirement of the password. (My longest one is 15 characters long. [Big Grin] )
Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ether_ore
Member # 7844

- posted      Profile for ether_ore   Email ether_ore         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding passwords: I have a reverse problem... I forget to logoff, so every time I come back, I'm always already logged in. I never had to remember my password.

Is doing it this way bad?

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender '
O_S_C
TheRealOrsonScottCard
OSC_85845
OrsnScottCard

[Big Grin]

Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mr. Meg was right with guess number 2. In fact, my inability to remember my password caused me to have about six memberships at one time. This is the one I remembered most often.
Then I guess I've known all along, deep within me that Mr. Card is a fairly normal human. (I was really hoping for theory six, even if I didn't know what I was talking about. I'm starting to realize that happens alot to me now...)

While we're on the subject of passwords... I just use the same one repeatly, so If someone figures my normal password out then I will be quite screwed, that is, if they'd actually cared; which they won't, so I'm safe. Huzzah!

edit
If I told you here why I had to edit the message I'd have to edit this message so it didn't say why I had to edit the message

[ April 30, 2005, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: Mr_Megalomaniac ]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
had the cool-factor of having a character based on you in an OSC novel
Which character?
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be Papa Moose. From Crystal City.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I must seem horridly dumb. Well, I've got an excuse: I never read Crystal City.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute!!!

Didn't I start the OSC Conspiracy Thread?!?!

*Mutters about thunder being stolen*, J/k.

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.