FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Who ever said

Author Topic: Who ever said
DaiTenshi
Member # 7759

- posted      Profile for DaiTenshi   Email DaiTenshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That other intelligent life-forms out there have to have a brain? You'd think that they would, at least, some form of organ in thier body which is capable of thought. But getting to that, who's to say that other forms of intelligent life require thought in order to conceive of ideas? I believe thought is such a powerful concept in humanity merely because of our widespread use of language in every aspect of our activities. Another alien life-form would have no need for language, or thought, if they could convey their ideas through other means, perhaps like ESP. The Formics were similar. They didn't conceive of thought, they conceived of concepts. The conversations between The Hive Queen and The Father Trees were not in any form of language, as we so understand them to be. They were concepts, figments of mind.

It is my belief that the reason why we conceive of aliens of having language is because that is all that we CAN conceive. Or at least, that is all that the public that eats up sci-fi can conceive of. That, and communicating telepathically without language is pretty hard to exhibit on a television screen, or a novel. Well, a novel would be easier, but you see what I mean.

But getting away from that, whose to say that another life-form would have blood? Or would have organs? Or a body? We think they do, because WE do. If God created us in his image, did he create other things out there in his image as well? God is perfect, which means he doesn't have an image, or rather, his image can be found in all things. But anyway, what I was talking about. Humans are mammals because that is an efficient body-type in order to survive several environments, including our incessant need to expand. Hence, our body-type is a little more efficient at doing that, and we all get to reproduce and all of that wonderful bullshizzle. But, when one tries to conceive of an alien life-form and it's evolutionary history (because really, that's how you should do it if you're going to make it feasible to the public), don't you find it hard to give it characteristics that CAN'T be found in life on Earth? I suppose it could, since we are unfamiliar of any concepts otherwise . . . but still, I think someone should be in charge of coming up with wild ideas like that.

Kind of like the 6th toon, except for SCIENCE!!!

Well . . . that was me pacing around the room again . . . trying to decide if I should go jiggle the box inside.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
There have been many science fiction stories about aliens that have all of those characteristics you have mentioned (no bodies, no organs, no language, etc.).
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evo
Member # 7940

- posted      Profile for Evo           Edit/Delete Post 
you're absolutely right. If life occured on this planet it absolutely must consist on other planets. (if, indeed, god did create life (i'm not saying he didn't) i'm sure he wouldn't have been so wasetfull as to create millions of planets with no life)

The problem we come to is simple. The only way we can concievably look for intelligent life, is if we have some sort of boundries to look for. As with many things, Its not easy to conceptualise a completely different way to do things. All we have to go on is what we observer on this planet.

The problem comes mainly by what do you have to have to be considered life? A body? A brain? able to breathe? i don't know, but the next problem comes from if there is no language between the two species, and they don't require physical forms how can we tell?

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
One thought is that they still exist in this universe so have to same phisics that we do. So they will have some kind of perameters. Now if they were from a different universe or something...
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
All those lifeless planets are just pieces in a game he's playing with Satan. Haven't you read the book of Job? They visit each other all the time for their daily game of StarSystems; you can tell when Satan loses because he makes whatever piece he had been about to use go nova. And quasars are leftovers from times that Satan tried to cheat and got caught at it.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that I had read Job. I guess I wasn't paying attention.

[ May 02, 2005, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Portabello ]

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, then for all we know the solar system is the only thing that exists in the universe and everything else is just an illusion.

Imagine The Truman Show on a Solar-System level. The stars and quazars? Just canvas man. Just canvas.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Ha ha ha. you think the solar system exists.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belgarath
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Belgarath   Email Belgarath         Edit/Delete Post 
yes we are all a part of OSC's imagination. we are all characters in his latest book.

[Laugh] [Blushing] [Angst] [Hat]

Posts: 40 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evo
Member # 7940

- posted      Profile for Evo           Edit/Delete Post 
what if it really all is an illusion....
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine if the characters in our dreams were self aware. Would that mean that waking up would make us murderers?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaiTenshi
Member # 7759

- posted      Profile for DaiTenshi   Email DaiTenshi         Edit/Delete Post 
That takes you into the definitions of what Thought means. However, it is my understanding that any being in yoru mind that are self-aware are actually representations of your different personalities . . . so, no not murder.

Oh, if we're characters in Card's book, can I be the villain? I was always good at that . . .

HUAWAHAHAHAHAHA [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
as long as it doesn't end like St. Elswhere I won't have to hurt anyone...
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
who put LSD in the punchbowl?
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

A sentient life form, by definition, would have to have an organ to handle intelligence. But I could see having a distributed "brain" function spread out over a body. For instance, a brain that's in the skin.

Which leads to truly delicious possibilities: Human hunters kill one and take the skin home as a trophy. But the skin, constantly regenerating, is still very much alive ...

Syrjay
Member # 7706

- posted      Profile for Syrjay   Email Syrjay         Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as I read that I thought..if the skin is alive wouldn't it try to attach itself in hopes to create a symbiotic relationship...

Hunter shoots, skins lifeform, lifeform attaches to hunter.. Hunter now has two skins.. Wow..wonder if the skin would be able to change...

OK..I'm disturbing myself.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiggin105
Member # 7897

- posted      Profile for wiggin105   Email wiggin105         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, what if everything IS an illution? what if God created us in his image but that image is just thought. what if we are all just intelligent aiuas flying around and this world is just a collective illusion. or maybe this world is just an illusion for YOU and the rest of the aiuas are living in a different illusion were everyone is a Bugger. That means I am not real and you are imagining that there are other people out there that you can interact with when really we are all just figments of your imagination.

omg, i'm not real...

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Syrjay
Member # 7706

- posted      Profile for Syrjay   Email Syrjay         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I am.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiggin105
Member # 7897

- posted      Profile for wiggin105   Email wiggin105         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Human hunters kill one and take the skin home as a trophy. But the skin, constantly regenerating, is still very much alive ...
are we seeing the beginnings of a new book? lol.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the idea of a distributed brain similiar to the one presented in Mortal Gods?

That was more in the DNA, though, wasn't it?

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, an alien skin that attaches to person in a symbiotic relationship, and the skins able to change. Where have I heard that idea before? Oh yeah, Spiderman (The bad guy Venom). Science Fiction is so hard to write. Almost every good idea already has a book...
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Mr Card about Satan and God fighting over starsystems as you describe that reminds me alot of "So you wish to be a Wizard" series. Where the "Lone power" tries to kill the universe through entropy. And all the other "powers" (who are in effect take the forms of every single god/goddess/saint/spirit in history for every culture/race/species) try to stop the Lone power through wizards who try to preserve life. Its a neat series magic isnt "magic" its a combination of mathamatics and science borrowing energy from the universe to power it. I think I read all the books so far but I think one or two new ones came out.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
it can also be related to the belgaraid you know what the little voice in belgarions head told him about.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.