FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Drug Pushers of the Book World

Author Topic: Drug Pushers of the Book World
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've hooked my friend on Ender's Game.

I brought her to Hatrack Young Writer's about a year ago. She hadn't read any Card.

Now I've forced her to read EG and she loved it, though she did say every five minutes she had to remind herself the characters were children.

Wheee! I've made another addict!

So, what are your experiences in addicting other people to books, especially OSC novels?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think I've cycled the 4 Ender books through like five people now.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
8 people immediately after I read it, then cycled it through my cliche of friends...

Today, the total is probably 30+ people, with assistance (well, a little, anyway).

(first read it at age 12, btw [Smile] )

Peace,
Aphotic

Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evo
Member # 7940

- posted      Profile for Evo           Edit/Delete Post 
i sadly was caught when a pusher pushed it onto me. for 2 years i refused to read it saying "look man, theres no way a book about a 9 year old saving the world can be any good"

He constantly reminds me, whenever we meet, how he was right and i was wrong.

I loved the book. Having said that i've never pushed it on anyone.

Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I thank you. My wife thanks you. My children thank you.

Remember, it's not just addictions you're feeding. It's my family as well.

Plus (and here's the cool part) the readers that you trap into this pernicious cycle are helping pay for this website!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually keep at least 2 copies of Ender's Game on hand to loan out to people because I end up never getting them back! So I just keep re-buying it. Small price to pay for so many converts!
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I own 30 copies of EG (young adult version). I have literally pushed it on to 90+ kids (it's fun being a teacher) as well as 7-8 adults. The really cool part is that I have started to see the shadow books pop up all over school now. I gave them EG and during my intro explianed about the shadow books and have had more kids than I can count going to find them. I've currently got a group of 4-5 boys passing around a set of the shadow books that one of their parents bought for them. It's so cool seeing kids excited about reading. I've already started chatting up "The half-Blood Prince" to my classes and have told a bunch of them that I'll be at Wal-mart at midnight picking up my copy and that they should drag their parents out there to get theirs too and we can read and talk in line while checking out. I actually won't be surprised to run into one of them either. [Smile]
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.