FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Piggies.

Author Topic: The Piggies.
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
What did the Piqueninos look like in your head? I remember I had a vivid picture of Human, Rooter, Cups and the rest of the gang, and they (to me) really looked like piglets- but of course, on two feet.

Anyway, I was watching a show called "Dave the Barbarian" recently (my wife and I love this show, it's inanely hilarious) and one characer caught my eye.

Here he is: http://www.geocities.com/mike26377b/Dark_Lord_Chuckles_300.gif

The character's name is "The Dark Lord Chuckles the Silly Piggy". Granted, I know the piggies were not meant to be humorous, so please disregard the 'funny' look of the picture. The piggies really looked like this to me, and I just found it interesting that a cartoon character ended up just like my imagination's depiction of them.

Anyway, what did they look like to you?

On a side note: I noticed that Mr. Card himself posts here, and I wanted to say 'thank you' for such great literature. The Ender series is unbelieveable. I have not read Shadow Puppets, or Shadow of the Giant as of yet, but I plan on getting to them asap. Ender's Game is one of my favorite Sci-Fi novels, if not my absolute favorite.

Currently, I'm reading the Homecoming series, and I'm in book one. Fantastic can't even begin to describe this book. Thank you Mr. Card, seriously... Thank you.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really have a strong mental image in my head of what they look like.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting an image of how one "piggy" looks wasnt too hard. It would be near impossible to get different mental images of the all different piggies.

Course, I'm pretty sure Leafeater wore tie-die T-shirts, large tinted sunglasses and smelled a bit funnier than the other piggies.

[ May 09, 2005, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: TrapperKeeper ]

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhat like a pig I would imagine? ;/
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Like ALF. They're all dead ringers for ALF.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
>.<
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, they look like human toes.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Member # 7458

- posted      Profile for AB   Email AB         Edit/Delete Post 
I also imagined piggies looking something like Alf! Less cartoonish, but the same general shape. I pictured them with brown fur and longish snouts, but incredibly piercing intelligent small eys (NOT alf-like there obviously). I imagine them to be about as tall as 10-year-old humans. I also imagined them to have longer legs than the alf-ster. And I imagine the leg-padding on the inner thights to be about the same color as the fur, and the texture of rhino skin. My mind creates incredibly detailed pictures of people in books for me if I bother to look at them!!

AB

Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
Jajaja, I don't imagine them this way. Really, I don't imagine them of any form that I could remember (as woman, my visual memory( is really pathetic) but I would recognize them on having seen them, and I can say that I don't imagine them this way.
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagined them looking like Ratbert from Dilbert but with a pig snout instead of the pointed snout, random I know but that was always my imagery!
Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

- posted      Profile for Carl Conrad Coreander   Email Carl Conrad Coreander         Edit/Delete Post 
It's usually hard for me sometimes to picture an imaginary creature in my head but the piggies were really easy for some reason. Basically just a skinny pig standing on its hind feet and with human hands.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGreatMrChibi
Member # 7862

- posted      Profile for TheGreatMrChibi   Email TheGreatMrChibi         Edit/Delete Post 
I always pictured them as something of three-foot tall star-nosed moles. Go figure.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get a visual image, but every time I saw the word "piggies" in Speaker, George Harrison's song Piggies went through my mind.

"In their lives there's something lacking,
What they need's a damn good whacking!"

[Smile]

Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I pictured them having bat-like noses--you know, it made them look more alien. I figured something about their appearance was supposed to be slightly disturbing to us hunams.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archon
Member # 8008

- posted      Profile for archon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with AB on this one. Great visual work. ;')
Posts: 50 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonelywalker
Member # 7815

- posted      Profile for lonelywalker   Email lonelywalker         Edit/Delete Post 
Er... Ewoks.

Please don't hurt me...

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Something like this maybe?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the artwork a lot, but it's TOO piglike for my taste ... their look should only suggest pigginess. Then again ... this image would be great for the comic book version ...
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
A comic book SftD? Is that something planned?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always imagined something to this effect..

My ideas obout them are pretty flexibly, though.

Clicky!

Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Member # 7458

- posted      Profile for AB   Email AB         Edit/Delete Post 
Great picture! Very close to what I imagined. I think The ears should be smaller. And the mouth has to look like a mouth that could make more sounds than a human could. I wish I could draw what is in my head, but I have very little skill that way. Maybe my three-year-old who draws like a six-year-old will grow up to draw some pictures for me!
Posts: 32 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.