FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Copy of third

Author Topic: Copy of third
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

- posted      Profile for Suri-cool   Email Suri-cool         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading this book and was outraged. Ity's a kiddish book tiny but a nice little read. It's called Among the hidden by Haddix I think. But the main idea is a third. A third! That because of population laws only 2 children per family are allowed. Read the lik front flap it's a copy. I mean the whole book is diff. and the reason isn't anything like.. But I'm just saying a third thing is a copy.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
err...You people really need to stop imagining OSC is the originator of all these ideas. I keep expecting there to be a thread talking about how, now that he pointed out the problem, we should teach our fighter pilots to break out of the "ground is down" orientation.

Although, I have to admit, Ursula K. LeGuinn pissed me off when she totally ripped off the ansible.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the Shadow Children series by Haddix. I don't feel it's a ripoff. The only parallel is that there's only two kids per family. The rest of the plot is nothing whatsoever like EG.
One difference: The "third" kids, known as "Shadow Children" are all to be killed. No exceptions. They aren't just left to fend, as in Card's books.

And let's all admit population control is not copyrightable. Just because a prominent book features a concept doesn't mean it deserves a monopoly. Other books I can think of that deal with population control include Time of the Fourth Horseman,(published in 1976), Brain Child, and Lem's The Futurological Congress (1971). It's not an uncommon sci-fi idea.

I suppose J.K. Rowling ripped off Card when she lets the wizards disappear and appear in a different place instantly. It's such a ripoff of Jane's use of the Outside. [Wink]

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
Suri-Cool,

I have to agree with MrSquicky's and CRash's comments that ideas are essentially recycled throughout literature of all types. If someone can take an idea that they have come across, play with it until it becomes something different, and present it to us in a way that is entertaining or that makes us think does it really matter that a kernel of the idea was used by a different author first? All of human progress, be it in the arts, the sciences, or elseswhere, is built on what came before. Sometimes a truly new idea comes into the world, but given time even the newest, most unique, ideas will be reused and reworked in so many ways as to make the original inception of the idea seem quaint.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

- posted      Profile for Antony   Email Antony         Edit/Delete Post 
re: Although, I have to admit, Ursula K. LeGuinn pissed me off when she totally ripped off the ansible.
-----

Are you mad? Ursula LeGuin COINED the word Ansible!
http://www.hatrack.com/research/questions/q0088.shtml

apparently it was derrived from the word "answerable" because it's feesable to reply to ansible messages.
Some people thought it was an ammagram of lesbian tho [Wink]

Posts: 95 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
I think OSC even reveied that series before.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Antony,
We all go a little mad sometimes. Like when Robert Heinlein ripped off OSC's ideas about bug-like aliens. Man, that drives me nuts.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

Ye thats mad, I mean... whoever else would have thought of tat if OSC hadn't? I mean, not like Insectoid aliens are a natural progression of ideas from Humanoid and Reptiloid aliens... or like the "hive mind" had ever been though of before...
Posts: 95 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miranda
Member # 7647

- posted      Profile for Miranda   Email Miranda         Edit/Delete Post 
And what is with all these authors setting their stories in the same place? I mean really, a space station! No one knows who is copying who anymore.

m.
resisting the ground
is down
orientation

Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

yeah I mean, GOD! setting a science fiction novel in THE UNIVERSE... SO over done!
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Squicky, stop teasing them. They're frothing.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.