FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Error? w/spoilers (or merely confusion of the reader?)

Author Topic: Error? w/spoilers (or merely confusion of the reader?)
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
After reading SotG, I went back and reread SotH and Shadow Puppets. In SotH, when Petra is being held captive by Achilles, Vlad goes in and tries to win her over to their side. She says that they had a bond because he was the only other person to break when they were fighting the buggers. Am I wrong, or is this the only time this is ever mentioned? When she thinks about it in Shadow Puppets, she says that she was the only one to break. Is she just that hard on herself that she wouldn't think about Vlad breaking down too or is it something mentioned once and forgotten about?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's just that she was the one whose breakdown had the most impact on the others and was of the greatest magnitude. And Vlad breaking down was mentioned afterward somewhere in SotG, and before in ES:

quote:
"Petra wasn't the only one to blow out. Vlad went catatonic and couldn't be roused from his bunk. It took three days for the doctors to get him awake again, and unlike Petra, he was out for the duration."
Another interesting thing I noticed that never came up in the books was the third breakdown, of Fly Molo (also mentioned in ES). Petra doesn't give that one any thought at all:

quote:
"...it was Fly Molo who started laughing when he lost control of his squadron...Fly was back the next day, no explanation, but everyone knew he wouldn't be given crucial assignments now."

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
I think its because no one's breakdown was as noticible nor as important as Petra's.
It is mentioned in EG that others were breaking down but Petra's came unexpectedly. No one knew the jeesh members would break down, so she maintains the shame of breaking first and most powerfully to nearly cause a loss.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.